Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 AM   #1
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
Windows 10 March Update issues w/ Kobo Aura One

Well my PC decided to restart itself and installed the March 2017 Windows Updates. SAD FACE all the time now. Looks like any of my connected devices whether they be a table, phone or ereader like my Kobo Aura One or Kobo Aura HD really really don't like the new windows update! All devices with internal storage or external SD card slots etc either don't work or blue screen my system on connection. I have little or no idea why beyond a google search that mentioned some people are having issues with a driver update that was rolled out to a select few people after being pulled in December for not working and then rolled out selectively again this month.

Tried rolling back changes by using System Restore but that did not work as all of my restore points are corrupted or some such. Just says sorry system restore failed blah blah blah! Tried 10 different restore points all failed.

Well looks like i am ok though my laptop does not have automatic updates as i turned them off via group policy editor and turned off automatic drive updates in System Settings in Control Panel. But main desktop PC is hosed for USB Mass Storage devices again.

Almost decided to try and do fresh install and see if they push the driver update again. Trying to decide whether to go that route and just turn off automatic driver updates and go do them manually and see if that lets it work?
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I bought new windows 10 laptop about 1 year ago. Didn't like it. Installed Linux Mint and it just works like it should without updates breaking things. It runs calibre and connects to my kobo readers without problems.
Windows 10 problems?

Last edited by filmo; 03-16-2017 at 09:48 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Just tried it on my KA1 and Glo. Works fine for me. Maybe some specific combination of hardware/software on yours that's causing it grief. O/S build: 14393.953
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
If this is affecting all your USB mass storage devices, then this looks like either a Windows bug, or a problem with your hardware.

In other words nothing to do with Kobo and your thread subject is a little misleading!
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
OK, I had a weird experience that might be related last night.

My Windows 10 laptop had updates ready to install when I went to bed the night before last. So, I saw it had updated when I got home last night. And none of my Kobo devices were recognised. I restarted the devices to make sure that wasn't it. And I plugged them in a couple of times while checking. Windows always displayed an "unrecognized device" message. Several four letter

I did a couple of other things (dinner, trying to solve a problem with my NAS, trying to find an USB Type B cable - I kept tripping over it all week, but when I needed it, it was nowhere to be found) and came back to post a comment in this thread and elsewhere. I plugged one of the devices in to get the exact error. It connected properly and calibre did it's thing. I then checked the other devices and they were all OK.

I have no idea why it fixed itself. I didn't restart the computer and I can't think of anything that I did that would have changed things between the connections. But, it's working again, so I'm happy.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before I allow Windows Updates, I'll have to backup my laptop just in case things go south and I'll be able to restore.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Well a bit of an update and a correction. After a few days now all of my devices save my kobo Ereaders are now working on PC. They still work on laptop which has not been updated yet. Kobo shows up as an unknown device and windows gives an error msg saying usb device has malfunctioned. I don't remember exact error. But it shows up in device manager as some weird combo of letters and numbers for device name with yellow triangle. Uninstalling kobo drivers and uninstalling device has no effect. Plugging device into different USB port has exact same result. Plugging kobo into laptop and everything works great. So not sure what is going on except problem occurred after March updates and I can't roll them back. So I guess I have to wait and just used my laptop to transfer eBooks from Calibre and hope the PC issues is resolved by either kobo Or MS as I don't want to reinstall Windows until I have no other choice. I had Just reinstalled a little over 3 weeks ago to refresh system lol.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Long before Stephen King, there was Robert Bloch.

“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Long before Stephen King, there was Robert Bloch.

“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch
I don't understand the relevance to windows update or issues with kobo devices? How does your statement have any meaning with regards to the topic?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0rmatrix View Post
I don't understand the relevance to windows update or issues with kobo devices? How does your statement have any meaning with regards to the topic?
In the spirit of topic drift that plagues Mobileread, I was pointing out that your signature should give credit to Robert Bloch. To quote from Neil Gaiman, "Steve King would occasionally quote it, usually giving attribution, as in "As Robert Bloch said, I may seem scary, but I have the heart of a little child. I keep it in a jar on my desk."" .

And yes, I realize that many here have either forgotten or never knew Robert Bloch. Most of those who do know him remember him solely as the author of Psycho on which was based the movie. My first connection with him was his Tales in a Jugular Vein followed by a used copy of Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper.

For Windows issues with Kobo ereaders, Windows 10 Insider build 16053 has no issues connecting to my Kobo ereaders nor do my Windows 10 1607 Anniversary Update (OS Build 14393.969) devices.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-21-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I had the march update and my kobo glo hd is on 4.2.8432. I haven't noticed anything unusual, it had no problem whatsoever connecting to my pc.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 AM   #12
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast

Checked Windows Update today and there was a new update to fix Bugs and it fixed my kobo issues. I am pleased to report my Kobo Aura One is now working as expected! So happy now
Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Checked Windows Update today and there was a new update to fix Bugs and it fixed my kobo issues. I am pleased to report my Kobo Aura One is now working as expected! So happy now
That's good news. Thanks for the update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Good to hear. One of the reasons my laptop has device driver updates turned off. Dual video chips (Nvidia/Intel) and when Microsoft updates the Intel driver, it did weird things when I switched to the NVidia chipset. Made me realize that there is a good reason that the manufacturer packages the two video drivers together.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
Ms M
Enthusiast
Ms M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi
Luckily, I just found this forum...I too, have had an issue with Windows 10 not recognizing my KOBO GLO, and neither does Adobe Digital Editions.
I just purchased my Windows 10 laptop this month. After downloading an ePub book from my local library to ADE, I noticed my KOBO wasn't listed as a device. I shut everything down, reconnected my eReader first, then uploaded Adobe Digital Editions.....still no KOBO. I checked My Computer and as before, it wasn't listed as an extra device. Why is my KOBO not detected??

I was running VISTA on my old computer, and will probably have to use it to transfer the book to my eReader (seeing as I only have access to the book for 14 days!) but we all know with no more updates to VISTA, that should end soon.... I was sort of hoping to be able to put the old laptop out of its misery..

I am definitely not computer savvy, so any help you guys can render would definitely be appreciated....Thanks in Advance
Ms M is offline   Reply With Quote