Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #61
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I can't listen to music while I'm reading. I like it quiet. I guess that's why I usually read at night when everyone is asleep.

But, more on topic, the clicking keys on the GL3 are loud enough to wake my wife, who is a light sleeper.
The spouse thing makes perfect sense. I'm the same way about music and reading.

Everyone's different. I once asked a qestion on a forum, "do you turn on your left turn signal while waiting for the green arrow or turn it on just before you turn?" because I find it odd to turn it on at the last moment. One person responded that they don't turn it on while waiting because the clicking noise bothers them. An unexpected reason.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Everyone's different. I once asked a qestion on a forum, "do you turn on your left turn signal while waiting for the green arrow or turn it on just before you turn?" because I find it odd to turn it on at the last moment. One person responded that they don't turn it on while waiting because the clicking noise bothers them. An unexpected reason.
One of my pet peeves is the %^&*#@ who stops at an intersection for a red light, gets the green light, moves forward into the intersection, stops and then puts on their turn signal -- as the driving manual says, "signal well in advance".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #63
sao
sao began at the beginning.

Device: none
Could someone kindly check to see if the new glowlight plus can play mp3? (possibly with a side-loaded app) Yes I am aware that there is limited storage.

Many thanks!
sao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #64
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of my pet peeves is the %^&*#@ who stops at an intersection for a red light, gets the green light, moves forward into the intersection, stops and then puts on their turn signal -- as the driving manual says, "signal well in advance".
Even turning on the left turn signal at the same time they take their foot off the brake seems "unhelpful" to me.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #65
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao View Post
Could someone kindly check to see if the new glowlight plus can play mp3? (possibly with a side-loaded app) Yes I am aware that there is limited storage.

Many thanks!
Don't get your hopes up; from the reviews I read the audio output is only for B&N podcasts.
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #66
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
More importantly, don't block the box.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #67
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Good news that they are now in stock again. I am ready to push the button to buy but still have one question....the buttons....are they quiet? I have the earlier 6 inch glowlight 3 and the buttons make an awful clicking sound so I do hope that the 7.8 version makes no sound. I hope someone can answer that...are they quiet?
They do make a sound but you can always swipe the screen to turn the page silently. That's what I do to avoid waking my husband.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #68
sao
sao began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Don't get your hopes up; from the reviews I read the audio output is only for B&N podcasts.

Thanks. The fact that the device can play podcasts mean that the hardware is there. It is totally possible that we cannot play an mp3 by simplying side-loading it on the device and click on it, because there is no app associated with this particular file type, whence my request to first side-load a media player AND possibly a file manager, and then click on the mp3 file (at which point the file manager will ask to associate the file with an app).

Again I am aware that there is limited on-board storage; nonetheless I'd be most appreciative if someone could kindly try this.

THANKS.
sao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #69
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
click or no click

I am just checking back in to say that I went to Barnes&Noble today. They have on display the Nook glowlight plus 7.8. Not to buy, just on display. I checked it out and the buttons make NO sound. Love them! I am looking forward to when they get them in and I will purchase one. Talked to person at the counter and he was very nice and helpful, which was very encouraging. I also loved the larger screen.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #70
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao View Post

Many thanks!
I randomly picked a free music player (Musicolet) and side-loaded the APK with adb. Also found a way to push an MP3 file over there.

After a reboot, the file played pretty well - I started the song before I had any headphones plugged in - it stuttered quite a bit for about two seconds after I plugged the headphones in, but once it got going it seemed to play fine. I couldn't figure out how to turn the volume down on the device so it sounded pretty crappy, but I'm sure you could tweak it good enough if you could figure out a player with software EQ and could find a way to turn down the volume...

I see no reason why an app that could play online files or stream wouldn't work OK with it. Probably not my music player of choice, but if you're looking for something that could play MP3 audiobooks it would probably be fine...

Should be OK with Bluetooth Audio out as well...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My Nook Glowlight Plus 2 arrived from the US today. I like it. It looks big and cumbersome, but actually is quite comfortable to hold and doesn't feel as heavy as it looks. The screen is nice, about the same quality as my Oasis. Bigger, of course.

I have to say that the Oasis is a lot faster, especially page-turns. But I'm not a fast reader and slower page-turns don't bother me much. Also I don't really like the inbuilt fonts, even Georgia at its thickest is too light. That's not a problem either, as I can embed my favorite fonts in the books before loading them on the Nook. I already tried with Katsunami's DejaVu Serif Eink and the result was very good. I've included the photo of the Nook and the Oasis side-by-side, using the same font.

All in all, I'm certainly going to use the Nook a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_004939.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	172433  
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
All in all, I'm certainly going to use the Nook a lot.
Glad you got it okay. I was wondering how reliable GoodEReader would be. Looks like they came through.

Nice picture. Great font! It's hard to believe an inch makes that much difference (just realized that might be the original Oasis).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Glad you got it okay. I was wondering how reliable GoodEReader would be. Looks like they came through.

Nice picture. Great font! It's hard to believe an inch makes that much difference (just realized that might be the original Oasis).
Yes, I have no complaints about the GoodEReader, at least not about their store.

It's the Oasis 2, with a 7'' screen. Looks really small, doesn't it?
Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, I have no complaints about the GoodEReader, at least not about their store.

It's the Oasis 2, with a 7'' screen. Looks really small, doesn't it?
Yes, it really does. And I'm happy that your new Nook arrived (relatively) quickly.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #75
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

About sideloading. As I wanted to embed a different font than the default ones and also inserted different font sizes in the css, to find the one that feels just right, I sideloaded about 30 books to the new Nook today, in batches, using Calibre. That involved several ejecting/connecting sessions, to test the fonts. No problems so far (true, I got a message "Your Nook has stopped" once, but it continued working after that and I didn't even have to restart). Hopefully my luck will hold (I plan to load several hundred books on the Nook eventually, but not all at once, of course).