Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
silvercity
silvercity began at the beginning.

Device: none
New reader for mom

Hi all

I finally convinced my mom to get an ebook reader. I am looking for something really simple for her around 6-7 inches. It does not need to have wifi cause she does not have internet.

I will be loading the books for her so it should have an external SD reader and it should be able to read ePub, mobi and PDF. A backlight for night reading would be good too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
silvercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Nook has that nice warm orange glow for night. You may want to get her a 3G Kindle so she can buy books without home internet
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I’d suggest dropping the requirement for “ePub, Mobi and PDF”. PDF is hopeless on a small screen, and no device does both ePub and Mobi well. Stick to either ePub or Mobi. Similarly, very few devices have an SD card slot. They can all hold 1000+ books in internal storage so it’s really not necessary.

I’d suggest looking at Kindle and Kobo. Both excellent devices and both widely available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercity View Post
Hi all

I finally convinced my mom to get an ebook reader. I am looking for something really simple for her around 6-7 inches. It does not need to have wifi cause she does not have internet.

I will be loading the books for her so it should have an external SD reader and it should be able to read ePub, mobi and PDF. A backlight for night reading would be good too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I'd suggest checking out the Kindle Paperwhite, the Kobo Clara HD or for something a little bigger, the Kobo Aura H2O (useful if she's a bath reader) The Kobos both come with bigger internal storage than the Paperwhite (at time of writing), which may also be a factor to consider
Old 10-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Pocketbook ereaders handle all formats tolerably. For pdf, there is even pinch zoom (not smooth at all, but it's there) and extremely useful per-column view.

But if you live in US, Pocketbook is nearly unobtainable.

Onyx ereaders are Android, which makes them personalisable, but also convoluted for people who never want to install apps, check options and tweak settings.

On Kobo, I personally use alternate programs and I never go into the default environment (except to be reminded why I never go there), but at least Kobo opens most of the formats one might need, epub, mobi, pdf, and some images. And it's a simple interface.

Do you have your own e-library for mom to read or will you start buying books after acquiring the device? If the latter, I think a Kindle Paperwhite would be the most obvious option in US.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
silvercity
silvercity began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am in canada so the reader must be available here. I am ok with only having epub only since most of my library is in epub. She will not be doing any loading of books or installing anything. It will all come from me and my library.

So I guess what I really need is a 6-7 inch ebook reader with ePub and backlight. Do any of them come with SD storage? The reason is that if I want to load new books for her I can just take the card home and do this without taking away her reader. This way she won't be without her reader for a few days.

Edit: I've been doing some online reading and noticed that kobo supports epub and kindle does not. True?

I will not make many online purchases for her since I have an existing library that I downloaded myself from various sites. I just need to make sure that I can easily load these on whatever reader I buy (thinking kobo). Can this be done with calibre? I am noticing that none of their ebooks have SD cards.

Thx.

Last edited by silvercity; 10-15-2018 at 02:51 PM.
silvercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Edit: I've been doing some online reading and noticed that kobo supports epub and kindle does not. True?
True. Although, with Calibre, converting ePub to Amazon's .mobi (AZW3) is extremely simple.

Quote:
I will not make many online purchases for her since I have an existing library that I downloaded myself from various sites. I just need to make sure that I can easily load these on whatever reader I buy (thinking kobo). Can this be done with calibre? I am noticing that none of their ebooks have SD cards.
A modern reader with an SD card slot is not going to be readily available. You might want to look at a used Tolino Shine (original one). It still has an SD card slot, has a good, front-lit (212ppi) screen, works well with ePubs, and is made by Netronix (the same folks who make the Kobos). And they can be bought on eBay cheaply.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tolino-Shine...NPW2:rk:3:pf:0

I've got a Tolino Page (basically the same except with a lower resolution screen, no front-light and no SD Card slot) that I like a lot. Nice size and fairly light, about 180 grams.

(These also have Adobe ADE "built-in," so, if you're Mom ever does get WiFi or goes somewhere where there is WiFi, you can borrow books from the library directly from the device -- though using the built-in web browser for this is painfully slow.)

If nothing more, it would be a good "trial" eReader.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-15-2018 at 03:54 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I am in canada so the reader must be available here. I am ok with only having epub only since most of my library is in epub. She will not be doing any loading of books or installing anything. It will all come from me and my library.

So I guess what I really need is a 6-7 inch ebook reader with ePub and backlight. Do any of them come with SD storage? The reason is that if I want to load new books for her I can just take the card home and do this without taking away her reader. This way she won't be without her reader for a few days.

Thx.
Kobo supports epub (and their own slightly modified kepub variant). They also support pdf, mobi for old flavours of mobi and cbz/cbr (comics, manga). They also support RTF, HTML and txt along with several graphics formats. You might want to check the Clara HD (8 GB so about 6GB to load books onto) 6" 300PPI. Your local Chapters/Indigo/Coles/whatever other names they operate under should have one for you to handle.

If you are using calibre, you might want to look into setting up calibre server and exposing it to the internet (follow the security guide). Just connect to it and download the books over WiFi.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

If you are using calibre, you might want to look into setting up calibre server and exposing it to the internet (follow the security guide). Just connect to it and download the books over WiFi.
look back to #1
OPs issue is that it is going to somewhere with no internet- hence need for an SD card or an alternative workaround

some older used kobos - like the aura HD which we still have - have SD card slots
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
look back to #1
OPs issue is that it is going to somewhere with no internet- hence need for an SD card or an alternative workaround

some older used kobos - like the aura HD which we still have - have SD card slots
The original Tolino Vision (which, hardware-wise, is basically a Kobo Aura with a home button) also has a MicroSD slot. Since the OP doesn't need the built-in market feature, it would work fine also. They're a little more expensive than the Shines ...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tolino-Visio...V3cL:rk:2:pf:0
Old 10-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
More info please. Do you need the SD card reader because you are swapping books out? If so, you should know that most ereaders in the US no longer have SD cards. You can get past that by getting a Kindle e-reader that has 3G. Then you can send mobi files directly to her ereader and she can download using cell service (it's free). You can convert epub to mobi using Calibre. Forget the pdf. If you absolutely need pdf, then your best bet is to get her a Fire Tablet 10.1. However, she may find that too heavy to read - I know I do and I just read magazines on it. Many functions are so dependent on wifi access, I'm not sure how well it will work, but you CAN sideload using an SD card but you may need to add a reading app so it can find the additional library. I have 2 fires whose wifi has mostly failed, but they otherwise work and I just use them for sideloaded audiobooks, music and magazines now. Only a handful of the apps, like the kitchen timer, work well without wifi.

A new kindle with 3g may be out of your price range ($200), but they have a variety of used or refurbished at Amazon that would work. Just search Kindle 3G. I have both a Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch with 3G and they worked just fine getting downloads at my late brother's home (no wifi there either). I do the same for my sister on her 3g Touch (she only got wifi 6 weeks ago). She asks me what she wants and if I have it in epub, I convert to mobi and email it to her unit. She deletes them off as she finishes reading them. The current daily limit for downloading is 50 mg, but that's 8-12 books depending on how big they are, fewer if a lot of illustrations.

I should add that you need to look to a PAPERWHITE or refurbished VOYAGE with 3g if you want the backlighting. As far as I know, only the Kindle has a cell feature to enable you to download without wifi, but if I'm wrong, someone will post!

Finally, if your mom is in a cell service dead zone, going anyplace where cell phones work should work. The books just accumulate in the Kindle account until they are downloaded. Doing a refresh brings them down. If you have a LOT of pdfs, consider getting ABBYY Transformer as it does PDF conversions quite well (novels, not textbooks). It will convert to epub, you can do a spell check and then convert to mobi.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I realise this is an oldish post and I'm not sure what the OP decided.
Just a suggestion: use an ebook without an SD slot, when visiting your mother take your laptop with you and while there install some books onto her reader by using an usb slot and cable. This saves your mother from being without her reader and also saves the necessity of hunting for an old ereader with an SD slot.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I realise this is an oldish post and I'm not sure what the OP decided.
Just a suggestion: use an ebook without an SD slot, when visiting your mother take your laptop with you and while there install some books onto her reader by using an usb slot and cable. This saves your mother from being without her reader and also saves the necessity of hunting for an old ereader with an SD slot.
Would a USB OTG cable and smartphone work also, instead of taking a laptop?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I can't answer that, I still have a dumb phone.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Would a USB OTG cable and smartphone work also, instead of taking a laptop?
I don't know about the Android eReaders, but Kindles and Kobos definitely can't access SD cards via a USB OTG cable.