Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #1
amorales
amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo aura one
Kobo Aura One batch N7096Axxxxxx any issues?

Hi all!

Really want to get a Kobo aura one. But, do not want to have the issues posted on this board. Dropped in to a store in Hong Kong (Swindon Books) and checked their stock which they claimed to have received just last week. What's intriguing is the serial number does not have 6000,7000,8000 etc in it.

This particular one had serial number N7096A003058.

Has anyone read, seen or heard of any issues with this batch/serial number?

The shop claims to have sold 20 or so and zero returns. Any returns, even next day/same night, means you have to wait for them to send it to Canada Kobo apparently and wait for repair replacement 3 weeks or so.
amorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorales View Post
Hi all!

Really want to get a Kobo aura one. But, do not want to have the issues posted on this board. Dropped in to a store in Hong Kong (Swindon Books) and checked their stock which they claimed to have received just last week. What's intriguing is the serial number does not have 6000,7000,8000 etc in it.

This particular one had serial number N7096A003058.

Has anyone read, seen or heard of any issues with this batch/serial number?

The shop claims to have sold 20 or so and zero returns. Any returns, even next day/same night, means you have to wait for them to send it to Canada Kobo apparently and wait for repair replacement 3 weeks or so.

Where does it say it has to have a 6000/7000/8000 in it ?

Mine starts with N7096 as well. It's a good unit, no issues w/ it.
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Maybe they've at last sorted the early build problems out.
TheHazardsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
amorales
amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Where does it say it has to have a 6000/7000/8000 in it ?

Mine starts with N7096 as well. It's a good unit, no issues w/ it.
Doesn't state it anywhere per se officially. But some posts and feedback on here indicate issues with these batches or at the very least some had issues with theirs from these batches. Besides they all start with N7096 don't they?

It's the numbers after that eg N70968000xxxxx, N70969000xxxxx. What's after N7096 on yours?

These ones I saw were not a number instead letter A. N7096A00xxxx

Last edited by amorales; 10-30-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Such serial numbers can have place of manufacture codes in addition to the number for the device itself. This looks like it starts with the model then, perhaps the code for the plant that assembled the device, then the SN.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@amorales: I don't think we have seen enough serial numbers to judge the batches or even know what they are. I asked someone here about them a couple of weeks ago because he had two in his hands and was comparing them.

For the structure of the serial number, the only thing we know is that the first four characters are the model number. This is the case for most Kobo devices. From the small sample we have, the fifth and sixth would the candidate for a batch number, but, as Ken suggests, they might be the plant or assembly line.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Why don't you just ask the people who bought the devices from the bookstore? I saw them talking about their new KA1 in Hong Kong forums.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:21 AM   #8
amorales

Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
Why don't you just ask the people who bought the devices from the bookstore? I saw them talking about their new KA1 in Hong Kong forums.
Can you link me as not sure which forum you are referring to? I don't understand any Cantonese so hopefully it's in English.

And they must have bought it through the same company since it's the sole authorised retailer/distributor in HK I think.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:14 AM   #9
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Well, after 8xxx and 9xxx a batch number Axxx seems to be the next logical step, after all.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #10
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you link me as not sure which forum you are referring to? I don't understand any Cantonese so hopefully it's in English.

And they must have bought it through the same company since it's the sole authorised retailer/distributor in HK I think.
I am sorry that the forum is in Cantonese. Do you want me to ask them questions for you?

There are 2 places you can buy Kobo in Hong Kong. But only the Swindon Bookstore is authorised.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:02 AM   #11
amorales

Quote:
I am sorry that the forum is in Cantonese. Do you want me to ask them questions for you?

There are 2 places you can buy Kobo in Hong Kong. But only the Swindon Bookstore is authorised.

Yes please! Thank you very much.

After lots of searching I found this link
http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthrea...ge%3D1&page=21

But not sure if that's the forum you are referring to? And then Google translate makes zero sense when it translates it into English

If you could ask them the following would be super:
I would love to know about this Serial Number I saw in the shop as I listed. Are there other SNs that others have or does everyone have this?
Any problems with the product they received and if so what is their SN?
If they had problems, what were they and what did the shop do to fix it (immediate replacement? Refund? 3 weeks wait for Kobo Canada to change and send back?)?
Apparently from Swindon the stock is covered by Kobo Canada wherever you are if it goes faulty anyway? Any one confirmed this?
Do they have the original sleep cover case and if so does it have the drain issue and such as stated on this forum?

Thanks very much!

Ps Is the other place yohohongkong? If so, they seem much more than $1899hkd Swindon charges and also what happens with warranty if not authorised?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
344a
Groupie

Quote:
Yes please! Thank you very much.

After lots of searching I found this link
http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthrea...ge%3D1&page=21

But not sure if that's the forum you are referring to? And then Google translate makes zero sense when it translates it into English

If you could ask them the following would be super:
I would love to know about this Serial Number I saw in the shop as I listed. Are there other SNs that others have or does everyone have this?
Any problems with the product they received and if so what is their SN?
If they had problems, what were they and what did the shop do to fix it (immediate replacement? Refund? 3 weeks wait for Kobo Canada to change and send back?)?
Apparently from Swindon the stock is covered by Kobo Canada wherever you are if it goes faulty anyway? Any one confirmed this?
Do they have the original sleep cover case and if so does it have the drain issue and such as stated on this forum?

Thanks very much!

Ps Is the other place yohohongkong? If so, they seem much more than $1899hkd Swindon charges and also what happens with warranty if not authorised?
Yup. That's the forum I referred to. Google translation doesn't work on Cantonese at all. Cantonese is quite different from the Chinese language.

I will raise the question for you, and I hope the people would answer me.

I bought my H2O from yohohongkong 7 months ago. They are not authorized to sell kobo. They don't have return/refund policy. The staff don't even smile when you pay them money. So why the hell did I buy it from them? Well.. because they were cheaper the time when I bought my H2O. And at that time Swindon wasn't a "real" kobo retailer yet.

I was told this before:
If you buy the KA1 from Swindon, and any thing goes wrong with that device, they said they would send it back to the US ( or Canada, I don't know) free of postage charge for repairing. Any extra costs will be on you. I don't think they will give you another one right away.

I know some people are buying their KA1 from Canada, and then send it to the US, then ship to Hong Kong or China. In this way, they don't need to pay taxes to Canada government. And the postage cost is much lower shipping from the US to Hong Kong than from Canada to Hong Kong. So where the KA1 will be from? I can't tell.

Last edited by 344a; 10-31-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
344a
Groupie

@amorales
http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthrea...extra=page%3D1
OK. There are 4 people who bought from Swindon answered me. 3 of them said they have the battery draining problem. 2 of them have the SN starts with N7096Axxxx. One have N70968xxxxx.
PS: They all are using Koreader insteal of Nickel.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:33 PM   #14
amorales

Quote:
@amorales
http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthrea...extra=page%3D1
OK. There are 4 people who bought from Swindon answered me. 3 of them said they have the battery draining problem. 2 of them have the SN starts with N7096Axxxx. One have N70968xxxxx.
PS: They all are using Koreader insteal of Nickel.

Hope it helps.

Awesome!

So no other issues? No screen problems? No misaligned frames? No gaps? No misaligned lighting LEDs inside?

Does the N7096Axxxxxx turn light orange at maximum natural light or dark orange/reddish? I think the N70968xxxxxx turns red if I remember based on a photo here somewhere...

Did they update to the latest firmware and latest koreader?

Do any of them have the sleep cover case? Any problems with it?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:53 AM   #15
344a
Groupie

Quote:
Awesome!

So no other issues? No screen problems? No misaligned frames? No gaps? No misaligned lighting LEDs inside?

Does the N7096Axxxxxx turn light orange at maximum natural light or dark orange/reddish? I think the N70968xxxxxx turns red if I remember based on a photo here somewhere...

Did they update to the latest firmware and latest koreader?

Do any of them have the sleep cover case? Any problems with it?
I am sure they all got the latest firmware of Kobo. But I am not sure about the latest koreader. They should have done it though. Because that's the things they have been talking about in that thread.

One of the guys got a darker bottom right corner. Another one got a Kobo sleep cover case, and his KA1 would wake up by itself time to time. He said he knows it because he can see the light coming out from the charging port. Also the page would turn by itself when the KA1 been waked...

Well, all these problems would be fixed in the near future, I guess.

It is up to you amoracles.

Last edited by 344a; 11-01-2016 at 02:03 AM.