Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
tzinck
tzinck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader / Android / PC
Remove DRM from Kindle

It used to be so easy in Calibre, but now it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I want to remove DRM from my Kindle ebooks.

I just downloaded one book .AZW3 from Amazon to test. I also tried to rename the extention to just AZW.

I updated to newest Calibre and newest DeDrm.

Calibre imports book, but when I try to wiew or convert is comes with a message that it cannot be done because of DRM :-(

I also tried a tool called Epubor Ultimate - it said that it had removed DRM, but I still could not view in Calibre (Due to DRM)

Any ideas on how to do it now ???
tzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Get your money back for epubor and then we'll talk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
tzinck

Solution found. I managed to downgrade Kindle for PC to ver 1.17, and everything went smooth :-)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
tzinck

never bought Equbor - I expected it to be a free trial
Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
drake-r8
drake-r8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS T1 and Kobo wireless
You are right, tzinck - I had the same problem. I had 2 older kindle installers & I used one from 2015 - it worked great. I also noticed that it removed the book from its original folder & placed it with the rest of my kindle content. Thanks for the tip!
drake-r8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you ever pay anything for epubor, you may as well find a different forum. You need to go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and download the tools there and install the Calibre plugin. DO NOT USE EPUBOR EVER!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you ever pay anything for epubor, you may as well find a different forum. You need to go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and download the tools there and install the Calibre plugin. DO NOT USE EPUBOR EVER!
Why? I have no dog in this hunt, just curious.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My understanding is that Epubor (and any other paid program that removes DRM from books) is simply Apprentice Alf's tools repackaged so they can charge for it. It works no better than the original tools at Apprentice Alf's site.

There's absolutely no point in paying for something that's available for free.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Why? I have no dog in this hunt, just curious.
Basically, Epubor rips off the hard work of Apprentice Alf and others to charge people who don't know any better for what they could get for free. To rub salt into the wounds, they do not even give credit to the original authors -- ask jhowell about their announcement of being able to handle KFX and his look at their code where the readable strings showed they were using the code for his KFX Input plugin for calibre to do the work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Basically, Epubor rips off the hard work of Apprentice Alf and others to charge people who don't know any better for what they could get for free. To rub salt into the wounds, they do not even give credit to the original authors -- ask jhowell about their announcement of being able to handle KFX and his look at their code where the readable strings showed they were using the code for his KFX Input plugin for calibre to do the work.
Ah, the ever present scammer. I understand there are those who do the same thing in regard to links that lead to gutenberg or other such PD ebook sites as well. Caveat emptor as they say.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah, the ever present scammer. I understand there are those who do the same thing in regard to links that lead to gutenberg or other such PD ebook sites as well. Caveat emptor as they say.
Some of the sites that use Gutenberg as a source but do quite a bit of work cleaning up the ebooks, adding decent covers, etc. are, to me, are at least adding some value added. Then we have the scammers who strip Gutenberg's boilerplate, add nothing and think they should be paid for this.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:47 AM   #12
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Basically, Epubor rips off the hard work of Apprentice Alf and others...
How can you "rip off" a criminal?
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:19 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some of the sites that use Gutenberg as a source but do quite a bit of work cleaning up the ebooks, adding decent covers, etc. are, to me, are at least adding some value added. Then we have the scammers who strip Gutenberg's boilerplate, add nothing and think they should be paid for this.
I'm not saying that everyone is a scammer. MR itself has members who cleanup ebooks from Gutenberg, add on covers and fix the TOC's among other things. I just meant that there are some people who likely do as I have said. I can't recall if it was here or somewhere else I saw a post about it. As soon as something new is invented or devised someone somewhere will start thinking of ways to use it to scam others alas.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:24 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
How can you "rip off" a criminal?
His plug in was developed to help people who have purchased legit copies of ebooks. If I buy a book in epub and want to read it in kindle shouldn't it be my right to be able to convert it to the format of my choice? And what if I don't back up said book and the ebook seller goes out of business? There would go the book that I paid good money to buy. If I was to buy a copy of the latest Stephen King ebook, strip it of DRM and post it for others to download for free that would be criminal, but if I buy the book solely for my own use and create a backup offline then that shouldn't be illegal. It's when I upload it for others to access without them paying for it that I break the law.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Some of the sites that use Gutenberg as a source but do quite a bit of work cleaning up the ebooks, adding decent covers, etc. are, to me, are at least adding some value added.
And usually they charge a nominal fee for the book (or series of books) -- usually between $1 and $3. I think that's well worth the cost. And the honest ones leave in the Gutenberg notice.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, calibre, kindle, remove drm