Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
horizontally center table in mobi7?

I'm using the following css which works for epub but when I look at the dual mobi (converted with kindlegen) in the Mobipocket Reader the tables are at the left.

PHP Code:
table {

margin-leftauto;

margin-rightauto;

border-collapsecollapse;

margin-top1em;

I tried changing the html from just table to table align="center" but that didn't help and as I expected it then failed with epubcheck.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I'm using the following css which works for epub but when I look at the dual mobi (converted with kindlegen) in the Mobipocket Reader the tables are at the left.

PHP Code:
table {

margin-leftauto;

margin-rightauto;

border-collapsecollapse;

margin-top1em;

I tried changing the html from just table to table align="center" but that didn't help and as I expected it then failed with epubcheck.
You can't use "margin-left: auto" and "margin-right: auto". Instead, you must enclose the table between <blockquote> tags. For example:

Code:
table.YourTable {
     margin-top: 1em;
     border-collapse: collapse;
}

blockquote.MyTable {
     text-align: center;
}
and the .xhtml code would be something like:

Code:
<blockquote class="MyTable">
  <table class="YourTable" border="1">
    <thead>
      <tr>
        <th>First column</th>

<th>Second Column</th>
      </tr>
    </thead>

<tbody>
      <tr>
        <td>Some text here</td>

<td>And more text here too</td>
      </tr>

<tr>
        <td>This for ending</td>

<td>And this too</td>
      </tr>
    </tbody>
  </table>
</blockquote>
IIRC, that could work for mobi7. If that doesn't work, then your best bet is to use a (.gif) image instead of the table. The mobi7 format is very limited and there are not many things you can do with it and with tables, less yet.

EDIT: Also you could try to enclose the table inside a <div> block. For example:

Code:
<div class="MyTable>
    <table>
    </table>
</div>
with

Code:
div.MyTable {
   text-align: center;
}
but now I don't remember why it was preferable to use <blockquote> tags (all this, of course, is for mobi7; for .kf8 and .KFX things are tottally different).

Last edited by RbnJrg; 08-22-2019 at 08:55 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

PHP Code:
table {

margin-leftauto;

margin-rightauto;

border-collapsecollapse;

margin-top1em;

KF7 has no CSS whatsoever. You need to do whatever you want to do, in HTML only, inline.

If memory serves, using embedded blockquotes or even a single blockquote will indent it, but not center it. You can't put a table inside a paragraph, so...try centering a div and putting the table inside that. Yes, never mind, I see that Ruben already suggested that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, ok; thanks guys. I'll have to think about how ugly I want to make my html in order to make the mobi output nice.

Is there a way to have conditional html? For example, in my css I have the following; is there anything equivalent for html?

PHP Code:
@media amzn-mobi {

Old 08-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard

Unless kindlegen has something I guess there isn't any conditional HTML, although I did forget about the stuff that IE used.

PHP Code:
<!--[if IE6]>

Things here!
<![endif]--> 
Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Ah, ok; thanks guys. I'll have to think about how ugly I want to make my html in order to make the mobi output nice.

Is there a way to have conditional html? For example, in my css I have the following; is there anything equivalent for html?

PHP Code:
@media amzn-mobi {

NOT for HTML in KF7, because....no CSS. Righty?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:

PHP Code:
@media amzn-mobi {

No. But you can do a bit of cheat You can employ something like:

Code:
@media amzn-mobi {
   .kf7 {
        display: normal;
   }

.kf8 {
       display: none;
   }
}

@media not amzn-mobi {
   .kf7 {
        display: none;
   }

.kf8 {
       display: normal;
   }
}
And to employ html code like the following:

Code:
<div class="kf7">
  <blockquote class="MyTable">
    <table class="YourTable" border="1">
      <thead>
        <tr>
          <th>First column</th>

<th>Second Column</th>
        </tr>
      </thead>

<tbody>
        <tr>
          <td>Some text here</td>

</tr>

<tr>
          <td>This for ending</td>

<td>And this too</td>
        </tr>
      </tbody>
    </table>
  </blockquote>
</div>

<div class="kf8">
  <table>
    <thead>
      <tr>
        <th>First column</th>

<th>Second Column</th>
      </tr>
    </thead>

<tbody>
      <tr>
        <td>Some text here</td>

</tr>

<tr>
        <td>This for ending</td>

<td>And this too</td>
      </tr>
    </tbody>
  </table>
</div>
Of that way, you duplicate the html code but the kf8 class won't be displayed on mobi7 and the kf7 class won't be displayed on kf8/KFX.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
No. But you can do a bit of cheat You can employ something like:
Of that way, you duplicate the html code but the kf8 class won't be displayed on mobi7 and the kf7 class won't be displayed on kf8/KFX.
Yeah, that certainly would work, but I can't bring myself to have duplicated stuff in the file; it goes against the DRY principle (Don't Repeat Yourself).

Although I could use that to put a big warning at the top of each chapter saying something like "Upgrade your derned Kindle already!"