Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Well you're in good company to think so. Jeff Bezos just tweeted that it's his favourite novel.

I keep meaning to read but the movie was already very powerful. I'd need to be in a very happy place to cope with the emotional gut punch if the book's as good or better.
My oldest son, now 37, watched the movie with me when he was about 18. The ending devastated him.

Love Christopher Reeve in that movie. He was so pretty back before his horrible accident. So much talent.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would say that Never Let Me Go is not Nobel worthy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Stedman appears to have only written a single novel, in 2012 (which I must admit I hadn't heard of). The Nobel tends to be more of a recognition of lifetime achievement, rather than being awarded for a single work. One novel written within the last 5 years is insufficient to determine whether an author is going to make a lasting impression on the literary world, I would suggest.
How could you not have heard of The Light Between the Oceans? It was even made into a movie that was shown in the UK. The movie is pretty good, but the book is so good and emotional.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How could you not have heard of The Light Between the Oceans? It was even made into a movie that was shown in the UK. The movie is pretty good, but the book is so good and emotional.
I'm sure there are any number of excellent authors that I'm unaware of. My literary tastes are rather tightly focused.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #20
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I would say that Never Let Me Go is not Nobel worthy.
The Nobel Prize is not based on any one book. It's based on the author's body of work. So if "Never Let Me Go" was a bad book it wouldn't really matter.

However, I think "Never Let Me Go" was one of the most amazing stories I've ever read. It had great subtlety, wonderfully developed and varied characters and was so full of original, creative and imaginative ideas that I read much of it with my mouth open saying "Wow!!".

I put off reading it for a long time because i didn't think he could write something as beautiful as "The Remains of the Day", and while I think that was the better book "Never Let Me Go" was almost as good.

In 2005 Time named "Never Let Me Go" as one of the 100 best books written in the English language since Time (the magazine) began.

Ishiguro has won innumerable prizes.

You may prefer another author but I don't think you can fairly say that Ishiguro didn't deserve that prize if you've read his books. He's an amazingly good writer even if he isn't one of your favorites.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
In 2005 Time named "Never Let Me Go" as one of the 100 best books written in the English language since Time (the magazine) began.

Barry
Just goes to show that best of lists are not always all that good.

When I read Never Let Me Go, I was surprised that it actually got published. And the movie, what a stinker.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Just goes to show that best of lists are not always all that good.

When I read Never Let Me Go, I was surprised that it actually got published. And the movie, what a stinker.
Well that's really interesting! You thought it was a poor book that maybe shouldn't have been published and I thought it was a beautiful book. You thought the movie was a stinker and I thought it was very good. I wonder if taste could have any bearing on this?

Good book. Bad book. It's about taste. It's about opinion. No facts involved.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've not read or seen The Remains of the Day. I may do so someday.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Now re-reading 'The Unconsoled,' for the sheer pleasure of doing so.

If you like Kafka, you should LOVE 'The Unconsoled.'

Available as an ebook ONLY at fine bookstores.

Oh, before I forget, here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Unconsoled-Vi...onsoled+kindle
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #25
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Well that's really interesting! You thought it was a poor book that maybe shouldn't have been published and I thought it was a beautiful book. You thought the movie was a stinker and I thought it was very good. I wonder if taste could have any bearing on this?

Good book. Bad book. It's about taste. It's about opinion. No facts involved.

Barry
Yes. There wouldn't be any point to lists if they were all the same or only included books we already liked.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #26
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I think the movie of Never Let Me Go is better than most of you. The performances were amazing.

I kept thinking what an American version of this story would be like. Then I remembered I'd already seen it -- The Island. (ugh)
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote