Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-09-2024, 07:44 AM   #1
NorbertJh
NorbertJh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Viewer does not change font size

Hi everybody!

I have encountered the problem that the E-Book Viewer does not react to the Increase/Decrease font size commands at all. Neither by shortcut, toolbar or right click menu.
This problem occurs with all e-pubs (epub and azw3) and with calibre 7.4.0 and 7.5.1.

I have already stripped the embedded style sheets. Starting by removing any font-size: statement to merely nothing expect font-family: with no success.
Meaning: I can change font and size there, which is obeyed, but can not enable changing the font size while reading an e-book.

What do I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Norbert
NorbertJh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:19 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shortcuts (ctrl++, ctrl+-) work for me on Windows 10.

Did you try reading the "Quick Start Guide"?

Which OS?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:58 PM   #3
NorbertJh

Yes, I read the quick start guide.
The OS is Manjaro/Plasma, same problem with Arch/Plasma.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.113.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.7.0-0-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1260P
Memory: 31,1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
Manufacturer: TUXEDO
Product Name: TUXEDO InfinityBook S 15/17 Gen7
System Version: Not Applicable

Linux jhn2 6.7.0-0-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Jan 8 02:04:09 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Old 02-09-2024, 04:21 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I should have been explicit.

Can you adjust font size when reading the Quick Start Guide?

BR
Old 02-09-2024, 05:53 PM   #5
NorbertJh

I can NOT with this version:
https://ia902907.us.archive.org/19/i...0Schember.epub

I can change the font size with this:
https://www.stempublishing.com/ebook...0Schember.epub

Pardon for having to download the quick start guide.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:04 PM   #6
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
as a temporary workaround, you could try Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel (this works on Windows)
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:56 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbertJh View Post
I can NOT with this version:
https://ia902907.us.archive.org/19/i...0Schember.epub

I can change the font size with this:
https://www.stempublishing.com/ebook...0Schember.epub

Pardon for having to download the quick start guide.
Both are OK for me on Windows, and Ctrl+mouse wheel.

Must be a Linux glitch Ψ³

Are you running a distro version of calibre, or the 'official' version from ==>> https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

BR
Old 02-09-2024, 07:23 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Are you running a distro version of calibre, or the 'official' version from ==>> https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
Considering that the OP mentioned using 7.4.0 and 7.5.1, I suspect that they are running the official release and not a distro or flatpak release.

That aside, the only time I've been unable to change the font size in the calibre viewer was five books that used absolute values for the font size. Two of them specified the font size in pixels, one in pica, one in mm and the last in inches.

Cleaning up the CSS to remove all absolute measurements allowed me to change the font sizes, margins, line heights and pretty much every thing else.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-09-2024 at 07:27 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:41 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Both work fine for me in Linux X11.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 12:22 PM   #10
NorbertJh

Hi Kovid!

I'm using X11 myself and the "offical' version from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

May I ask which desktop you use? And which Qt version?
From the look of /opt/calibre/lib it is a Qt6. I have 6.6.1-3 installed.

Regards
Norbert
Old 02-10-2024, 06:56 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The official calibre builds use their own Qt, system Qt is irrelevant. I use i3 as my window manager, but that should not matter given you say clicking on the font controls doesnt work either.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote