Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
phyllisj9
phyllisj9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks I do get confused since I'm always going back and forth between the two formats. I'll take a look at this documentation. But it seems to be working with the guide modifications I mentioned above. Thanks, Phyllis
phyllisj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I provided a working example in post #5 above. Did it not work for you?
It didn't work for me, Harry, and I'd love to know why. I've been able to sort out most of my formatting quirks with Sigil and Calibre, but I've never been able to get the starting position correct. If I use kindlegen (indirectly by dragging the epub onto a kindle-preview window), the start position is set correctly, but never when I use calibre. I'm using 8.13, and I'm sure it's user error There must be something I'm overlooking.

I reach a saturation level when I fight with things like this, but every so often I take up the fight.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
but never when I use calibre. I'm using 8.13, and I'm sure it's user error There must be something I'm overlooking.
With calibre, you need to make sure the "start" reference type is included in the guide section of the opf file in your epub before converting. That has only been implemented in calibre since 0.8.11, btw.

Code:
<reference type="start" title="Start here" href="../some/file/in/your/epub.html" />
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

So, after a couple of weeks (since 8.11) of beating my head agains the wall, your solution worked for me, DD, and I would swear that it's something I've tried before. I've now successfully added the correct "start" position to three books.

I swear I tried that before...

/muttering under breath.....

Thanks, DD, for this and for so much else
Old 08-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
So, after a couple of weeks (since 8.11) of beating my head agains the wall, your solution worked for me, DD, and I would swear that it's something I've tried before. I've now successfully added the correct "start" position to three books.
You might have tried it before, because I'll be honest... I'm not sure it actually works 100% of the time either. Maybe it's weird windows line termination (cr vs lf) or something, but sometimes, it seems to me that with some books, the start point just wants to fights me when converting with calibre.
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #21
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I figured it out - I got bitten by the original epub being created/saved when I did an epub->epub conversion - I didn't realize that it was going to become the source file for any epub conversions and I was editing the newer epub file. I didn't figure this out until I had deleted an entire section from the epub file, but when I did the epub->mobi conversion, the section reappeared
Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I didn't realize that it was going to become the source file for any epub conversions and I was editing the newer epub file. I didn't figure this out until I had deleted an entire section from the epub file, but when I did the epub->mobi conversion, the section reappeared
Yeah, that new feature (ORIGINAL_EPUB) has tripped a few people up. I think it's a good idea in the long run, though. I just get in the habit of deleting that ORIGINAL_* format from my library—immediately after I've verified that my conversion worked like I wanted it too.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #23
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
With calibre, you need to make sure the "start" reference type is included in the guide section of the opf file in your epub before converting. That has only been implemented in calibre since 0.8.11, btw.

Code:
<reference type="start" title="Start here" href="../some/file/in/your/epub.html" />
Thanks, DiapDealer

I've tried
<guide>
<reference type="other.start" title="Start here" href="Coverpage.html" />
</guide>

in the content.opf file of an ePub file that I'm working on now - the 'other.start' is because the Flightcrew ePubchecker said that 'start' is not an acceptable reference type in the OPF standards.

When I convert the book to mobi with the latest version of calibre it still doesn't open at the cover page.

What am I doing wrong?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, DiapDealer

I've tried
<guide>
<reference type="other.start" title="Start here" href="Coverpage.html" />
</guide>

in the content.opf file of an ePub file that I'm working on now - the 'other.start' is because the Flightcrew ePubchecker said that 'start' is not an acceptable reference type in the OPF standards.

When I convert the book to mobi with the latest version of calibre it still doesn't open at the cover page.

What am I doing wrong?
"other.start" won't work with calibre. It has to be type "start" for calibre to work it's magic. I just use the Tweak ePub feature of calibre to add the "start" reference to the OPF before I convert the epub to mobi, then I use it again after to remove the "start" reference if I need the epub to be fully compliant.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #25
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"other.start" won't work with calibre. It has to be type "start" for calibre to work it's magic. I just use the Tweak ePub feature of calibre to add the "start" reference to the OPF before I convert the epub to mobi, then I use it again after to remove the "start" reference if I need the epub to be fully compliant.
Thanks, DiapDealer.

I've just tested

<guide>
<reference type=".start" title="Start here" href="Coverpage.html" />
</guide>

on two ePub to mobi conversions, and both mobi versions open on the front page.

I guess only time will tell whether Amazon will object to having mobi versions which open on the cover page sold through them.

Last edited by AlexBell; 08-10-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Update
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mobipocket creator, open, toc