Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm looking for an e-ink reader with similar hardware to the Paperwhite (212 ppi is acceptable, maybe ~$150 price point?), one that doesn't need to be registered in order to work. Primarily, I would like better support for collections and/or integration with Calibre.
I don't know anything about them, but GoodyStore (a reliable dealer on eBay) is selling a couple, used in good working condition, Tolino Shine's for $30 each, plus shipping. These are Android based and look like they might work for you. It has a front light and 212 dpi. My ignorance is pretty much complete about these, but I thought the price looked pretty good for the specs. (If it didn't have a front light I would probably buy one.) At $30 you could try it and, if it didn't work out, put it up for sale. Meant to add, they also have microSD card slots.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tolino-Shin....c100675.m4236

Last edited by rcentros; 02-26-2018 at 12:16 AM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Awesome! That 1/3 left back + 2/3 right forward sounds like it will do the trick. Looks like Kobo it is.
You said you had an Aura HD. The first three tap options have always been in the firmware. The last one was added at least a year ago.

Also, you can swipe to turn the page and a recent update added an option to turn tapping off.
Quote:
Now I just have to decide between the Kobo Aura, Edition 2 or Kobo Aura H2O, Edition 2. The latter seems to be quite a nice upgrade while still below $200.
I like the screen size of my Aura H2O, but, it is a bit bulky. I've found I prefer the 6" Glo HD or the 7.8" Aura ONE (which my wife is currently using).

Also, there are no rumours yet, but, my bet is that Kobo releases something new in April/May. Personally, I'm hoping for a 6", 300DPI device with the same features as the Aura ONE.

And to answer another post, "nickel" is the Kobo application on their devices that does everything. It is what you see whenever you use it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You said you had an Aura HD. The first three tap options have always been in the firmware. The last one was added at least a year ago.

Also, you can swipe to turn the page and a recent update added an option to turn tapping off.

I like the screen size of my Aura H2O, but, it is a bit bulky. I've found I prefer the 6" Glo HD or the 7.8" Aura ONE (which my wife is currently using).

Also, there are no rumours yet, but, my bet is that Kobo releases something new in April/May. Personally, I'm hoping for a 6", 300DPI device with the same features as the Aura ONE.

And to answer another post, "nickel" is the Kobo application on their devices that does everything. It is what you see whenever you use it.
I don't recall the Aura HD having that option. If it did, perhaps the thickness of the device paired with the larger screen width might have made it difficult to reach past the 33%. I seem to recall it having triangular grooves or something. In that case, the 6" Aura might serve better.

I hate swiping to turn pages. Hence, I prefer to have huge tap zones for next page.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Boyue. I'll get the Tolino Shine first, though. At $30, it's worth a try before I get something more expensive. This is just gonna be secondary to my tablet anyway. The tablet's just easier to use for in-progress fanfics.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I would consider returning to Kobo if they did a 6" with a comfort light and the navigation system improved. I set up night mode with the comfort light on a Nook GL3 and it was a sight to behold. Nicest reading experience ever. I want that now. But the IMO inadequate screen navigation of the Kobo is a show-stopper for me. I could set it up in Coolreader, but I'm not sure the night-mode would work, and anyway apart from the navigation I found the Kobo Coolreader to be inferior to nickel.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
...I set up night mode with the comfort light on a Nook GL3 and it was a sight to behold. Nicest reading experience ever. I want that now...
So are you using a Glowlight 3?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just received the Tolino Shine. Page navigation isn't customizable (left 33%-prev, middle 33%-menu, right 33%-next). Will try the Boyue T65/s from Banggood.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:41 AM   #22
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Pocketbook Touch HD and HD 2 have a 6" 300ppi screen and microSD slot to expand the storage 32GB. The only difference between HD and HD 2 is that the 2 has tinted frontlight called Smartlight.

Any non-Kindle with microSD slot (or even with no slot) will allow you to "sideload" because this is the main kind of loading for them. Kobo and Onyx and Pocketbook are the most available non-Kindle devices, in that order I guess, and they are not centred around their own cloud service the way Kindle is. They are devices that know that people can already have an existing e-library from other sources.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Any non-Kindle with microSD slot (or even with no slot) will allow you to "sideload" because this is the main kind of loading for them. Kobo and Onyx and Pocketbook are the most available non-Kindle devices, in that order I guess, and they are not centred around their own cloud service the way Kindle is. They are devices that know that people can already have an existing e-library from other sources.
I disagree with you a bit. You can sideload to a Kindle as easily as you can the rest and Kobo and B&N at least are as tied in to their own services just as much as Kindle is, even if they don't do it as well.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Pocketbook Touch HD and HD 2 have a 6" 300ppi screen and microSD slot to expand the storage 32GB. The only difference between HD and HD 2 is that the 2 has tinted frontlight called Smartlight.

I have no problems sideloading books into my Kindle. It's the limited collections support that are an issue. A jailbroken Kindle with LibrarianSync would actually work great. Unfortunately, both my Kindles are running currently unjailbreakable FW (5.8.9.2 and 5.9.4).

Anyway, Amazon is running a trade-in promo on Kindles so after promo credit and trade-in gift card, my net cost is $35 + $7 sales tax. I'm hoping the new PW3 I receive is jailbreakable. If not, still undecided on Kobo or Boyue/JDRead.

The Onyx and Pocketbook, hard to find places to buy them at a good price (for delivery to US).
Old 03-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #25
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I have no problems sideloading books into my Kindle. It's the limited collections support that are an issue.
What is "limited collections support"? Too little storage? Need to open more file formats than the device supports?

Storage is expanded by microSD and file formats by installing a different reader app or by converting the existing files. Or does "limited collections support" mean something totally different?

Quote:
The Onyx and Pocketbook, hard to find places to buy them at a good price (for delivery to US).
I looked at Pocketbooks on Amazon.com. They look oddly expensive indeed and outdated too. But don't Bangood.com and Ereader.store promise free shipping worldwide?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
What is "limited collections support"? Too little storage? Need to open more file formats than the device supports?

Storage is expanded by microSD and file formats by installing a different reader app or by converting the existing files. Or does "limited collections support" mean something totally different?
Collections, bookshelves, shelves. Basically ebook organization/grouping.

For the Kindle, Amazon requires users to register their Kindle in order for collections to work and the collections information is stored in the cloud. Jailbreaking+LibrarianSync circumvents that requirement. Alas, can't JB. A JB Paperwhite 3 would've been perfect, not to mention inexpensive.

Quote:
I looked at Pocketbooks on Amazon.com. They look oddly expensive indeed and outdated too. But don't Bangood.com and Ereader.store promise free shipping worldwide?
Banggood does offer free shipping. That's where I'm planning on buying the Boyue from. Didn't see other options in stock at my target price range (~$150).

I'm not sure about ereader.store. They offer free shipping if you spend €200 but I don't plan on buying such an expensive reader and you need to create an account in order to get a shipping quote. By the looks of things, a 6" ONYX BOOX C67 ML Carta 2+ will likely end up costing ~$200 after currency conversion and shipping. I'm also going to need to read up on those make/models to see if they'll do what I want.

The Boyue runs Android so I was planning on just installing Moon+ Reader if I don't like the native reader. I'm not sure though but I think the default app may be FBReader which already does support collections (even hierarchical, iirc).
Old 03-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So are you using a Glowlight 3?
Bricked it. Didn't do anything to it that caused it really. Its just flaky.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Bricked it. Didn't do anything to it that caused it really. Its just flaky.
That's too bad. I haven't had any issues with mine. It's just slow when doing anything outside of reading.

But a visit to the Nook forums tells me I'm lucky. I hope B&N get a more stable version of the Nook OS out. But in their current state, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Amazon's running a promo so before I ordered either Kobo or Boyue, I traded in one of my Kindles (the registered one, apparently a PW2 not a PW3) for a new PW3 for $35 + tax. The new Kindle was jailbreakable so happily, I now have collections support via LibrarianSync on the new unregistered Kindle. I will just register my other, older PW3 and use that for Amazon purchased content.

Thank you all for the recommendations. Certainly was interesting to research even if I ended up going a different route.