Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not everyone needs a light.
Try reading in the dark.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newday07 View Post
what are the differences between europe paperwhite 7th and the japanise one?
I think they offer more storage in Japan - manga can take a lot of space.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try reading in the dark.
Dark time is for audiobooks, not ebooks; and it's also for dancing

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by newday07 View Post
what are the differences between europe paperwhite 7th and the japanise one?
28Gbytes of user storage.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #20
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think they offer more storage in Japan - manga can take a lot of space.
32GB instead of 4GB

I found these news:
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-out-this-fall

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...white-4-leaked

When do you think that a new PW will be realised?
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=tubemonkey;3592822]Dark time is for audiobooks, not ebooks; and it's also for dancing

Try selecting and starting your audiobook on an eInk Kindle with no light. You won't be able to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
- - - - -
This is how the tech world works: high-end features trickle down to lower-end versions, and then new premium features (color?) go to the upper end.
But we all know what happened to GM with their trickle down features.
People got tired of waiting five years for a "New on xxxx Cadillac" feature to reach their Chevy.
It was easier and faster to get the new feature by switching brands.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But we all know what happened to GM with their trickle down features.
People got tired of waiting five years for a "New on xxxx Cadillac" feature to reach their Chevy.
It was easier and faster to get the new feature by switching brands.
I've never purchased a new car before, but I'll trust your recollection and agree that if the trickle goes too slowly then customers are likely to run to something else. That's part of the game, for sure... keeping up with the competition.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think new Paperwhite will have 8GB storage, Bluetooth, the faster processor of Oasis 2, and maybe flush screen. No buttons or adaptive light, maybe same W & H dimensions as Voyage and Kindle (8th gen) and therefore a little lighter.

It would be interesting if Kindle (8th gen) got a refresh - still no front light but at least 8GB storage and maybe higher resolution screen. I think that for some reason they want to push this Audible feature, and while that is promised for Kindle (8th gen) it lacks storage to handle very much of that content. I find the text (in good lighting) more contrast-y than my Paperwhite 3 (no light guide and capacitative layer in the way) and it is a good value for the price (often as little as $50). Until Oasis 2 perhaps it was the thing to take to the beach and not worry about damaging it.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #25
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I find the text (in good lighting) more contrast-y than my Paperwhite 3 (no light guide and capacitative layer in the way) and it is a good value for the price (often as little as $50). Until Oasis 2 perhaps it was the thing to take to the beach and not worry about damaging it.
The base Kindle model does still have a touch layer on there, which does reduce clarity a bit. You have to go back to the Kindle Touch for a "bare" E-ink display, because that one used the IR touch. But I agree... if you get a good copy of that panel, it's very clear! Great device even today.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
The base Kindle model does still have a touch layer on there, which does reduce clarity a bit. You have to go back to the Kindle Touch for a "bare" E-ink display, because that one used the IR touch. But I agree... if you get a good copy of that panel, it's very clear! Great device even today.
Ah, not quite.
The "Kindle Basic" (both of them) uses the same IR touchscreen as the original "Kindle Touch".
All other touchscreen models use a capacitive ts.

I think you had in mind the light diffusion layer. That is missing on the original "Kindle Touch" and both models of the "Kindle Basic".

Note:
"both Kindle Basic" - - I mean both the 7th gen and the 8th gen, not the different case colors.

Last edited by knc1; 10-12-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #27
vrf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, not quite.
The "Kindle Basic" (both of them) uses the same IR touchscreen as the original "Kindle Touch".
All other touchscreen models use a capacitive ts.

I think you had in mind the light diffusion layer. That is missing on the original "Kindle Touch" and both models of the "Kindle Basic".

Note:
"both Kindle Basic" - - I mean both the 7th gen and the 8th gen, not the different case colors.
Uh oh... Where are the Kindle history experts? I always thought the Kindle Touch was the only Amazon reader to have used the infrared touch display. The E-ink panel sits recessed further from the bezels than the newer entry-level Kindles. I've never seen a Kindle model with that deeper inset that wasn't a Kindle Touch.

EDIT: Yep, you're right. Found a couple of references to it online. It seems the IR tech has been slimmed down since the Touch. Now that I know this, I kind of want one. I've always liked the Kindle Touch display because of its clarity.

Last edited by vrf; 10-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Try reading in the dark.
I can think of other things to do in the dark.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Try selecting and starting your audiobook on an eInk Kindle with no light. You won't be able to do it.
I don't listen to audiobooks on ereaders or tablets. I use smartphones or Sansa Clips.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-12-2017 at 09:18 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I fully expect that the Kindle Audible player will be VoiceView enabled. Amazon has been very good about including accessibility features since settling the lawsuits engendered when they backtracked with it after making Kindle Keyboard somewhat accessible and following that with several models that were not accessible.

There’s only one screen with at most a couple of dozen elements to voice-enable.

If this turns out to be the case, then you don’t need a light or sight to navigate, just turn on VoiceView (after learning how it works).

Last edited by tomsem; 10-12-2017 at 09:56 PM.