Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Beppo
Beppo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle format in Sony prs 505

Its possible to buy an Ebook from Amazon.com, download it, and put it on the sony prs 505? I asume I need to convert it...

I need help, because there are a lot of books from Amazon that I would like to buy and read...

Thanks
Beppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Nope, that's the whole point of the Kindle. The privilege of buying only from them!

Technically speaking it might be possible. You would have to fool Amazon.com into thinking you had a Kindle in your account. Once you 'buy' an Amazon e-book it's encrypted to work only on that Kindle. As far as I know the only way to register one is with the device itself.

If they opened their online store to more readers they would probably sell more books. But that is apparently not good enough.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can now buy Kindle ebooks if you are in the US and have an iPhone or iPod Touch. However, they are downloaded directly to the iPhone. It is possible to get the ebooks off the iPhone and then (if they are AZW files) they can be stripped of their DRM using mobidedrm. Finally Calibre can convert DRM-free MOBI (AZW) to LRF or ePub. Stripping DRM from ebooks is generally thought to be illegal in the US, although it is hard to see who is hurt by format shifting for personal use ebooks you bought.

The Kindle Store does have the largest number of ebooks for sale in one place, but many of them are available at other stores. Some of the Kindle-only ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which isn't currently convertible to any other format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Beppo
Beppo began at the beginning.

Device: none
But can I buy ebooks from, for example, sony ebook store, if I live in sweden, and then put it on my prs 505?
Beppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppo View Post
But can I buy ebooks from, for example, sony ebook store, if I live in sweden, and then put it on my prs 505?
You can buy from the US Sony ebook store using gift certificates IIRC. There are some threads around here about it.

The other option is to buy ePub books from Books On Board, Waterstones and others that sell them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ebooks are supposed to follow the same rules as physical books as far as regional sales are concerned, because that is the way contracts are written and rights sold. This means that "US" ebooks are only supposed to be sold to US residents. Sony and Amazon are fairly strict about enforcing this, so you can't easily buy from the Sony store from Sweden. However, there are workarounds that typically involve gift cards. Most other US ebook stores (e.g. FictionWise and Books on Board) also enforce the restriction, but only on ebooks that are actually "US-only" and it is typically fairly easy for someone outside the US to buy ebooks from these sites. In my experience, UK ebook stores will sell to anyone although many of their titles are probably UK-only (or at least not-US).

In general, you are better off buying Adobe ePub or PDF ebooks than Sony LRX (from the Sony Store), because LRX ebooks can only be read on the Sony PRS or a Windows PC. Adobe PDF ebooks are not as well formatted as ePub, but you may find then are "good enough". Another option is to buy MS Reader ebooks, strip their DRM using "ConvertLIT GUI" and then convert them to LRF or ePub using Calibre. Stripping DRM isn't legal in some places though.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
jfinli
jfinli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I was wondering how i can get the books off the iphone. i bought a few books using kindle for iphone but i recently got the SONY 505. I would like to convert them for my Sony since I did buy them on Amazon and don't want to have to repurchase them

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You can now buy Kindle ebooks if you are in the US and have an iPhone or iPod Touch. However, they are downloaded directly to the iPhone. It is possible to get the ebooks off the iPhone and then (if they are AZW files) they can be stripped of their DRM using mobidedrm. Finally Calibre can convert DRM-free MOBI (AZW) to LRF or ePub. Stripping DRM from ebooks is generally thought to be illegal in the US, although it is hard to see who is hurt by format shifting for personal use ebooks you bought.

The Kindle Store does have the largest number of ebooks for sale in one place, but many of them are available at other stores. Some of the Kindle-only ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which isn't currently convertible to any other format.
jfinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
It just seems so complicated to buy a book and have to deal with stripping converting, when you can really just buy a book in a different format and load it right on. I had posted in another thread earlier about the Kindle vs the 505 and library books....I understand now that you CAN put library books on the Kindle, but you still have to go through alot of converting, de-drming, etc. whereas with the Sony you just load it on and you're ready to go. After my researching the Kindle I still don't regret buying the 505. Just my opinion.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I understand now that you CAN put library books on the Kindle, but you still have to go through alot of converting, de-drming, etc.
Still not quite right, there is no de-drming or converting involved (if it's a .mobi book).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Ok well its pdf then that you'd have to convert. if you have to go through all that trouble then why not just buy a format that the Kindle takes?
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Ok well its pdf then that you'd have to convert. if you have to go through all that trouble then why not just buy a format that the Kindle takes?
Most conversions are simple and fast. This thread is about converting Kindle books for use on the 505. You'd have to ask the posters to confirm but they probably bought the Kindle books because Amazon had lower prices and/or were the only retailer selling those particular titles in ebook form.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinli View Post
I was wondering how i can get the books off the iphone.
One option is to jail-break the iphone, see Why Jail Break?.

However, there are also file access programs that don't require you to jail-break. For Windows there is iPhoneBrowser. I have seen a Mac program recommended for this here, but I don't remember its name. There are commercial programs that do this also.

Once you have found the .prc files, they may or may not include DRM. If they do, you need your iPhone's PID (using a python script that Amazon does not like us to name) and them mobidedrm to strip the DRM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
jfinli
jfinli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I bought my kindle books for my kindle for iphone app...I didn't have an ebook reader then. When I finally decided on one, I chose the Sony so I could easily borrow books from my library. (Boy is it easy, by the way). But I would like to get those books I had bought from my kindle iphone app on my sony, since I rightfully paid for them and don't want to have to repurchase them. I downloaded that iphonebrowser but didn't see any .prc files or anything that looked like an ebook. Not sure how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Most conversions are simple and fast. This thread is about converting Kindle books for use on the 505. You'd have to ask the posters to confirm but they probably bought the Kindle books because Amazon had lower prices and/or were the only retailer selling those particular titles in ebook form.
jfinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinli View Post
I downloaded that iphonebrowser but didn't see any .prc files or anything that looked like an ebook.
Try iPhone Backup Extractor, see Kindle app for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes Store.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #15
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Still not quite right, there is no de-drming or converting involved (if it's a .mobi book).
If it's a library book in Mobi format (then it's DRM'd and has the .prc extention, right? In that case, it does need to be de-DRM'd for the Kindle, right? (Via the Igor scripts?)
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote