Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
magicalfatcat
magicalfatcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7
First time reader looking for specific series. Please help!

Hello all! If someone can please help me with a specific type of series Im looking for, I would be so grateful!

I have never read a book for fun. Im 26 now and have always wanted to be able to say I like to read. I want to be able to, but Ive never found something that looks like it would resonated with me, and I know I need something that is easier to read. I bought GoT seroes after watching the show, but I couldn't get past the first chapter. I've thought about it though and what I think I would like, is something where I can easily relate to the character.

- Protagonist is male

- Protagonist is more on the shy/introverted side and is nice/has good intentions

- Something happens to protagonist that makes him want to make a positive change in himself and/or the world or some people

- Some romance

- Some suspense

- Setting is contemporary (or starts off contemporary, since I do like fantasy)

I know these might be somewhat vague bullet points, but if a book/series does come to someone's head when seeing these, I would be so so thankful. Thank you!
magicalfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Welcome!

Have you tried reading Harry Potter? They are aimed for a younger audience (although you would have been a prime target growing up) but hit many of your points and are very accessible. MANY people have found them to be the "gateway drug" to reading and are very good even if you have seen the movies first.

Brandon Sanderson's Reckoner's series may also fit fairly well, starting with Steelheart.

Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series maybe? I haven't read it all though.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files could be another good series for you, some here LOVE it (see that thread) but I haven't personally finished it all (sorry Alan!)

When I was first starting reading Fantasy was my go-to genre (still is a lot of the time) and I started with things like The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, Terry Brooks' Shannara series, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, lots of Forgotten Realms books (Drizzt mostly), etc. None of those are in a contemporary setting though (although I enjoyed the Magic Kingdom For Sale: Sold series by Terry Brooks which starts contemporary.)

Your list hits several typical YA (young adult) themes so you might try looking around for other YA books. Since they are intended for young adults they are generally more accessible than books like Game of Thrones for someone who hasn't grown up reading a lot.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I will second Dazrin's suggestions, and add:

Cinda Williams Chima's Heir Chronicles series,
Jon Skovron's Man Made Boy,
Hohn Hulme & Michael Wexler's The Seems series,
Diane Duane's Young Wizards series, (not really romantic though, but still excellent. Make sure to get the New Millennium Edition if you decide to read this!)

Game of Thrones that's like learning how to swim by getting thrown into the deep end. IF you survive the experience, you will graduate as a reader, but I wouldn't advise it...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Welcome magicalfatcat to Mobileread!

Except for the contemporary setting, you might like the fantasy series The Belgariad by David Eddings. The first book is Pawn Of Prophecy.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Except for the contemporary requirement, you could do worse than John Christopher's Tripod series. Very easy reading, good fast moving story.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-Collec...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
magicalfatcat
magicalfatcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7
Thank you guys so much Dazrin, eschwartz, cadele and darryl! Ive searched a bit on a few of them and they look promising! Im excited!
magicalfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Welcome to the wonderful world of reading.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Happy to help.

Remember to read the summaries/reviews of a book before you buy it, don't commit to buying a whole series before you read the first book, and take advantage of the beginning-of-the-book free sample offered by Amazon (and possibly other retailers) to try to see if you enjoy the writing!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
We're hoping to get you hooked of course. As far as addictions go reading is one of the best to succumb to. Whilst I understand the reason people don't read it saddens me because they miss out on so much. A good friend of mine will often rave over a movie to which my response is quite often "the book was better". Which is then followed by a discussion of some of the worthwhile aspects of the book which did not make the movie.

Please let us know how you go.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote