Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd call this low end at this point, not mid-range.
Indeed, this is on par with the Nook Color which was released 2.5 years ago.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes, please, I want a 300 ppi 7" tab for $99.
There's a rumour that the N7 replacement will have 1920x1080 resolution; at 7" that'd be 316pi, at 8" it would be 275dpi, both are very good numbers. The other matter is price, it could match the N7's price ($199), but I can't see it any lower.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There's a rumour that the N7 replacement will have 1920x1080 resolution; at 7" that'd be 316pi, at 8" it would be 275dpi, both are very good numbers. The other matter is price, it could match the N7's price ($199), but I can't see it any lower.
Oh good. Have to keep an eye on that. Might be a very economic alternative the the N10 - at a similar pixel density. And at $199 it would not be that unreasonable. Decisions decisions ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #34
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
It'll be good if the rumour turns to reality - (Sometime soon!).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #35
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It'll be good if the rumour turns to reality - (Sometime soon!).
Google IO, in May, is the most likely date.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #36
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Why bother? The current N7 has lots of pixels for anything I do. Is it really necessary to have so many pixels?

And as for Asus introducing a cheapie 7inch to undercut the N7 on price, I'm surprised Google is letting them. You would think they would have signed some kind of no-compete agreement before getting the contract to produce the N7??

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Why bother? The current N7 has lots of pixels for anything I do. Is it really necessary to have so many pixels?
It is for my eyes. And yes, I have played with a Nexus 7, but I quickly realized the pixel density was not enough for comfortable browsing much less reading. Otherwise, I really liked the device.

Tablets featuring 1024 x 600 resolution were completely unreadable for me. Yellow halos around text, no matter what brand and an instant headache even trying to read on such low resolution.

Problem solved with my Note that has 288dpi. Even the Note2, while readable, is noticeably less sharp.

I would love to see more options for high resolution tablets and would be happy to pay for same.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #38
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I would love to see more options for high resolution tablets and would be happy to pay for same.
You should be satisfied this year. MWC is around the corner, so we should get a taste pretty soon.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #39
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
I read magazines in PDF form on my Nook HD+. Most pages with normal size print are no problem, but some pages have really small text. Having so many pixels makes that text crystal clear, enough so that I don't have to zoom the page to read it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #40
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
You should be satisfied this year. MWC is around the corner, so we should get a taste pretty soon.
Yeah, I am content to wait and see what comes out. I think I'd like a Nexus 10, but I don't really *need* a tablet, so there's no rush to decide.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #41
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
My 78 year old father has a 10" Asus Transformer with ~150ppi. He picked up my Nexus 4 and shocked by how much better the screen looked to him, and how much easier it was to read.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Single core 1GHZ? Seriously??
Screen resolution is the same as Nook Tablet (and Color). OK, but nothing special.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Screen resolution is the same as Nook Tablet (and Color).
...and iPad mini
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #44
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...and iPad mini
Actually the nooks have lower resolution (less pixels on the short axis only) but higher density. But the nooks were introduced years ago, so they're excusable.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #45
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
But the nooks were introduced years ago, so they're excusable.
Yeah, that's kind of where I was going. In combination with the singel core 1GHz it feels like the specs from at least a year back and not something new.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote