Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #31
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel
1. Make the pen software compatible with other android apps that work with pens. Onyx doesn't need to invent everything - just work with a developer of one good note-taking app, and make it compatible, or even better make them all compatible. For example Xodo!!!! (or squid, lecturenotes, onenote, evernote...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
That does not need Onyx. All it needs is the interest of the said developer.
(Or any developer, if the note-taking app is open source.)
If we're talking about note taking apps, so we can scribble while we read, it would also require Onyx enabling split screen mode with third party apps.

I would love to use an Onyx Boox for maths
, having my textbook on the left side of the screen and my copybook on the right side of the screen, but as I've understood it the current Onyx notetaking app is locked so 1 textbook page only lets you have 1 page for notes.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #32
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
If we're talking about note taking apps, so we can scribble while we read, it would also require Onyx enabling split screen mode with third party apps.
If we get root on the Max 2, perhaps the following will make that possible:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...droid-t3121483
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #33
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
I wish it had a front light. Is it true that there is no way an eInk screen that large will ever be able to have a front light? If so, what is the largest size that can support a front light? I would really love to buy the Max 2. It has everything I've wanted in an eReader/note-taking device.

The software features I would like are:
1. Being able to display two pages of a book at once, and turn them at the same time.
2. Being able to take notes next to the book I'm reading, and have the option to save them with the book file as annotations, or in a separate note or notebook. (So if I'm working on something and referencing or getting inspiration form different books, my notes can be independent of the books.)

Also, I've been wondering if you can scribble notes in ePubs? Or just PDFs?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #34
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

I have an accessory wish for Onyx, and that's to make a maths compass for their devices. It can be very simple. Just like this, but where the needle would go they would have a soft end.

We could attach the Onyx Stylus where the pencil would go.

There are millions of pupils and students who'd like to get all the advantages of paper while having everything stored digitally. I think if Onyx would marked it right, they be the strongest brand in this niche.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It is so much easier to do this in software. A circle is an easy object to create mathematically. A drawing app can do all of the typical drafting aids and a specific drafting app would be even better.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #36
pdfreaderguy
pdfreaderguy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldOntoMyPencil View Post
[LIST][*] Different stroke colors (maybe a selection of grey values).

Please give me a pen marker and a partial opacity marker. One to write as a then, and one to immediately click over to to act as a highlighter. Highlighter must be free hand like a real highlighter
pdfreaderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #37
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is so much easier to do this in software. A circle is an easy object to create mathematically. A drawing app can do all of the typical drafting aids and a specific drafting app would be even better.

Dale
The point is to use the tablet as if it was paper. So, on exams you use the regular maths compass just like you did the stylus maths compass.

And it's not for just circles, but everything else in geometry.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #38
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
The point is to use the tablet as if it was paper. So, on exams you use the regular maths compass just like you did the stylus maths compass.

And it's not for just circles, but everything else in geometry.
For this, the screen being depressed compared to the boder would cause problems. It would make it much harder to use, say, a long ruler.

(I tried drawing a line with a ruler; with a metal ruler it didn't work, I suspect because the ruler contact with the screen interferes with the stylus. Then I used a wooden pencil as a ruler, and it worked - so this at least you can do. For a compass, I have no solutions)

What would really be my dream feature would be OCR software that translates my formulas into LaTeX. That would make the maths experience on the Max 2 sooooo much beter...
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #39
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
For this, the screen being depressed compared to the boder would cause problems. It would make it much harder to use, say, a long ruler.

(I tried drawing a line with a ruler; with a metal ruler it didn't work, I suspect because the ruler contact with the screen interferes with the stylus. Then I used a wooden pencil as a ruler, and it worked - so this at least you can do. For a compass, I have no solutions)

What would really be my dream feature would be OCR software that translates my formulas into LaTeX. That would make the maths experience on the Max 2 sooooo much beter...
Oh yeah. An OCR software that translates to LaTeX would be the best!

Eventually that will come, though most likely not done by Onyx. Thanks for the tip on the wooden pencil. I think such materials could be useful making a maths compass. Though there are problems to be solved, I think it's doable.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #40
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Oh yeah. An OCR software that translates to LaTeX would be the best!

Eventually that will come, though most likely not done by Onyx. Thanks for the tip on the wooden pencil. I think such materials could be useful making a maths compass. Though there are problems to be solved, I think it's doable.
As far as math compass is concerned just for circles, it would probably be better to use a plastic circle template. For measuring purposes I don't believe anything can be simulated without punching a hole in the screen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #41
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

On a related note, it's a bit on the slow side, but Geogebra seems to run ok.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:22 AM   #42
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
As far as math compass is concerned just for circles, it would probably be better to use a plastic circle template. For measuring purposes I don't believe anything can be simulated without punching a hole in the screen.
The soft end I mentioned in my original post is stable and would be the replacement for the needle end in a regular maths compass. It wouldn't damage the screen. But the problem is that it would activate the touch screen.

Cushioning the needle end with such a soft end on this compass, and just putting a stylus where the pencil goes could work.

Last edited by norweger; 03-27-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #43
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This would not work too well for geometry, as precise placement would be difficult. So you'd have a hard time drawing a circle whose center is precisely defined.

I have an app on my iPad that does Latex conversion of small handwritten formulas reasonably well (MyScript MathPad), so the functionalities exist somehow. It doesn't look like they have an android version, though.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #44
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
This would not work too well for geometry, as precise placement would be difficult. So you'd have a hard time drawing a circle whose center is precisely defined.

I have an app on my iPad that does Latex conversion of small handwritten formulas reasonably well (MyScript MathPad), so the functionalities exist somehow. It doesn't look like they have an android version, though.
Thanks for the app tip, Philippe. What do you think the issues would be for placement? I own a stylus with such a "soft end pad", and it's used for drawing.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #45
Philippe D.
Addict

I'd say it would be difficult to precisely place the soft end, say, at the crossing of two previous lines; this is often required for precise geometry. I haven't used a compass for real in years, but that was the main reason I'd want to use a sharp pointy end.