Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Anyone else see this message on B&N?

I checked my nook order, and I saw the following message:

"One or more items in your order are currently unavailable. We hope to fulfill your order soon. Please select the "I Still Want This" link next to the unavailable item to keep this part of your order open for the next 30 days. If you do not approve an extension, this part of your order will be canceled in 24 hours. Changes to your order may take up to 60 minutes to appear on this page"

Aww, come on! I ordered it way back in the middle of November. If I no longer wanted it, I would have canceled it long ago and ordered a Kindle instead. But I wanted something that would read my secure eReader titles.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Ouch!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
cancel it?

There are other devices that are now offering the ability to read secure eReader (PDB). Fictionwise and ereader.com are both selling 2 devices. The Foxit eSlick and the Jetbook Lite.

They both ship immediately. I will be getting the eSlick for Christmas and am very happy about that. It has already arrived at the house (although I don't get to use it yet).

I have not tried the eSlick, but it is the same machine as the Pocketbook 301 and the Cybook Gen 3 but with different firmware. The Pocketbook 301 is very fast!

Granted, it does not have the cute little covers in color, but you will only see the covers for books purchased from B&N, not your previously purchased eReader books.

Plus, while the eSlick is the same price, it has a 40% micropay rebate for ereader.com and fictionwise.com, so you can buy more books for free!

Can't wait until Christmas!
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mine ordered on 9 Nov and also saw this message last week. Once I click "I still want this", the estimated shipping date has been changed from 21 Dec to 21 Jan 2010!.

Early this week, I got an email from BN saying that my Nook is packed and ready for shipping. Yesterday I received another email saying that my Nook has been shipped with a link to track UPS shipment.

Today I went UPS website to check and found that my Nook has been delivered to my US address (I live in Bangkok, Thailand).

So if you want it, just confirm and you may get your Nook quicker than the new estimated shipment date.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
espo56
espo56
espo56 began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook
I got the same message when I logged on to my account. I said I still wanted both orders. There was no change on the nook item, but the Tupper Quote cover was changed to a delivery date of January 22, which doesn't matter to me because I bought the same cover last week at my local B&N store because I had a feeling this would happen. I just received an email stating that my nook had shipped and would be here tomorrow 12/23. No $100 for me but that's ok.
espo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
There are other devices that are now offering the ability to read secure eReader (PDB). Fictionwise and ereader.com are both selling 2 devices. The Foxit eSlick and the Jetbook Lite.
An author posting on the Fictionwise YahooGroup as tried the eSlick, and he reports it doesn't support things like highlighting, annotations, dictionary lookup, and, uhm, adding your own bookmarks.

There are also bad formatting issues, such as "atrocious" text wrapping. (For example, breaking the line on an apostrophe!) He's hoping they get a firmware update, too.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Martlet
Martlet began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I received my Nook Monday. It was well worth the wait.
Martlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Critteranne
Guru

It has shipped!

The B&N site now says they have shipped my nook!

UPS Next Day Air Saver by the way.

Maybe the out of stock message was probably something required for preorders that take longer than a month. Otherwise, if the buyer doesn't click something to confirm that they still want the item, the credit card companies would have issues with the charges.

Oh, well, a $100 gift card would have been so nice.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
My nook is expected to ship on 4 Jan. My fear is that these delays will slip shipments and ultimately affect my expected ship date. What scares the heck out of me is the fact I'll be out of town, with no access to the internet from 26 Dec till 2 Jan. With the rumors of this warning showing up on the Order Tracking page with now accompanying e-mail notification, I fear my order will be one of those that get the dreaded Click here if you still want it, if not it will be cancelled in 24 hours! What if I can't get access to the internet to click the I still want it link? I think it should say if you want it, do nothing, if you don't want to wait, click cancel! This is the holidays, and people travel! I guess I'm just praying the shipping delays all get resolved in the next week or so, and everything from then on goes as projected!
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
JJoyce
JJoyce began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
The B&N site now says they have shipped my nook!

UPS Next Day Air Saver by the way.

Maybe the out of stock message was probably something required for preorders that take longer than a month. Otherwise, if the buyer doesn't click something to confirm that they still want the item, the credit card companies would have issues with the charges.

Oh, well, a $100 gift card would have been so nice.

You're very close.

That "click yes if you still want it" notice is required by Federal Trade Commission rules intended to protect consumers in instances where the availability date of a pre-ordered product is changed.

It's intended to protect consumers by ensuring the product is still desired and to give consumers an "out" in the event that they are no longer interested in waiting and as such requires a positive action (opt-in) by the consumer as the rule requires retailers to assume that no response to the notification is, by default, indicative of a consumer's desire not to proceed with the purchase.

Incidentally...

The 30-days-from-now date that appear after clicking "I still want this" isn't showing your order has been delayed to that date, but rather that B&N has permission to conclude the sale up tol that date before they would have to request permission again.
JJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Granted, it does not have the cute little covers in color, but you will only see the covers for books purchased from B&N, not your previously purchased eReader books.
Covers are just a jpg file with the same base name as the book it represents. I've already added support for calibre to include covers when you send books to the Nook.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Covers are just a jpg file with the same base name as the book it represents. I've already added support for calibre to include covers when you send books to the Nook.
But you do not get the coverflow feature with side loaded content. No big deal in my opinion, more of a gimmick. Though the covers do show up if you click the home screen while reading the book.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote