Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like Back to School (based in or around a school). That's a perfect theme for September given that's when kids go back to school after summer break.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like Back to School (based in or around a school). That's a perfect theme for September given that's when kids go back to school after summer break.
September already has a school theme.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"Gobsmacked" - books with surprise endings, or resolutions you didn't see coming ...

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 06-24-2018 at 08:05 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Wait! I have a better idea!

I'm NOT Dead Yet! -- novels in which the protagonist(s) return -- literally or figuratively -- from the grave
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:08 AM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I liked Bookworm_Girl's suggestion of retellings in the other thread, so I will nominate "The Way I Heard It" for retellings, refreshes, reboots, and any other story/tale that needs a re-do. (Has anyone found a good TTM from Milday's POV yet? )

I like "Gobsmacked" though too.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #21
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Well, I think BG was going to come in with Retellings, so maybe you should change your nomination to Gobsmacked. I can see people will be trading nominations soon and doing deals behind closed doors!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
As a result of a private communication, I want to emphasize that no nomination is written in stone, far from it. People are welcome to take back their nominations, improve them, make suggestions regarding other nominations and so forth. This is an ongoing and collaborative effort and we've got plenty of time before the September 1 deadline.

ETA: As I update the list, I might add either a tag or a topic, but these are possibilities only. Anyone, and certainly the original suggester, should feel free to offer changes.

ETA2: I'm using the terminology that the typical theme is tag: topic. So that said, as I posted nominations and added a potential topic, I've opened up the theme a bit, in the interest of not being too restrictive. Again, these are suggestions only.

Last edited by issybird; 06-25-2018 at 07:50 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Out of this world!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
My suggestion is “Over the hills and far away”, which could cover books about travel, distant countries, or even nursery rhymes.
There seems to me to be something of an overlap between these two and I think some tweaking to get two distinct themes would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I saw a category listed in a Goodread's summer challenge that was "I feel a breeze" and was supposed to have nudists involved in some way.
Gone with the Wind, Mistral's Daughter, The Wind in the Willows, Naked Came the Stranger, Naked Lunch the Oz books for the cyclone and Dorothy Gale, Airs Above the Ground, The Tempest, pretty much anything by Heinlein....

Once you get started, it's hard to stop.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #24
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Okay, pull mine out and I shall think of something else.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have a problem with Gobsmacked because although I generally like surprise endings, and although I devour books that tend to have them, I don't want to know in advance that there's going to be a whopper of an ending--just that knowledge is in itself a spoiler. I'd be reluctant to even look at a list of nominations for a category like that.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #26
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Very gracious, Bookpossum.

issybird, if you wanted to add a ":topic" to Out of This World, I was thinking something like...

Out of This World!: Unusual settings

What I had in mind was something in which the peculiarities of the setting is important to the story.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #27
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I think BG was going to come in with Retellings, so maybe you should change your nomination to Gobsmacked. I can see people will be trading nominations soon and doing deals behind closed doors!
We'll talk if it comes to it.

And I hope most of the wheeling and dealing is in the open; that makes it more interesting.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #28
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Proposed themes:
  • Dazrin: The Way I Heard It: Do-Over
Can we change the tag to "retellings" or "re-makes" instead of "do-over"? Do-over has a time-travel connotation to it that I wasn't intending, especially since we've just had a time travel themed month.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have a problem with Gobsmacked because although I generally like surprise endings, and although I devour books that tend to have them, I don't want to know in advance that there's going to be a whopper of an ending--just that knowledge is in itself a spoiler. I'd be reluctant to even look at a list of nominations for a category like that.
You've persuaded me.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Yes, I was going to nominate this one if Dazrin wants to nominate something else.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote