Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-13-2024, 07:56 PM   #1
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
Question Is the best way to view djvu files on windows 10/11 with WSABuilds & Pocketbooks app?

on my android tablet the best vewier is pocketbook app, and using pocketbooks cloud you can upload the djvu, for windows these days I would just installed pocketbook in windows subsystem for android with the builds from here if that helps anyone else at this point. I had converted 2 pdf to djvu then loaded them into the pocketbook cloud.

https://github.com/MustardChef/WSABuilds

windows 11

and for android on windows 10

https://github.com/Lyxot/WSAOnWin10

image uploader

Pocketbook image is a open book in DJVU format that I had uploaded to my pocketbook cloud converted that one a long time ago from pdf to DJVU and as you can see you can read them with this method on windows 11. both of these 2 books were converted from pdf to DJVU format, then upload to my pocketbook cloud a long time ago, I did it, but yes for me while Windows subsystem for android seems stable its not always been stable for me, there are times when the android apps didn't start or crash on startup otherwise currently they seem to work, and yes they run about the same under pocketbook app on my real android tablet too, but I kind of like being able to view them under windows also.

when from playstore install pocketbook in windows or play books for normal ebooks for viewing it, thats about the best so far I can run under windows with subsystem for android.

is this the best way to viewer for djvu files on windows currently since winjview is not that great anymore since malware is now detected in it, not sure it was the best book viewer anyway?

windjview (removed link since malware is detected from Windows Security)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=243217&page=2

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-13-2024 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added detail about my experience with WSABuilds, on my pc updated title of my post
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:05 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Well, your topic just had me find out that SumatraPDF opens DJVU format. Never tried it before.

BTW, Sumatra pre-release version has dark theme support, this was also interesting to find today
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2024, 08:17 PM   #3
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Well, your topic just had me find out that SumatraPDF opens DJVU format. Never tried it before.

BTW, Sumatra pre-release version has dark theme support, this was also interesting to find today
that's cool I have not tried that one yet, I downloaded it but I was thinking it was just for viewing pdf files, I had found it a long time ago, and I just getting back into looking at what can view djvu format the best, windows subsystem for android like I wrote has not always been stable for me, it looks like when I converted the pdf to Djvu I did use something that allowed it to ocr the pdf file, or it had that in it, since the outputed djvu does have text to speech option, working in pocketbook app under WSABuild on my pc, since its able to read the text in that book, I don't recall if Sumatra has that working or not, I have to try and fingure out what I used when converting them since its been a few years since I did it. you want to keep the text working in the djvu output if you want to to be able to read it with text to speech I think. the ocr in the ebook is not perfect, I think maybe ocr has improved since I tried it with the pdf to djvu file, but again its been a long time, I just now downloading new versions of software too, so I am not sure yet, I look into it more on my pc software.

it only seems to work in this one ebook, that other ebook I converted that alice in wonderland based djvu does not have readable text, so I must of converted it differently, I have to fingure out how I got text readable in the one, and not the other one I guess.

image uploader

by the way I learned that k2pdfopt v2.55 can not only load pdf files and output them with ocr (Tesseract) to pdf_k2opt output of the original but you can also load DjVu files into it and output it back to a pdf with OCR if you like lost the original pdf and had converted one into that other format, it might be handy.

https://djvu-spec.narod.ru/ - used DjVu-Spec Pdf 2 Djvu Converter,

seems good for converting them, since it includes a DjVu Text feature with the DjVu Images, I think this might of been what I used to include DjVu with Text to Speech in PocketBooks app.

k2pdfopt v2.55 is from https://willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-14-2024 at 01:34 AM. Reason: might of used Pdf 2 Djvu Converter for Text to Speech with OCR from other app included info here too.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:25 PM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
oh, WSA is new to me, looks very cool! I occasionally run an android emulator on win10, will take a look at it sometime
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:34 PM   #5
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur

Quote:
oh, WSA is new to me, looks very cool! I occasionally run an android emulator on win10, will take a look at it sometime
just make sure you download the WSABuilds for Windows 10 , since windows 11 builds will cause windows 10 PowerShell software to block the install, I had to download a few of the releases from GitHub for it, since some of them don't install, you kind of have to test it also you want builds with google play store included and either amazon store removed, or keep it in that too if you use that amazon store app, that's up to you .

these are the ones I had downloaded and extracted them with 7 zip app under windows if that helps you, some were like windows10 for my older desktop running windows 10, and the ones listed without windows 10 in the folder names were for windows 11, I had some problems installing the windows 10 builds on my desktop I think some updates caused problems not really sure since running it on windows 10 is a bit more unsupported than getting it up and running on windows 11, from my experience of working with the installers they include. you want the ones that include MindtheGpps, and I mistakenly I downloaded one with NoGapps, that one doesn't work well since it doesn't include play store, I find it easier to install pocketbooks from google play store, than downloading an apk file and installing in within windows subsystem for android, but that could work too, I just didn't try that.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-13-2024 at 08:43 PM. Reason: edited my reply for mistakes in my written was needed.
Advert
Old 02-13-2024, 11:23 PM   #6
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur

Quote:

fbreader reader is another option for opening DJVU files and loading them like pocketbook also fbreader has a windows store version and windows ports besides the android version of the software, I don't know how it compares to pocketbook app but that is another option in windows for viewing and access the outputs of djvu from pdf files.it works with android, IOS, linux distros and windows. it might be a better viewer for opening the djvu files, but you still have to load them into a cloud in order to access them from this software on windows, I think the fbreader on android can open files directly on your tablet, but it looks like the windows software is not exactly the same in its interface. would be good for djvu if the windows version supported it, it cannot open djvu files under windows, I am sure the android version supports it but not the windows port it seems. the android port does a djvu plugin with the software, I don't know yet if the windows port just doesn't have or bother to include pdf or djvu support but fbreader can be used with WSABuilds, so its still possible to access your cloud djvu files from it. text to speech does not work in fbreader on android, and I have not found a djvu plugin for the windows version yet. but it is another reader, but unlike pocketbook android app, it doesn't seem to support a book like inteface for the djvu files, it shows 2 pages seperated it can turn like a book, but it doesn't seem to look like it does in pocketbook, that's the same djvu file loaded onto fbreader cloud site, with my google access, and it does load it in android but not windows port yet. I think I said this but no text to speech features for djvu in fbreader compared to pocketbook that has text to speech with it otherwise it usable.

https://books.fbreader.org/tutorials.html

https://fbreader.org/

https://books.fbreader.org/catalog#add-books

another option is to use google

https://books.fbreader.org/catalog#add-books

https://books.fbreader.org/home

by the way I learned that k2pdfopt v2.55 can not only load pdf files and output them with ocr (Tesseract) to pdf_k2opt output of the original but you can also load DjVu files into it and output it back to a pdf with OCR if you like lost the original pdf and had converted one into that other format, it might be handy.

https://djvu-spec.narod.ru/ - used DjVu-Spec Pdf 2 Djvu Converter,

seems good for converting them, since it includes a DjVu Text feature with the DjVu Images, I think this might of been what I used to include DjVu with Text to Speech in PocketBooks app.

k2pdfopt v2.55 is from https://willus.com/k2pdfopt/

the only thing about converting pdf to DjVu then loading them into either FBReader cloud or PocketBooks Cloud system, is that when converting them, I don't recall a box for the authers name, as it seems to end up labeled as unknown, but the book has the correct title name, that's the only small problem with turning pdf into DjVu files, I have not found a way to label the authers name for each these types eBooks.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-17-2024 at 02:59 AM. Reason: added comment, about Pocketbook app seeing auther name as unknown label, otherwise they load fine