Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Keepsmiling
Keepsmiling began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2018
updating converted books in Calibre

I use Calibre to convert and manage my ebooks library then use Marvin on my iPad to read them. I generally acquire my books from Amazon or Apple. Being from the pre-ebook era I was a bit surprised when I found an "update" to one of my ibooks published not that long ago. Is it possible to get the updated version into Calibre? I tried to add it and get an error message that it can't add the book - "IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory:u'/.../539012493.epub". Can I take it that Calibre is not recognizing it as an ePub ebook? I did notice the name of the updated file is much shorter and less complicated than the original which includes alpha characters. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide more info.
Keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's not a epub file, it is a directory named whatever.epub

There are some scripts floating around the internet to convert ibooks directories into actual epub files. After you find and use the script you should be able to add the resulting epub file to calibre as normal.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Keepsmiling
Keepsmiling began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2018
first let me say I'm really impressed at how quick I received a response and even more that Kovid, thanks so much - I did find info that a suggestion to rename, rezip, rename - that worked to get Calibre to add the book and recognized what the was - but when I tried to read it or convert the file it didn't work because of DRM - but again I thank you for your reply - and your program
Keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote