Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-20-2024, 04:55 PM   #1
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast
KaizaCorp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
ebook viewer crashing on launch (7.5.1)

After updating to the most recent version (7.5.1 currently) I now have the issue where using the Calibre ebook viewer crashes when loading any ebook. I ran it with the debug flag and got the following output:

Code:
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 81.55183946488295 x 81.64285714285714
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
ApplicationPaletteChange event received
QWindowsGLContext::makeCurrent: wglMakeCurrent() failed (The handle is invalid.)
QRhiGles2: Failed to make context current. Expect bad things to happen.
Failed to create QRhi for QBackingStoreRhiSupport
Failed to make context current.
[0.000] Load of book started
[0.016] prepared emitted
[0.047] webview loading requested
I've had this issue after updating in the past, but restarting always seemed to fix it. However this time that doesn't seem to be a solution. Has anyone encountered this? Perhaps a library I need to reinstall? Downgrade a graphics driver?

Thanks!
KaizaCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The problem is here
QWindowsGLContext::makeCurrent: wglMakeCurrent() failed (The handle is invalid.)

Defintely a GPU driver issue. Try rolling them back if they were recently updated or try updating them if there is an update available. You can also try using software rendering as described in https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:02 PM   #3
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

On the latest AMD driver which lines up with when the issue started.

I've tried using the --disable-gpu flag with ebook-viewer.exe to force software rendering but no luck there (as there doesn't seem to be an equivalent option with calibre-debug.exe ?) I tried setting an environment variable (in Windows 10) but that hasn't had any effect either. Is there any other method of forcing software rendering?

Thank you for your time!
Old 02-21-2024, 01:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the env var is the only method, you dont specify it ont he command line, you set the env var. Possibly reboot to make sure the env var is set everywhere.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:55 PM   #5
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Ah I had an extra underscore in the environment variable. Thank you! I ran it again (calibre-debug.exe --viewer) and the ebook window shows up now, but the contents of the window are all blank / not visible.

Here is the debug output:
Code:
QWindowsGLContext::makeCurrent: wglMakeCurrent() failed (The operation completed successfully.)
[0.015] prepared emitted
[0.078] webview loading requested
[0.281] bridge ready
[0.390] iframe ready
[0.453] loading finished
If I mouse over the window I can see the cursor change as it goes over text, and can copy/paste text from the ebook, however it's all just not visible. It's the same when opening ebooks directly from Calibre as well.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sounds like you have white text on white background (or Black on Black)
try a color override (using preferences)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:30 PM   #7
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sounds like you have white text on white background (or Black on Black)
try a color override (using preferences)
I last had it set to black text on sepia background. Let me clarify, no interface elements are visible, the window is completely blank. If I resize the window from smaller to larger, it becomes black. Some kind of rendering issue or elements not being drawn?

EDIT:

Okay, interestingly I can see the text and interact with the ebook if the window is started *not* maximized (however the text is not rendered properly, kind of jagged). If I maxmize it, everything goes blank again and I have to relaunch to be able to see anything. If I try to fullscreen it, instead of going blank the content of the window stays as is, but I can no longer see page changes or UI elements.

EDIT2:

Even stranger, if I take the non-maximized window with the jagged fonts (for both UI and ebook text) and drag it to the top of the screen (which is an action that would maximize the window) but *do not* let go of the mouse button and instead drag it down and away from that zone, the text is rendered with jagged edges.

So to recap:

Software rendering works, but:

- the window needs to be not full size on launch
- the window needs to be "refreshed" by moving it to the top area to maximize and back down again
- maximizing the window will prevent any changes from being rendered
- starting the window maximized only shows a blank window

EDIT3:

This behaviour is persisting even without the "--disable-gpu" environment variable on QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS, so still to do with this gpu driver version as I can't seem to get the software rendering to work.

Last edited by KaizaCorp; 02-21-2024 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Further data for the bug
Old 02-22-2024, 10:55 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you on a laptop with dual video cards? If so, set calibre to use the other video card. This solution has helped others.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:31 PM   #9
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you on a laptop with dual video cards? If so, set calibre to use the other video card. This solution has helped others.
No, I'm on a desktop with an AMD graphics card (RX 6750 XT) and no on-board graphics (AMD Ryzen 5 5600).
Old 02-27-2024, 02:42 PM   #10
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Couldn't get the software rendering to work, but I downgraded my graphics drivers to AMD Adrenalin 23.12.1 and it's working normally.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:45 PM   #11
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Upgraded Calibre to 7.8 (on the same AMD Adrenalin version as before 23.12.1) and getting this ebook viewer rendering issue once more.

Window shows up but only renders white when maximized or in windowed mode but larger than the screen / out of bounds. If the window Mouse pointer changes when over different elements and text can be copied, but only renders as white.

Ebook contents only visible if launched with the window strictly smaller than the size of the screen in windowed mode. Text is not rendered properly and needs to be dragged against the top of the screen (some kind of pre-maximization step?) and then dragged backed down to not render it as white. Once it gets rendered white it won't change back and needs to be relaunched.

Here's the output when running from the command line:

Code:
QQuickWidget: Failed to get a QRhi from the top-level widget's window
QQuickWidget::resizeEvent() no QRhi
QQuickWidget: Failed to get a QRhi from the top-level widget's window
QQuickWidget: Attempted to render scene with no rhi
[0.015] prepared emitted
[0.047] webview loading requested
[0.375] bridge ready
QQuickWidget: Attempted to render scene with no rhi
[0.500] iframe ready
[0.547] loading finished

Last edited by KaizaCorp; 04-18-2024 at 03:52 PM.