Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #16
SolKitty
SolKitty began at the beginning.

Device: None
Fortunately, my local library does use Overdrive! After browsing for some books I plan on reading, it seems that they are all available either in Kindle/Overdrive/Epub formats - so that may be less of an issue than I expected.

Regarding the Kobo H20; I like the size, comfortlight option, and Overdrive/epub compatibility. I think the primary downside for me is having to manually connect to the PC to transfer library books. I borrow books pretty frequently and a wireless download feels like a big convenience.

I do have a Nook, but probably only 10 books on it that I would eventually want to convert/transfer over. It's been a great little device, but I always forgot to use it. When I recently tried using it again, it seems sluggish/laggy. Now that I find myself increasing my reading habits, I want the convenience of saving some trips to the library.

All that said, I'm now leaning towards the Kindle Voyage/Oasis. I will probably go to a local Best Buy so I can test out the size/feel of the devices.
SolKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolKitty View Post
Fortunately, my local library does use Overdrive! After browsing for some books I plan on reading, it seems that they are all available either in Kindle/Overdrive/Epub formats - so that may be less of an issue than I expected.

Regarding the Kobo H20; I like the size, comfortlight option, and Overdrive/epub compatibility. I think the primary downside for me is having to manually connect to the PC to transfer library books. I borrow books pretty frequently and a wireless download feels like a big convenience.

I do have a Nook, but probably only 10 books on it that I would eventually want to convert/transfer over. It's been a great little device, but I always forgot to use it. When I recently tried using it again, it seems sluggish/laggy. Now that I find myself increasing my reading habits, I want the convenience of saving some trips to the library.

All that said, I'm now leaning towards the Kindle Voyage/Oasis. I will probably go to a local Best Buy so I can test out the size/feel of the devices.
Depending on where you are in the US, you might want to wait till Wednesday to go to Best Buy or put on your entire wardrobe. It appears the entire eastern half of the US is experiencing super cold weather.
Enjoy your new reader when you get it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My public library usually has both Kindle and epub books, so borrowing Kindle books is uber easy. On the rare occasions a book is only available in epub, I use the Overdrive app on my iPhone or iPad mini. It's not my favorite way to read, but isn't bad once in a while.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #19
SolKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Depending on where you are in the US, you might want to wait till Wednesday to go to Best Buy or put on your entire wardrobe. It appears the entire eastern half of the US is experiencing super cold weather.
Enjoy your new reader when you get it.
Oh gawd yes. It actually reached 10 F degrees today and this feels like a warm up compared to this past week. I'll probably try to wait for a sale to kick in, as well - depending on how long I can hold out for.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
I have a Paperwhite 3 and just bought the Oasis 2017. Love the Oasis. Feels just like a book and love the 7 inch screen. I just use Calibre for my ePubs ... which are all DRM free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #21
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
SolKitty--I don't think you can make a wrong decision here :-)
I have both the Kobo Aura One and the Kindle Voyage--love both of them and use each probably about 50% of the time for my reading. Just wish there was someway to sync reading positions between the Kobo and the Kindle!

I really like the haptic buttons on the Voyage--wish my KA1 had those.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Remember people that are generally happy with their devices don't come on forums.

Now what country are you in?
You don't have to de DRM books to use calibre as a folder.
Kindle in the US also uses Overdrive.
Kinda true.

I came here for I was searching the internet for news of a new Nook and Amazon Kindle.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Kinda true.

I came here for I was searching the internet for news of a new Nook and Amazon Kindle.
I came here to find out everything I could about devices.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I just thought long and hard, but I can't remember why I came here. Possibly it was pure chance, i.e. I just happened on this site and it seemed interesting. Certainly I was perfectly happy with my basic kindles at the time. (Btw, thanks, Mobileread, for the huge splurging on newer models that followed my coming here, it's solely your fault! )
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just thought long and hard, but I can't remember why I came here. Possibly it was pure chance, i.e. I just happened on this site and it seemed interesting. Certainly I was perfectly happy with my basic kindles at the time. (Btw, thanks, Mobileread, for the huge splurging on newer models that followed my coming here, it's solely your fault! )
Hmmm... my original reason for finding Mobileread was looking for more information on a new toy (to me, ereaders are toys in the same sense as the Byte magazine cover back in Dec., 1975 -- Computers, the ultimate toys").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Byte_Dec_1975cov1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	161367  

Last edited by DNSB; 01-08-2018 at 02:24 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am very happy with my Kindle Oasis. I mostly read library books, but also get books from Amazon. For some reason, I thought that epub was the most stable format, so I download everything in epub. Format shifting of library books is a pretty controversial subject, so pm me if you would like to discuss. BTW I just gave my local library $2000 to purchase additional ebooks.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I am very happy with my Kindle Oasis. I mostly read library books, but also get books from Amazon. For some reason, I thought that epub was the most stable format, so I download everything in epub. Format shifting of library books is a pretty controversial subject, so pm me if you would like to discuss. BTW I just gave my local library $2000 to purchase additional ebooks.
If you have a Kindle and live in the US, why do you have to check out ePubs from the library?

I don't check out library books and don't care if you format shift. My question is in part due to my ignorance of how library e-book check out works. I thought in the US, Kindle books were most common at libraries.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you have a Kindle and live in the US, why do you have to check out ePubs from the library?

I don't check out library books and don't care if you format shift. My question is in part due to my ignorance of how library e-book check out works. I thought in the US, Kindle books were most common at libraries.
Not from what I have read on the forums.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #29
SolKitty

Wow, I'm glad to see that my post has generated so much discussion!

On the note of borrowing e-books from the library, I've gotten the impression that epub is the most common/readily available format. Though I'm not sure how prevalent the Kindle e-books have become.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to compare the Kindle Oasis/Voyage in-store. It seems the local stores are all sold out following the holidays, but I'm in no rush.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

The word "most" is a little confusing. Most books that are availlable in epub for overdrive are also in kindle. I cannot remember seeing a kindle overdrive book that is not in epub (they are far and few between if they exist).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote