Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Glowlight 3, Can You Use Current Book as Screensaver Yet?

Finding it difficult to Google an answer to this so Ill just ask, can you use the cover of the current book you're reading as the screensaver on the Glowlight 3?
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Finding it difficult to Google an answer to this so Ill just ask, can you use the cover of the current book you're reading as the screensaver on the Glowlight 3?
Nope.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Maybe, because the device is easy to root -- I can conceive a java coding hack that might be able to do it but that is a new frontier no one has taken , yet.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
Maybe, because the device is easy to root -- I can conceive a java coding hack that might be able to do it but that is a new frontier no one has taken, yet.
I do wish that hackers were as interested in the Nook as the Kobo. I like the Nook, but would like to see some subtle tweaks. Ability to use the cover of your current book as the sleep screen and ability to show series in your library would be nice.

In general, the Kobo's out-of-the-box firmware is better than the Nook and the hacks you can make to it improve it even more so.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do wish that hackers were as interested in the Nook as the Kobo. I like the Nook, but would like to see some subtle tweaks. Ability to use the cover of your current book as the sleep screen and ability to show series in your library would be nice.

In general, the Kobo's out-of-the-box firmware is better than the Nook and the hacks you can make to it improve it even more so.
I would like to see the option to set full page refresh every page. I have it turned on on my Kindles, to keep the text as dark as possible. I miss it on the Nook.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The difference between a easily modified open system and a locked down system. And, no offence intended, but the two features you mention are part of the factory Kobo firmware as is the the ability to add a screensavers directory that will be used to supply random sleep/power off screen images for those who do not want a blank screen or the the book cover. No hacking needed.

And possibly the greatest (IMNSHO) feature of Kobo's firmware is the ability to trigger a factory reset for those times when an ereader has been turned into a paperweight which I managed a few times when having fun with firmware.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...no offence intended, but the two features you mention are part of the factory Kobo firmware...
Yes, I'm well aware*. I was talking about the Nook.

*Though I do believe the ability to show series info for sideloaded books on Kobo requires the Kobo extended driver, right?

Nook shows series info for books purchased from B&N, just not for sideloaded books.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
Maybe, because the device is easy to root -- I can conceive a java coding hack that might be able to do it but that is a new frontier no one has taken , yet.
Renate over on XDA has figured out some ways to change the screensaver.

Quote:
Oh! I figured something out. I looked through the code.
If you just want to have one screensaver of your own (which you could manually change).
All you have to do is change some undocumented settings.

File: /data/data/com.nook.partner/shared_prefs/screen_saver_preference.xml

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<map>
    <boolean name="pref_key_screen_saver_from_sdcard" value="true" />
    <string name="pref_key_screen_saver_from_path">/sdcard/sleep.png</string>
    <boolean name="pref_key_screen_saver_low_power" value="false" />
    <int name="key_screensaver_img_index" value="8" />
</map>
I've used this on my rooted GL3 to set my current book cover as the screensaver. I'll have to manually change it when I start a new book though.

Last edited by Ryzir; 08-13-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
*Though I do believe the ability to show series info for sideloaded books on Kobo requires the Kobo extended driver, right?
Almost, but not quite. Calibre does all the work but either of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended drivers (properly configured) will do the job.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Nook shows series info for books purchased from B&N, just not for sideloaded books.
You do need to insert the series data into the database for sideloaded books as only books synchronized from Kobo do this automatically -- there is no standardized metadata for series information though I have noted several ebooks that made use of calibre's method of adding series metadata.

calibre and either of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended drivers will handle this task (the actual code needed comes from the KoboTouch code base). Back before I sold out to the dark side and switched to using calibre, I inserted the series information using a batch file, a text file and an SQLite database manager. Ahh... the good old days. Not.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You do need to insert the series data into the database for sideloaded books as only books synchronized from Kobo do this automatically -- there is no standardized metadata for series information though I have noted several ebooks that made use of calibre's method of adding series metadata.

calibre and either of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended drivers will handle this task (the actual code needed comes from the KoboTouch code base). Back before I sold out to the dark side and switched to using calibre, I inserted the series information using a batch file, a text file and an SQLite database manager. Ahh... the good old days. Not.
So if there were interest, would it be possible to make some sort of Nook Extended driver that would update series info for sideloaded books?

In general, would Nook patches along the lines of the Kobo patches be possible? Or is the Nook OS too locked down to be easily hacked and changed?
Old 08-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
So if there were interest, would it be possible to make some sort of Nook Extended driver that would update series info for sideloaded books?

In general, would Nook patches along the lines of the Kobo patches be possible? Or is the Nook OS too locked down to be easily hacked and changed?
Hmmm... given that Nook uses Android and does not expose much of the internals, it would be much more difficult if not impossible and would likely involve having to root the device. A similar situation to where collections on a Kobo can use the database exposed in the USB accessible storage while a Kindle requires jailbreaking.