Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Question book available for Kindle but not mobipocket??

I'm looking for
The Illuminator by Brenda Van Trease

I see it on amazon.com as available for Kindle, but I can't find it anywhere for mobipocket reader.

1) Does this indeed happen? Are there books available for Kindle but not other mobipocket readers?
2) If it doesn't happen: any suggestions where to look? I've tried booksonboard, fictionwise and mobipocket.

Thanks for any help!
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The appears to be a TOPAZ ebook. TOPAZ is an Amazon-only format, and the conversion from the paper book is done by Amazon. Sometimes TOPAZ ebooks appear later in another format, but for now all you can do is use Kindle 4 PC (if you are in the US).

There are also MOBI (AZW) ebooks that are not available from the MobiPocket store. These include Amazon DTP titles and those from indie sites such as smashwords. These have some chance of being available at other sites.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
TOPAZ books are sometimes of low quality: bad formatting, barely readable paragraphs, missing letters etc.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are also MOBI (AZW) ebooks that are not available from the MobiPocket store. These include Amazon DTP titles and those from indie sites such as smashwords. These have some chance of being available at other sites.
Some azw files from Amazon are sold without DRM (my titles). After you purchase it, you can rename the file to something.prc or something.mobi and open it with Mobipocket Reader.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
TOPAZ books are sometimes of low quality: bad formatting, barely readable paragraphs, missing letters etc.
According to my observations, the TOPAZ format itself allows for embedded fonts, much better images, more formatting options, etc. So, the best TOPAZ books are better then the best mobi books.
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
owl123
Addict

According to mine that's not the case ;-) At least John Maddox Roberts' SPQR Kindle-books are poorly scanned and formatted.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
According to mine that's not the case ;-) At least John Maddox Roberts' SPQR Kindle-books are poorly scanned and formatted.
It seems both of us can be right:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40945

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48211
Old 12-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Some azw files from Amazon are sold without DRM (my titles). After you purchase it, you can rename the file to something.prc or something.mobi and open it with Mobipocket Reader.
Thanks...but I have my desktop plus a Cybook Gen 3 (plus a Blackberry). So...I can't buy this book without a Kindle or at least a Kiindle PID, right? Unless this has no DRM. I don't know how to know in advance if it has DRM or not...

I appreciate your help. This format thing gets more complicated every time I turn around.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
owl123
Addict

To check if a book is TOPAZ or AZW (mobi/prc), download book's sample and open it with Notepad. If first 3 letters are "TPZ" then it's TOPAZ and you can't remove the DRM protection.

If it's AZW there are tools to remove the DRM (which might legal or illegal depedning on where you live.)

If the book is in TOPAZ format then you might try making screenshots out of it. You can automate it with http://www.autohotkey.com/ macro player and a screencapture program like SnagIt.