Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Deleting a collection from the reader

I have almost all my books sorted into collections (it's how I prefer to browse my books). I use Calibre to organize them before putting them onto my reader.

I wanted to delete a collection from my reader, so I deleted each individual book in the collection (directly from the reader, in the utility menu for each book)... it worked just fine for getting rid of the books, but I can't seem to get rid of the collection name from the list of collections. I tried shutting down the reader and starting it back up again, but it's still showing on the list. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have to do it from EBL, as far as I know.

It's best to think of a collection as a folder containing "links" to books. It doesn't disappear when you remove all the books from it, any more than a folder disappears when you delete all the files from it. It has to be manually deleted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
*Angie*
Bookish

By EBL, I'm assuming you mean ebook library... that's the software that came with the reader, right? I haven't actually used it yet, been very happy just using Calibre to organize my existing books for now. Guess I'll go check it out LOL Thank you!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Angie, ask in the Calibre forum if Calibre can be used to delete empty collections. But until you find out if Calibre can and how to do it, eBook Library is your best bet. Also, eBook Library is very easy to use to manage collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
As an ex-Calibre, new EBL 3.0 Mac version user, I think I know the answer

Calibre will create collection based on the tags you assign to books. HarryT has given you the perfect metaphor as to why the collection / folder remains on the Sony. To delete a collection, use EBL, then continue as you are in Calibre for your other book library management activity.

Never, ever, ever try and use Calibre and EBL at the same time. Switching from one to the other and back should give you no problems though - just make sure you only have one open at a time.

Calibre is brilliant - very feature rich. If you are not using all those features though (I wasn't), the new Sony EBL software is worth another look. It is much better than the previous attempts.

Good luck
amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
*Angie*
Bookish

Thanks so much for the helpful replies, everyone
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
I've never used EBL. Only used Calibre and my empty collections go away just fine when I synch up with Calibre.....?

Is this a PRS-300 specific issue? (I have a -505)

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
I've never used EBL. Only used Calibre and my empty collections go away just fine when I synch up with Calibre.....?

Is this a PRS-300 specific issue? (I have a -505)

-Jeff
Me too -- that is, my empty collections disappear after I sync with Calibre. No additional work .

(I also have a 505.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Me too -- that is, my empty collections disappear after I sync with Calibre. No additional work .

(I also have a 505.)
Ditto with my PRS-600 - with the footnote that I removed the books from the device using Calibre itself.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote