Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-11-2024, 05:51 AM   #1
TTY15
TTY15 began at the beginning.

Device: none
autoscroll while reading aloud

I followed this advice to introduce smooth scrolling with mouse with epub.

Code:
body.calibre-viewer-scrolling::before, body.calibre-viewer-scrolling::after
{ display: block; height: 100%; content: ""; }
Now I can scroll without jumping at page breaks.

But when I use "read aloud" I can't even scroll with mouse. Any advice? Scrolling with mouse while reading aloud would be great but auto-scrolling with the speed of reading aloud would be totally fantastic.

Last edited by TTY15; 02-11-2024 at 05:55 AM.
TTY15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
read aloud scrolls automatically. You can scroll while it is in progress since it highlights the currently being read word on screen.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 09:26 AM   #3
TTY15

So, it doesn't work for me. Do I need to enable some options to have this or is it default behavior?
When I use "read aloud" it reads text from next page but it doesn't scroll automatically nor I can scroll with mouse.

It also doesn't highlight text while reading.

I use Calibre e-book viewer 7.3.0-1 on Manjaro Linux.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That will be because whatever engine you are using to provide TTS is not sending word completion data. Configure it to do so and you will be fine.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:13 AM   #5
TTY15

Please can you give more hints? I use piper and on its github I haven't found anything searching for "word completion data".

Do I need to edit epub properly? Do page breaks make any difference? I exported from LO Writer, so epub maybe not clean. Would using different format than epub make a difference?
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 10:29 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No Idea, I dont use pied, switch to something like espeak or festival and you will be fine.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:05 AM   #7
TTY15

You are correct. It works with espeak just fine. But it has such terrible voices.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:05 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should contact the developrs of ur preferred engine and ask them to implement word notifications.

Tags
read aloud, scroll