Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
lucasrato
Enthusiast
lucasrato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Manually update KOreader without losing data

So, I want to update my KOreader, but I do not want to connect to wifi because I'm afraid amazon might OTA update my kindle firmware.

I also don't want to only replace the KOreader files with newer ones because I might lose my highlights, bookmarks and reading position (I see there's a folder called cache, is it safe to replace everything besides that folder?)

lucasrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Put the koreader zip package in Kindle root (well /mnt/us/ internally). Then use the KOReader update option in the KUAL menu.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Put the koreader zip package in Kindle root (well /mnt/us/ internally). Then use the KOReader update option in the KUAL menu.
It did not work.

It only appeared a checkmark before the "Update KOreader" option, and at the bottom appeared "Try to update KOreader..."

Nothing after that. I even tried opening it afterwards, but I'm still with the previous version
Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
By any chance did you rename the koreader zip file? It expects the full filename, afaik. If it hasn't been renamed, you should probably report the bug in the KOReader thread or on github.

Last time I updated (maybe around July?), an overwrite/merge with the package contents was fine.

Last read position, bookmarks and highlights are stored in a .sdr folder where the book is located and not in koreader. The settings and cache are generated upon initial use so they're not present in the zip file (hence, nothing to overwrite with).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
By any chance did you rename the koreader zip file? It expects the full filename, afaik. If it hasn't been renamed, you should probably report the bug in the KOReader thread or on github.

Last time I updated (maybe around July?), an overwrite/merge with the package contents was fine.

Last read position, bookmarks and highlights are stored in a .sdr folder where the book is located and not in koreader. The settings and cache are generated upon initial use so they're not present in the zip file (hence, nothing to overwrite with).
I did not rename it, but it seems to be a bug on my KOreader. I deleted the file and tried to run the update again, expecting an error like "no package found", but it still gives me the "try to update koreader . . ." message...

I guess I'll have to risk overwriting the files, let's hope everything goes well
Advert
Old 12-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
lucasrato
Enthusiast

It seems to have worked. I tried to run the update again just to be sure (after the overwriting), and I still got the message "try to update koreader...". I don't know why. I can't update by using this method, unfortunately.

But fortunately, overwriting the files seems to have worked well.
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's no progress bar. It'll take as long as it'll have to, *then* print a final "success/failure" message.

Unless you're running some truly horrendously old KOReader build (because there was a naming scheme change a few months ago, so an old KUAL extension won't detect current packages, and vice versa).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-29-2019 at 04:02 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There's no progress bar. It'll take as long as it'll have to, *then* print a final "success/failure" message.

Unless you're running some truly horrendously old KOReader build (because there was a naming scheme change a few months ago, so an old KUAL extension won't detect current packages, and vice versa).
It's not that old. I was with the 2019.09 version, wanted to install the 2019.11. But it seems like the "update" button does not recognize if I have or not a package in my root folder, so it just get stuck at "Try to update KOReader . . .". It's not even "stuck", because I can still click other stuff, like go to parent menu, etc. So I think it isn't working for me here.

I'll try to launch it now and give it half an hour, without having any package at all at the root folder, let's see if it changes anything
Old 12-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
lucasrato
Enthusiast

25 min now, I was taking a shower, it entered in screensaver, when I turned on again, it was still on "Try to update KOReader . . ."
Old 12-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That won't disappear, actually ^^.

As with most of my extensions, there's two different set of messages:

* The one in KUAL's footer (i.e., the one you're talking about). It'll always appear, even if the action the button points to is utterly broken. It will stay there until the next (KUAL) button press.

* Anything else the extension might want to do on its own. Here, there are a few messages printed near the bottom of the screen, at the beginning (f.g., "no packages found" or "updating to v2019.12"), and at the end ("fail"/"success").
If you don't see those, chances are your (KOReader KUAL extension) setup is broken. There are a number of ways this could genuinely happen, because Kindle. (Also, it was just broken for quite a while until last July/August ^^).

Can't say much more without checking KUAL's log, or running the extension manually in a shell.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:12 PM   #11
lucasrato
Enthusiast

where can I find the log file?
edit: found it.

error:
Quote:
sh: write error: Broken pipe

Last edited by lucasrato; 12-29-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. That's... not good? .

I'll double-check when I find a few minutes. The KUAL extension needs some cleaning up anyway.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #13
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Please do!! I think I need a cleaning as well, I probably did something wrong.

I had a previous version of KUAL installed, then I lost JB, then I regained GB, then I reinstalled KUAL, without knowing if this was the correct procedural.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Remember when I said it was broken until July/August?

Turns out it's still broken .
Old 12-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #15
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
When a simple fix turns into a lot of work. Thanks for being thorough.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote