Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Onyx Boox or Pocketbook 302?

I've just about decided to get one of these two. I'll tell you my criteria and see if anybody can chime in about which might suit me.
  • 6" - I don't want to be carrying around anything bigger. I might be persuaded to go to 7" but I don't think I'd go up to 9"
  • PDFs - I have a few technical PDFs (and others) which are hard to render.
  • Relative light weight - I'd like to get under 10 oz if I can.
  • Relative long battery life - Measured in days, not hours
  • Touch screen is nice but not necessary
  • Wifi is nice but not necessary
I bought a Sony PRS600 two weeks ago at Best Buy and really like it. But reading the PDFs can be a pain. It zooms well and reading landscape is acceptable. But the fact that is loses its zoom settings when you go to the next page is a real bummer. If it weren't for that the Sony would be a keeper. Even though it doesn't get close to 6000 page turns. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

I've watched as many videos as I can and read as much as I can. These two seem to be very similar and they both seem to be able to read PDFs very well (as well as any 6" device can). I'm leaning toward the PB302 because the touchscreen works without a stylus and it has page turn buttons on the side. The only downside is the glare on the screen. I've gotten used to the reflection on the 600 and don't even notice it most of the time. Is the reflection on the 302 any worse than on the 600?

I've looked at others, particularly the V3+ but that's still an unknown. Viewsonic's VEB625 looks interesting but that's even more of an unknown. I don't really want to wait 3 more months for a reader. I've been shopping since November and have almost pulled the trigger twice before.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
How do these compare to the Pocketbook 360?
I want one of these but think that Christmas time will see lower prices.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
There's a world of difference. The 360 is only 5" and very portable. The 302 is 6" and has a few more features, notably Wifi and Bluetooth. It's also a touch screen, the 360 is not. The controls are radically different between the two. Both will read a lot of different formats and can be heavily customized. It's a matter of what you need. Since I need to read PDFs I can't really use the 360.

I ended up getting a PB 302 on ebay last night. It should be here early next week.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
They say Pocketbook 302 glare is much worse than Sony's (and it's abysmally uglier, to say nothing of the case). I bet you'll leave it and get back to the PRS600 in a few days.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote