Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
anyone in Canada able to copy/paste text in Kindle for Mac?

Hi all -

I'm struggling to get the text copy function working in Kindle for Mac. Long story, but it would be helpful for me to know if it's working for anyone in Canada - if you select some text, do you get the "copy" function in the third position in the pop-up menu, or do you only see "search"?

Thanks...
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Kristy had a mousy face, shoulder length dishwater blonde hair and was drug-skinny. She wore pink sweatpants, a gray tank top, and obviously no bra. A cigarette hung from her hips. Undeniably she had spent the night.

Book name here - (Kindle Locations 2710-2711). Authors name here....

That's what I just got by highlighting and clicking on the Copy Button inside the software (on the text screen –not at the top of the screen). I'm down here in Idaho. I'm curious to hear why it would be different in Canada?
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Seems that it's different outside of the U.S., I found this post on the Amazon forums from someone in Brazil who doesn't get the "copy" function, this is the answer he got from Kindle tech support:

"I see that the country of residence listed in Account is Brazil. I checked and see that this feature is currently only available to U.S. customers. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature so that we can make this option available in more location in future."

So I presume it also doesn't work in Canada, but I'd like to get a confirmation from someone, one way or the other.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'm in Canada on a Mac and I've never been able to copy text from Kindle for Mac. I've been using the reader in Calibre when I want to copy/paste any text.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
sumguy
Connoisseur

thanks Synamon, that's helpful...

I tried making a new account with the country set to US, but that didn't work either, and also downloading the software through a US web proxy with no luck. It's even that way with my own non-drm books, kind of annoying. I wonder how they determine it?

If only Sony had an iphone app, I'd ditch the Kindle...
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Of course, if you import your book into Calibre, you can open it with the integrated reader and copy text with no problem. Or use Mobipocket reader. This means getting to know Apprentice Alf.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
sumguy
Connoisseur

Unfortunately neither of those will let me sync the bookmarks and last-page-read, between my iPhone and my Mac, which is my reason for using Kindle. Otherwise, yes, Calibre, Sony Reader for Mac, and various other apps will let you copy text...