Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Rule of Thumb, US Copyright

What is the general guideline for a book entering the PD in the US? I would like to test my hand at a making some epubs based on older books that I cannot locate on Gütenberg Project, but do not wish to make then public if it is unlawful to do so.
IN particular, I am looking at The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason. My copy says it was first published in 1926.

Thank you in advance.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
[I]The Richest Man in Babylon[I] is already available in ePub format here on MR.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62820

BN Publishing produced the Kindle version so I am guessing they would know if the book entered public domain. I think the problem is if the copyright has been renewed which would extend it to 95 years according to Cornell University.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Copyright in the US till 2027, unless the copyright term is extended again before that. That's assuming the copyright was rewnwed.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
[I]The Richest Man in Babylon[I] is already available in ePub format here on MR.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62820

BN Publishing produced the Kindle version so I am guessing they would know if the book entered public domain. I think the problem is if the copyright has been renewed which would extend it to 95 years according to Cornell University.
I didn't even look. Shame on me.
I am curious as to why it's allowed to continue in places here, if it is not in the PD. I'm not telling the copyright police, though.
Ah well, I found Acres of Diamonds on Gütenberg, and that spells "Safe" to me. (Bad spelling is one of my excuses for not doing original stories, it sounds so much better than, "I'm too lazy.")
Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
I am curious as to why it's allowed to continue in places here, if it is not in the PD.
The governing law for Mobile Read is of country where server is located. Which happens to be Canada. The Canadian copyright law places in public domain works 50 years after author's death. So, it is in public domain, you just happened to hail from the country where copyright laws are different.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
The rule of thumb for US copyrights is that if it was originally published before 1923, it's in the public domain, if it was published before 1964 and not copyright was not renewed 28 years after the original copyright, it's in the public domain. Anything published prior to 1978 that's in copyright currently has a 95 year copyright term, (so The Richest Man in Babylon should become public domain on 1 January 2022, not 2027 as Iphinome listed), and anything published after 1977 has a copyright term of life+70.

Here are URLs for searching US Copyright/Copyright renewal:
Copyright renewal search at Stanford
Library of Congress Copyright search
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What is the general guideline for a book entering the PD in the US? I would like to test my hand at a making some epubs based on older books that I cannot locate on Gütenberg Project, but do not wish to make then public if it is unlawful to do so.
IN particular, I am looking at The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason. My copy says it was first published in 1926.

Thank you in advance.
This book is not in the public domain in the USA, although it is in Canada.

Be careful with this particular book, though. There is a revised edition of it which has been very widely pirated. This revised edition is NOT in the public domain anywhere, and the US copyright holder is extremely active in tracking down and taking legal action against those who post it illegally. You might be better off starting with something a little less "litigation prone", because of this, especially given the fact that, although the book you have is in the public domain in many countries, you'd technically be breaking copyright law in redistributing it, since it's not in the public domain in the US.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-21-2010 at 03:08 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It looks like it was renewed in 1954 and again in 1983 so it will be the full 95 years.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
It looks like it was renewed in 1954 and again in 1983 so it will be the full 95 years.
I'm sure it'll get extended again in 2018 then 2038 then 2058.....
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Copyright in the US till 2027, unless the copyright term is extended again before that.
What do you mean "unless" it is extended again? I think it's pretty obvious that anything which isn't already in the PD will probably never be.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
I didn't even look. Shame on me.
I am curious as to why it's allowed to continue in places here, if it is not in the PD. I'm not telling the copyright police, though.
Ah well, I found Acres of Diamonds on Gütenberg, and that spells "Safe" to me. (Bad spelling is one of my excuses for not doing original stories, it sounds so much better than, "I'm too lazy.")
Here's the classic example. The Reminiscences Of A Stock Operator was published in March 1923. The author died in 1943. It is PD in Canada, and has been since 1994. It will go public domain in Britain in 2014. It is still under copyright in the US until 2018. Had it been published 4 months earlier it would have been in public domain in the US since 1979.

Every time the copyright is about to expire on the early Disney films, there is a deluge of copyright lobbying to extend copyright again, in the name of the artistic creator, who is already long dead....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
What do you mean "unless" it is extended again? I think it's pretty obvious that anything which isn't already in the PD will probably never be.
But still everyone will have it a mouse click away.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
US copyright law should start operating "normally" (ie the way it does in the rest of the world) from 2048 onwards, when "life + 70" copyrights start expiring for authors who died in 1977, the year in which the US adopted a conventional "life + 70" copyright term. Until 2048, it will probably continue to be the "odd man out" in copyright terms.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
US copyright law should start operating "normally" (ie the way it does in the rest of the world) from 2048 onwards, when "life + 70" copyrights start expiring for authors who died in 1977, the year in which the US adopted a conventional "life + 70" copyright term. Until 2048, it will probably continue to be the "odd man out" in copyright terms.
You honestly think they won't extend it again? "life + 70" is already ridiculous. Once you've set that precedent, why not "life + 90" or "life + 150".
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Poppa1956
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This book is not in the public domain in the USA, although it is in Canada.

Be careful with this particular book, though. There is a revised edition of it which has been very widely pirated. This revised edition is NOT in the public domain anywhere, and the US copyright holder is extremely active in tracking down and taking legal action against those who post it illegally. You might be better off starting with something a little less "litigation prone", because of this, especially given the fact that, although the book you have is in the public domain in many countries, you'd technically be breaking copyright law in redistributing it, since it's not in the public domain in the US.
Exactly my plan here. I don't have spare money for lawyers, especially for legal challenges that could be avoided by me paying attention. I also don't want to bring any trouble the MR, as I will mostly likely post my efforts here.