Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsp View Post
How to I get to see the Personal Documents on the KK?
Once you have 3.3 update, anything you send will show up as before when you connect over wifi and check for items, but it will 'remove' rather than 'delete'. If you 'remove', then you can find it in Archived Items.

Items that were converted from PDF, .doc, .txt etc. will have the file name as Title and your email address as Author. Things that weren't converted (mobi/azw etc) will show the Title/Author as in the original metadata.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@yifanlu: Same build as the OTA one we got a while ago, so, nope, no update to otaup since 3.2.1, everything's fine .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@yifanlu: Same build as the OTA one we got a while ago, so, nope, no update to otaup since 3.2.1, everything's fine .
That's what I thought, but there might have been a chance that they patched it in busybox (since it was just a linux glitch). However, I manually patched the busybox binary and compared it with 3.1 and the only change was the timestamp. I still want to see some real results, but I think we can use the 3.2.1 jailbreak on 3.3.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I just read the Amazon link on personal documents, and think I understood, but just to check:

Personal document = Book or any other document that I didn't buy from Amazon

Correct?

Since the only content I buy from Amazon consists of periodicals, this means that, for me, a book, such as one I download from Project Gutenberg, or this site, is merely one type of personal document. Correct?

Now this is alarming:

Quote:
You may not send or authorize the sending of documents from automated distribution services.
If they are serious, that means Kindle cannot hereafter accept scheduled feeds from Calibre, Instapaper, etc. I can't believe they would do this because it would make the Kindle worse, for people who read a lot of nonfiction articles, than competing WiFi enabled readers. Most tech reviewers are in the high-nonfiction-article consumption group, and so would pan their products (as would I). (Or am I wrong? Is there a Nook or Sony equivalent to free.kindle.com?)

I certainly am not going out my way to get this update, but I know they will push it down.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-14-2011 at 08:02 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Now this is alarming:

If they are serious, that means Kindle cannot hereafter accept scheduled feeds from Calibre, Instapaper, etc. I can't believe they would do this because it would make the Kindle worse, for people who read a lot of nonfiction articles, than competing WiFi enabled readers. Most tech reviewers are in the high-nonfiction-article consumption group, and so would pan their products (as would I). (Or am I wrong? Is there a Nook or Sony equivalent to free.kindle.com?)

I certainly am not going out my way to get this update, but I know they will push it down.
I'm fairly sure that wording has been there for a long time.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #21
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Well, I upgraded just a bit ago and just sent something from Instapaper to the Kindle (got there with no problem) so I suspect I'll awaken in the morning with the usual doc awaiting my morning reading.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
I'm a little bit confused:

Are you able to set things up so various news/internet feeds automatically send articles to your Kindle as personal documents?

If so, where can I learn more about how to do this?
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Once you have 3.3 update, anything you send will show up as before when you connect over wifi and check for items, but it will 'remove' rather than 'delete'. If you 'remove', then you can find it in Archived Items.

Items that were converted from PDF, .doc, .txt etc. will have the file name as Title and your email address as Author. Things that weren't converted (mobi/azw etc) will show the Title/Author as in the original metadata.
I believe (confirmed!) if you email a Mobi to the Kindle, it will convert it to AZW. If you move a Mobi to the Kindle via usb, of coarse it won't convert it.

The only (email'd) files it won't convert are AZW, AZW1, AZW2 and PDF......I believe.

I guess this is good because if they are not AZW, then the Kindle won't do any of the
whispersync stuff.

Last edited by markdek; 10-15-2011 at 06:23 AM.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #24
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMark View Post
I'm a little bit confused:

Are you able to set things up so various news/internet feeds automatically send articles to your Kindle as personal documents?

If so, where can I learn more about how to do this?
Calibre "News"..........and other sites/programs, as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #25
markdek
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm fairly sure that wording has been there for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I just read the Amazon link on personal documents, and think I understood, but just to check:

Personal document = Book or any other document that I didn't buy from Amazon

Correct?

Since the only content I buy from Amazon consists of periodicals, this means that, for me, a book, such as one I download from Project Gutenberg, or this site, is merely one type of personal document. Correct?

Now this is alarming:

Shssssssssssssssssssssssssh.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMark View Post
Well, until today, I always thought I was sending it just like it the article was a short book. A book and a personal document were one and the same to me. But the answer to your question is: Yes.

There are a lot of options, and a learning curve, to getting the most out of the Kindle, just like any other computer. Or, if you want, you can, without shame, use the Kindle for the one purpose of reading books.

The Schedule for Download option in the Fetch News feature of the free Calibre software (http://calibre-ebook.com/) is popular here. I use it. If you used to be a PDA person, this Calibre feature resembles the service of the late great AvantGo.com, and is maybe better. This board has an active Calibre forum.

Instapaper and klip.me are also worth looking at. But, at least how I use them, they are for scouting out high text content web pages for later reading. With these tools, you do your web browsing where it is best done -- on a PC or Mac -- and then do your reading where it is best done, on the Kindle.

Do not miss the "Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have" sticky thread in this forum.

There are a lot more discoveries about how to use the Kindle that remain to be made.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #27
markdek
Addict

SteveEisenberg, I use these just as you do; really love Klip.Me.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #28
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
Thank you!

The first place I went when I saw somebody post the name "InstaPaper" was the Links Evey Kindle Owner Should Have" thread. I didn't spend a lot of time looking there, but i didn't see InstaPaper listed. I found it with Google, and just download/sent(?) my first test document using InstaPaper! It worked!

I'll have to start checking out the Calibre Forum. I've had Calibre loaded on my computer for some time, but have never really used it too much, other than to manage a couple books and maybe do some minor format converting of books.

I'm starting to realize that my Kindle can do a LOT more than I ever thought it could! I bought it to read books, all this other stuff that it can do is turning out to be a huge added bonus!
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #29
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfly View Post
I tried to update my kindle from OS 3.1 by USB copying .bin into root folder, I carefully checked the serial number "008" and tthere should no way to mistaken the bin file.
Bug I met an error in 2nd rebooting process (there was "step1 of 2") on right bottom. "Your update is not successful, kindle will be restarted", any comments on that?
Exact same thing. I have a Wifi Kindle 3 on firmware 3.1. I installed Yifanlu's jailbreak and the screensaver hack months ago, don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'm going to try to format my Kindle and remove all ebooks and try again.

Last edited by metoo999; 10-15-2011 at 01:08 AM.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #30
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I got an email from Kindle customer support outlining the update features. I don't recall getting an email about any previous updates:

Dear Kindle Customer,

As a past user of the Kindle Personal Documents Service, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements:
• Your documents are now automatically archived in your Kindle library (you can control this from the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).
• Archived documents can be re-downloaded from your archive to the all-new Kindle and Kindle Touch devices, as well as Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation--requires the latest software update v3.3 from www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) – you will be able to find and download your documents from any of these devices that are registered to your account.
• Now (just as with Kindle books) Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for your documents (with the exception of PDFs) across devices.

We expect to extend these features to Kindle Fire and Kindle apps (such as Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for Mac) in the coming months.

You can control these new features from the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle where you can see a list of your archived documents, re-deliver documents to your Kindle, delete any document from archive, or even turn off archiving for your account.

Learn more about the Kindle Personal Documents Service from our help pages at www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments.

Thank you for choosing Kindle,

Amazon.com Kindle Support
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote