Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Sigil 0.8.1 Released

Info and packages.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Thank you , perfect timing i've just spent the last 12 hours building qt5.3.2 on Mint 16 (32 bit)
I'll get the source for sigil and see if i've been successful. I had no idea building qt would take so long.

cheers
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackest View Post
Thank you , perfect timing i've just spent the last 12 hours building qt5.3.2 on Mint 16 (32 bit)
I'll get the source for sigil and see if i've been successful. I had no idea building qt would take so long.

cheers
You do know that you have no real reason to build Qt, right? It you're just doing it for the practice, I understand... but otherwise, just download/install the Linux 32-bit binary Qt 5.3.2 package and build Sigil against that.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
blackest
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You do know that you have no real reason to build Qt, right? It you're just doing it for the practice, I understand... but otherwise, just download/install the Linux 32-bit binary Qt 5.3.2 package and build Sigil against that.
not available and no cmake above 2.8 either looks like i need to upgrade my mint install.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
not available and no cmake above 2.8 either looks like i need to upgrade my mint install.
What's not available? I assure you that a 32-bit binary package of Qt 5.3.2 for Linux is available. I just used it to build Sigil on Linux Mint 15 the other day. And no need to update Mint, just build/install cmake 3 from source. It's fairly painless--especially if you already have an older version of cmake installed. If you got Qt to build, cmake should be a breeze.
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
not available...
DiapDealer is referring to Qt's generic installable Linux package. The one they provide.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
So XP is no longer supported?
Any reason why?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
So XP is no longer supported?
Any reason why?
Presumably the same reason that Calibre no longer supports XP: Qt5 doesn't work properly on XP.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why is QT5 so important?
Old 10-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It's only the cross-platform UI framework upon which Sigil is built.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

I know that.

The question was however what QT5 has to offer that the previous hasn't. I mean, as a developer, I would rather use a version that I know all its issues (and workarounds) instead of going with newer versions that solves some issues but add others (which are not even known, and take time to debug them).
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I know that.

The question was however what QT5 has to offer that the previous hasn't. I mean, as a developer, I would rather use a version that I know all its issues (and workarounds) instead of going with newer versions that solves some issues but add others (which are not even known, and take time to debug them).
There is no such version. Qt5 was rather new when Sigil chose to integrate it, but is now maturing quite nicely. It has its bugs, sure--just as its predecessor still continues to have unresolved bugs that plagued previous versions of Sigil. The reason to use Qt5 is because Qt4 will eventually fade away (and porting is no trivial process). There comes a "bite the bullet" moment in all development when you rely on frameworks that continue to evolve.

But bugs have nothing to do with why XP sometimes struggles with Qt5.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A lot of XP installs are on computers with processors that are not up to the task. The processors are too old. They need to at least support SSE2. So what would happen is people with too old hardware would install Sigil and have it fail and then want support for it when it's the computer that's the problem.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
QT5 has some new bugs, yes.
But it also fixed some other issues that was holding other things back.

M$ ending XP support just helped dropping 'maintain compatibility' self imposed restraint

Sigil7.x will not run on my old AMD Athelon (no SSE2), so now I just use it for archiving as it still connects to my network.

I consider myself lucky that I have not hit walls before this.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #15
blackest
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
DiapDealer is referring to Qt's generic installable Linux package. The one they provide.
That did the trick
my build of qt didn't have qtwebkit built for some reason
so the download was the better and faster option.
The preview window is working without any real problems now, although i can't seem to put the preview on a separate desktop to the main editor. However there is no segmentation fault crash when moving it around which did exist in 0.8.0

Anyway thats one successful build on mint16 32bit on a netbook
Closed Thread