Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
heulwen.jones
heulwen.jones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Kindle for iOS (AZK format) - image sizing issues

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get image sizing working on Kindle for iOS?

Image sizing is working well for me on KF8 devices (eg. Kindle Fire) but Kindle for iOS (AZK) is completely ignoring my image sizing. Older Kindle devices are also ignoring image sizing but I can live with this.

I'm guessing that the issue might be because I am using percentages rather than pixels to size my images (in the CSS) and I think I may have read somewhere that only the KF8 format supports percentages?

For a whole lot of reasons I need to keep using percentages if I can, and also the idea of redoing 100 images from percentages to pixels hurts my head!

If this is indeed the reason why AZK is ignoring my image sizes does anyone know of a workaround I can use? Perhaps I can leave Kindle Fire as percentages and then in CSS have some sort of media query for iOS for each image that lists pixel sizes instead of percentages?? That would be a bit of work and not sure if even possible??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Heulwen
heulwen.jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Give the variation in the (pixel) dimensions of the various Kindles and Fire tablets, I stay away from absolute measures. Generally I just call for width="100%" which seems to work on everything except (as you mention) the very early Kindles including the DX.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
heulwen.jones
heulwen.jones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Thanks for your help. I'll workaround the issue by adjusting the size of the images that look too big so they can display correctly at width 100%
heulwen.jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by heulwen.jones View Post
Thanks for your help. I'll workaround the issue by adjusting the size of the images that look too big so they can display correctly at width 100%
If I may, I feel somewhat compelled to point out, as I frequently do (not to you, heulwen, that's not what I mean), that that coding won't necessarily solve your problem. Width=100% doesn't mean, 100% of the size of the image in the folder/zipped folder, etc.; it means, 100% of the width in percent of the containing block.

THAT means, if you have images that are, say, supposed to be seen at 500px in width, and you put that coding around it, and Paula Purchaser flips her Kindle HDX into landscape mode to read, your image is likely going to look like kaka. OR, if someone pops it up in single-column, full-width-of-the-screen Kindle for PC/Mac.

AND, for anyone that hasn't yet fallen asleep, it also means the same thing for the LOOK INSIDE THE BOOK.

SO, tread carefully before you invest dozens of wo/manhours in changing them all to 100%. We've been doing this a long time, and using 100%, while a nice fix if all your images happen to be high-rez high-def biggies, can really suck if you end up overdriving them. I wish that the Mobiverse would give us nice, tidy CSS3 options that worked ALL the time, but as you've seen--they don't.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azk, image, ios