Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I said, she said, he asked?

So as I am sitting working on a dialog between a group of characters I am wondering... seems like the experts that I have read say for the most part stick with "siad, asked, etc" and avoid colorful alternatives like "he asked with baited breath" or "she siad in great anger."

Their argument is that if the reader can't tell by the dialog and context, you need to fixt that not add adjectives. It is not a "OMG NEVER EVER DO THAT" but a "try to avoid it, and use sparingly" type advice.

What do you all think?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think a simple uncomplicated style is best. If you use a lot of words in place of 'said' then you run the risk of distracting from the story itself which is the important thing. Use of the thesaurus should be limited for the same reason. Otherwise you're likely to end up with purple prose disease.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
When there's more than 2 people I usually have the one speaking do something just before they talk so that I can attach their name to it. xxx scratched his crotch before answering. xxx looked up sharply. xxx shook his head.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
I try to use an action tag rather than a dialogue tag wherever possible. I hate 'he said/she said' reminds me too much of Enid Blyton--perfect for very young children but not older readers.

Just my two cents' worth.

--JanG.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
To test how it sounds, have someone read the dialog aloud to you. It really illuminates the overuse of "he said/she said" in a story. I've found that out from listening to audiobooks; it becomes mind-numbing after a while. As a reader, I prefer action tags.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
To test how it sounds, have someone read the dialog aloud to you. It really illuminates the overuse of "he said/she said" in a story. I've found that out from listening to audiobooks; it becomes mind-numbing after a while. As a reader, I prefer action tags.
When you say "action tag", do you mean a description of what the characters are doing, rather than use of adverbs?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like to have someone else read my work out-loud, without any pre-reading. If it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't right. I prefer to indicate the speaker with some action "She smiled," over by name "She said," but seldom with both "She smiled and said." The one that really bugs me is when writers put the tag at the end, and it's either redundant or too late.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah... what do you mean by "action tag" ?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
So as I am sitting working on a dialog between a group of characters I am wondering... seems like the experts that I have read say for the most part stick with "siad, asked, etc" and avoid colorful alternatives like "he asked with baited breath" or "she siad in great anger."
I think it's a bit simplistic to assume that a single speech attribution style is going to apply across all genres. In most work written for adults, a simple 'said' or 'asked' is often sufficient, and anything more becomes distracting to the reader. I've heard YA authors say the opposite, however: that their editors asked them to add in adjectives like "furiously" or "anxiously" in order to appeal better to the target audience.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
An action tag shows who is speaking without actually saying 'Joe said' or 'Mary asked.' For instance: Joe slung his arm around his friend's shoulders. "Well, we could just ask her." Or: Mary put her glass down on the coffee table with a thud. "Perhaps I'm being dumb. Why should I leave?"

A simplistic answer, I know, but I think it shows what an 'action' tag is.

--Jan.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree with your other sources, use alternatives sparingly. Otherwise you're "telling not showing" too much. If a character says something angrily show us their anger instead.

I like the action tags mentioned. Depending on the lines, we can also follow ping-pong dialog without needing constant naming.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You also need to avoid the 'talking head' syndrome when possible too. Action tags which bring some visual content into the dialogue can help with that.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
An action tag shows who is speaking without actually saying 'Joe said' or 'Mary asked.' For instance: Joe slung his arm around his friend's shoulders. "Well, we could just ask her." Or: Mary put her glass down on the coffee table with a thud. "Perhaps I'm being dumb. Why should I leave?"

A simplistic answer, I know, but I think it shows what an 'action' tag is.

--Jan.
That's what I was trying to say, but I didn't know it had a name. It also helps to break up pages and pages of dialogue. If your mind wanders for a few seconds during those you get completely lost about who says what.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote