Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes Qt has some issues with true "full screen" on many platforms. Especially if you try to grow the original window after going full screen. Take it out of full screen, then hit the mode button to make everything show, the re-enable full screen. Did that help?
What do you mean by the "mode button"?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #17
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The search and replace little down pointer that expands to show options that you talked about.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #18
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm working on some books that were originally html pages and they use named entities, for example, —. When I use the F7 key it says no problems found, but when I click the Save button it says it's not well formed and asks if I want to clean it; I'm using epub3. I can find out what's wrong by using the EpubCheck plugin.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone using Mojave try Sigil-0.9.14 in DarkMode yet? I run macOS 10.13.6 but use the 10.14 SDK. Qt 5.12.3 that is used by Sigil-0.9.14 is supposed to have improved DarkMode support for Mac but I can not test it.

And feedback welcome.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #20
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
The search and replace little down pointer that expands to show options that you talked about.
Nope, still does it.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Named entities except for basic xml escapes such as lt, gt, etc, are illegal in epub3.

If you have Preserve entities set you should change from using named entities to numeric entities.

To find entities you can use regular expression search starting with & and ending with ;

Mend will find all entities and properly replace them with characters, with only the ones in Preserve Entities being preserved.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So you expanded the window to allow for the biggest size and when you go fullscreen, some of it immediately appears in a separate monitor? And this did not happen in Sigil-0.9.13 release?

Is your primary monitor and video driver properly reporting its exact size?
Is your dpi being correctly detected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Nope, still does it.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #23
lumpynose
Wizard

I'm still confused about ampersands. If I use & then when I save the file Sigil replaces it with & but what I'm confused about is when I run EpubCheck it doesn't complain about that named entity but it does for the named entities for em dash and others and so I change them to their numerics. Why is that? I thought all named entities were forbidden with epub 3.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
KevinH
Sigil Developer

As I explained, primary xml escape named entities are always allowed.

& -> & amp ;
< -> & lt ;
> -> & gt ;
etc.

These primary named entities are needed to escape those symbols in text so that they do not confuse the xml/html tag parser.

These primary escapes should never be added to any Sigil Preserve entities list as these should not be converted or changed in any way.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #25
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
So you expanded the window to allow for the biggest size and when you go fullscreen, some of it immediately appears in a separate monitor? And this did not happen in Sigil-0.9.13 release?
Only the little pull down menus at the bottom for Mode appear on the other monitor. And only when I click on their down arrow to change the search mode. The third one, Up Down, does it consistently, the two before it sometimes at first and then not again. With the Up Down pull down it does it regardless of whether the Sigil window is maximized (using the Windows maximize button) or not.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer

BTW, tried full screen mode on my Mac and tried with a second monitor both in mirror mode and in extension mode and I can not duplicate the issue you are seeing. My guess, something on your system is reporting its size or dpi slightly incorrectly to Qt.

Unless this is a Windows specific issue? If so perhaps some other Window user can recreate this.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #27
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
As I explained, primary xml escape named entities are always allowed.

& -> & amp ;
< -> & lt ;
> -> & gt ;
etc.

These primary named entities are needed to escape those symbols in text so that they do not confuse the xml/html tag parser.
Ok. But if Sigil didn't change amp from its numeric to named, would the numeric entity for amp cause problems? I.e., would it fail EpubCheck if amp was numeric?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #28
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
BTW, tried full screen mode on my Mac and tried with a second monitor both in mirror mode and in extension mode and I can not duplicate the issue you are seeing. My guess, something on your system is reporting its size or dpi slightly incorrectly to Qt.
Sorry, I forgot to say that I'm on Windows 10. Both of my monitors are using their default hardware resolution. I don't know if it would matter but the left one is rotated to portrait mode.

This didn't happen with the previous version of Sigil.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The amp entity should never be numeric. It is a specially reserved named entity that is basic to xml.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@lumpynose
As I remember, you posted to the other thread about excessive memory use and sluggishness with the previous release. Please let us know if you see any improvements with this release. It should be much improved except under exceptional circumstances.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-11-2019 at 05:46 PM.