Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You can learn some more details by reading the scripts (*.sh and *.ffs).

If the *.dat files have the structure of the signed (*.stgz) files, KindleTool can deal with those.

Others mentioned in the listing are plain text files.

= = = =

Yes, Amazon knows there are non-Wifi devices (all gen 1 and gen 2 devices are non-Wifi - - I.E: K1, K2, DX(whatever variation) ).
Those have to be updated over 3G - its all they have.

Everything else is getting updated over Wifi (even those models with both Wifi and 3G).

How do I know?
I have at least one of everything (except the K1, PW2 and KV) registered with Amazon and am getting device model specific e-mails for each.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #32
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
I looked at the files and the primary reason seems to be just to update the CA Certificate called gutenberg. There is a message sent to a server to check if the new cert is working here:

Code:
"GET /gutenberg-status/status.txt?query=$UPDATE_STATUS HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: \r\n\r\n" | nc gutenbergupdate-monitor.kindle-batt.com 80 | grep SUCCESS
EDIT: Maybe this script just reports the installation status without checking the cert?
EDIT2: Removed code not used by my kindle to send a message over the internet.

Last edited by donB006; 02-29-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: trim extra code
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #33
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by donB006 View Post
EDIT: Maybe this script just reports the installation status without checking the cert?
Well, it connects on port 80, so just HTTP. The server supports HTTPS, port 443, but with misaligned CN in the cert.
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #34
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Interesting! Why haven't Amazon provide a download link for Update_1_4294967295.bin in their website?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:21 AM   #35
mrussell
mrussell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Just in case it helps anyone, I just got a kindle DX on 2.58 that would not connect.I tried doing a reset to factory settings and it still didnt work. On this page, Amazon has links to the kindle firmware update files.

I downloaded the Kindle Services update for my device (based on the first digits of the serial number) and uploaded it to the device over USB. I then initiated an update from the kindles menu. After the update it connected. It actually came up as the last owner and showed all of their content. (We had a good laugh at the contend on the device. Various items that were labled "M/M Gay Merman Erotica") I cleaned the kindle thoroughly with an alcohol swab, washed my hands real good, then unregistered the Kindle did another reset to factory settings ,and registered it to my account. Now it works perfectly.
mrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #36
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It's Mer-MAAAAN!!!!
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #37
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussell View Post
Just in case it helps anyone, I just got a kindle DX on 2.58 that would not connect.I tried doing a reset to factory settings and it still didnt work. On this page, Amazon has links to the kindle firmware update files.

I downloaded the Kindle Services update for my device (based on the first digits of the serial number) and uploaded it to the device over USB. I then initiated an update from the kindles menu. After the update it connected. It actually came up as the last owner and showed all of their content. (We had a good laugh at the contend on the device. Various items that were labled "M/M Gay Merman Erotica") I cleaned the kindle thoroughly with an alcohol swab, washed my hands real good, then unregistered the Kindle did another reset to factory settings ,and registered it to my account. Now it works perfectly.
Lucky you! I have done exactly the same, but it still won't connect to Amazon.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote