Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #46
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't understand. How do they "scoop up positive reviews from other products" and put them on their own? Surely sellers don't have write access to reviews? The most they can do is hire people to open accounts and enter fake reviews.
I ran into this problem recently when I was trying to find a combination charger/earphone jack adapter for my iPhone 7.

There are a lot of these listed on Amazon--and a lot with really good reviews--but with one quick look at the reviews (and the pictures posted by reviewers) it's obvious that the reviews are for completely different products--

Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Spl...s%2C205&sr=8-7

The above link (at least at the time of my posting here) shows an adapter that has a four star rating on 657 reviews. The first review I see when I look at them starts off with "This is a great stroller. There wasn't much in the product details, but the general look appealed to me. I was buying it for a 4 foot tall 6 year old... "

Also note--that this is item is "fullfilled by Amazon"--again at least at the time of this posting.

Last edited by dordale; 09-08-2019 at 12:13 PM.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #47
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
So a no name company selling something that you can find from plenty of other companies is using a fraudulent method to boost their reviews meanwhile even glancing at the reviews shows its not for the product being sold.

Like okay sure they shouldn’t be able to do this. But at the same time if someone is shopping by star rating alone without bothering to look at any of the reviews well “caveat emptor”.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Interesting how the reviews don't get rejected by Amazon's review process. I wrote a review once because of shipping problems, and Amazon rejected the review saying the review wasn't about the product. Yet reviews of the wrong product are allowed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #49
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I think all of the reviews were written for the correct products, but the vendor is copying them from there and adding them to different products. That's the loophole that was originally mentioned. It's the vendor, not the reviewer, that is doing something dodgy.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #50
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I think all of the reviews were written for the correct products, but the vendor is copying them from there and adding them to different products. That's the loophole that was originally mentioned. It's the vendor, not the reviewer, that is doing something dodgy.
Exactly...I have no idea how the process works to become an Amazon seller, but it seems really odd to me that a seller has the ability to manipulate reviews like this.

And just wanted to add--that in addition to the reviews being for the totally wrong product(s) in the link I posted above, the "questions" and "answers" are also for other products.
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #51
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Yes, it is just middle-class eBay.
I wish there was a reliable way to filter searches to only ever show Fulfilled by Amazon items, the rest might as well not exist for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Exactly...I have no idea how the process works to become an Amazon seller, but it seems really odd to me that a seller has the ability to manipulate reviews like this.

And just wanted to add--that in addition to the reviews being for the totally wrong product(s) in the link I posted above, the "questions" and "answers" are also for other products.
Did you report it to Amazon?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #52
dordale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Did you report it to Amazon?

Shari
No...not yet. For some reason I didn't think of doing that...

I'll go do it now!
Old 09-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #53
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I typically don't "shop" at Amazon.com. I buy there. I tend to shop using "top rated <widget> 2019" or "Top 10 <widget> 2019"
That works, if and only if the products are used/tested by whoever created the article. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the reviews are paid for, with the product that paid the most, being given the top spot.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
That works, if and only if the products are used/tested by whoever created the article. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the reviews are paid for, with the product that paid the most, being given the top spot.
Well, it's not like I settle on one article and bet the farm on it. I DO know enough to look for actual reviews by actual people. And I use multiple consumer reviews to make my decisions.

Nobody's going to do my research for me, but I don't mind having to do the extra legwork involved ("legwork" in this case translates to lounging in a recliner poking at a tablet, btw). I'm never in an online-buying hurry to begin with. Growing up in the age of "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery" means that a week's worth of research and decision-making--plus 1-3 days for shipping after I finally pull the trigger--still feels like a modern miracle to me.

Just because they want us to be idiots doesn't mean we have to oblige them. It's not like the game's not pretty easily winnable with a modicum of thought/care.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-19-2019 at 04:24 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote