Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #16
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Update.........

Upgraded my BIOS and now Virtual PC in XP mode works. WinSCP and RNDIS drivers installed in the XP mode and working great.

No luck on getting it all to work under Windows 7 natively though.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Congratulations!

Do the instructions in the OI WIKI for WinXP work for Win7 Virtual PC in XP mode or have you found anything different for that mode?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:21 AM   #17
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Congratulations!

Do the instructions in the OI WIKI for WinXP work for Win7 Virtual PC in XP mode or have you found anything different for that mode?
Two minor things that should be pretty easy to figure out but here's a general run down.

1: Up the top of the XP mode window are some drop down boxes. One of them is "USB". You must click this drop down box and attach the USB device(the ereader in this case) each time you plug it in before XP mode will recognise that it is there.
2: Right clicking on the linux.inf file and choosing install doesn't seem to work. Instead, after "attaching" the ereader(by the drop down box at the top of the window) for the first time, the windows pop up asking for the drivers will appear and you go through the usual process of telling it where the file is and installing it.

Other than that it is all the same. Of course you need the hardware and a version of Windows 7 that both support virtualistaion.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 AM   #18
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Two minor things that should be pretty easy to figure out but here's a general run down.

1: Up the top of the XP mode window are some drop down boxes. One of them is "USB". You must click this drop down box and attach the USB device(the ereader in this case) each time you plug it in before XP mode will recognise that it is there.
2: Right clicking on the linux.inf file and choosing install doesn't seem to work. Instead, after "attaching" the ereader(by the drop down box at the top of the window) for the first time, the windows pop up asking for the drivers will appear and you go through the usual process of telling it where the file is and installing it.

Other than that it is all the same. Of course you need the hardware and a version of Windows 7 that both support virtualistaion.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Thanks PKFFW!!!!

I expanded the WinXP instructions in the WIKI hoping to make it more clear what WinXP users needed to do to get SSH and WinSCP to work for transferring books to OI. Maybe you could add a little Win7 addendum to that explanation, or make your own separate Win7 entry? I am guessing that there will be more and more people needing help like that now that Win7 is fully released.

Thanks again for your report on getting all this to work on Win7.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #19
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Thanks PKFFW!!!!

I expanded the WinXP instructions in the WIKI hoping to make it more clear what WinXP users needed to do to get SSH and WinSCP to work for transferring books to OI. Maybe you could add a little Win7 addendum to that explanation, or make your own separate Win7 entry? I am guessing that there will be more and more people needing help like that now that Win7 is fully released.

Thanks again for your report on getting all this to work on Win7.
Tell you what, I'll write out something that makes sense to me sometime over the next couple of days and then post it here. If it makes sense to others then we'll go ahead and put it in the wiki! I wouldn't want to put something in there that ends up just confusing people because it is a garbled mess that only makes sense in my head.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #20
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Tell you what, I'll write out something that makes sense to me sometime over the next couple of days and then post it here. If it makes sense to others then we'll go ahead and put it in the wiki! I wouldn't want to put something in there that ends up just confusing people because it is a garbled mess that only makes sense in my head.

Cheers,
PKFFW
That sounds like a reasonable plan!
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #21
PKFFW
Wizard

Ok, so here's what I came up with as instructions for WinSCP and Windows 7.

If you all think it is clear, concise and would be of help then please add it to the wiki as I don't know how. If you think it needs some work let me know where the confusion or problem or whatever is and I'll do my best to reword it and make it clearer and get it back here.

Cheers,
PKFFW.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Getting WinSCP and OpenInkpot to work on Windows 7.doc (27.5 KB, 514 views)
Old 11-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #22
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Ok, so here's what I came up with as instructions for WinSCP and Windows 7.

If you all think it is clear, concise and would be of help then please add it to the wiki as I don't know how. If you think it needs some work let me know where the confusion or problem or whatever is and I'll do my best to reword it and make it clearer and get it back here.

Cheers,
PKFFW.
I added your instructions to the Wiki for you. All I did was convert your Word document to PDF and then added the PDF to the Wiki as an attachment. I put a note at the beginning of the Windows section indicating that Win7 was a special case and then put a link to your instructions in the Connection section, giving PKFFW credit for the instructions.

EDIT
I have gone back to the Wiki and changed PKFFW's Win7 setup procedure from an attachment to an addendum at the end of the general Windows procedure.

Last edited by Dave_S; 11-20-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Reflect changes made to the Wiki.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #23
PKFFW
Wizard

Thanks Dave.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
.doc, .pdf

eww
Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #25
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
.doc, .pdf

eww
I just figured that everybody has access to a PDF reader.

What is your preference?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #26
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Attached = non-modifiable = not a wiki anymore. My preference is get the text out of the attachment and put it right into a wiki page.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Attached = non-modifiable = not a wiki anymore. My preference is get the text out of the attachment and put it right into a wiki page.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I see what you mean.

I have gone back to the Wiki and changed PKFFW's Win7 setup procedure from an attachment to an addendum at the end of the general Windows procedure.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #28
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Thanks. I just slightly changed formatting, beyond this everything is fine.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #29
hoaxbox
hoaxbox began at the beginning.

Device: none
incase anyone needs an RNDIS driver that works for win7/vista try this..

//====== copy below save as linux.inf ===>>>

; MS-Windows driver config matching some basic modes of the
; Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS gadget firmware:
;
; - RNDIS plus CDC Ethernet ... this may be familiar as a DOCSIS
; cable modem profile, and supports most non-Microsoft USB hosts
;
; - RNDIS plus CDC Subset ... used by hardware that incapable of
; full CDC Ethernet support.
;
; Microsoft only directly supports RNDIS drivers, and bundled them into XP.
; The Microsoft "Remote NDIS USB Driver Kit" is currently found at:
; http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/...ces/rndis.mspx

[Version]
Signature = "$CHICAGO$"
Class = Net
ClassGUID = {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider = %Linux%
Compatible = 1
MillenniumPreferred = .ME
DriverVer = 03/30/2004,0.0.0.0
; catalog file would be used by WHQL
;CatalogFile = Linux.cat

[Manufacturer]
%Linux% = LinuxDevices,NT.5.1

[LinuxDevices]
; NetChip IDs, used by both firmware modes
%LinuxDevice% = RNDIS, USB\VID_0525&PID_a4a2

[LinuxDevices.NT.5.1]
%LinuxDevice% = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_0525&PID_a4a2

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=*

; Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition specific sections --------

[RNDIS]
DeviceID = usb8023
MaxInstance = 512
AddReg = RNDIS_AddReg_98, RNDIS_AddReg_Common

[RNDIS_AddReg_98]
HKR, , DevLoader, 0, *ndis
HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, usb8023.sys
HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "usb8023"
HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 5
HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 0
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis3,ndis4,ndis5"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis3,ndis4,ndis5"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet"
HKR, Ndi\Install, ndis3, 0, "RNDIS_Install_98"
HKR, Ndi\Install, ndis4, 0, "RNDIS_Install_98"
HKR, Ndi\Install, ndis5, 0, "RNDIS_Install_98"
HKR, Ndi, DeviceId, 0, "USB\VID_0525&PID_a4a2"

[RNDIS_Install_98]
CopyFiles=RNDIS_CopyFiles_98

[RNDIS_CopyFiles_98]
usb8023.sys, usb8023w.sys, , 0
rndismp.sys, rndismpw.sys, , 0

; Windows Millennium Edition specific sections --------------------

[RNDIS.ME]
DeviceID = usb8023
MaxInstance = 512
AddReg = RNDIS_AddReg_ME, RNDIS_AddReg_Common
Characteristics = 0x84 ; NCF_PHYSICAL + NCF_HAS_UI
BusType = 15

[RNDIS_AddReg_ME]
HKR, , DevLoader, 0, *ndis
HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, usb8023.sys
HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "usb8023"
HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 5
HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 0
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis3,ndis4,ndis5"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis3,ndis4,ndis5"
HKR, Ndi\Install, ndis3, 0, "RNDIS_Install_ME"
HKR, Ndi\Install, ndis4, 0, "RNDIS_Install_ME"
HKR, Ndi\Install, ndis5, 0, "RNDIS_Install_ME"
HKR, Ndi, DeviceId, 0, "USB\VID_0525&PID_a4a2"

[RNDIS_Install_ME]
CopyFiles=RNDIS_CopyFiles_ME

[RNDIS_CopyFiles_ME]
usb8023.sys, usb8023m.sys, , 0
rndismp.sys, rndismpm.sys, , 0

; Windows 2000 specific sections ---------------------------------

[RNDIS.NT]
BusType = 15
AddReg = RNDIS_AddReg_NT, RNDIS_AddReg_Common
CopyFiles = RNDIS_CopyFiles_NT

[RNDIS.NT.Services]
AddService = USB_RNDIS, 2, RNDIS_ServiceInst_NT, RNDIS_EventLog

[RNDIS_CopyFiles_NT]
; no rename of files on Windows 2000, use the 'k' names as is
usb8023k.sys, , , 0
rndismpk.sys, , , 0

[RNDIS_ServiceInst_NT]
DisplayName = %ServiceDisplayName%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\usb8023k.sys
LoadOrderGroup = NDIS
AddReg = RNDIS_WMI_AddReg_NT

[RNDIS_WMI_AddReg_NT]
HKR, , MofImagePath, 0x00020000, "System32\drivers\rndismpk.sys"

; Windows XP specific sections -----------------------------------

[RNDIS.NT.5.1]
BusType = 15
AddReg = RNDIS_AddReg_NT, RNDIS_AddReg_Common
; no copyfiles - the files are already in place

[RNDIS.NT.5.1.Services]
AddService = USB_RNDIS, 2, RNDIS_ServiceInst_51, RNDIS_EventLog

[RNDIS_ServiceInst_51]
DisplayName = %ServiceDisplayName%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\usb8023.sys
LoadOrderGroup = NDIS
AddReg = RNDIS_WMI_AddReg_51

[RNDIS_WMI_AddReg_51]
HKR, , MofImagePath, 0x00020000, "System32\drivers\rndismp.sys"

; Windows 2000 and Windows XP common sections --------------------

[RNDIS_AddReg_NT]
HKR, Ndi, Service, 0, "USB_RNDIS"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5"

[RNDIS_EventLog]
AddReg = RNDIS_EventLog_AddReg

[RNDIS_EventLog_AddReg]
HKR, , EventMessageFile, 0x00020000, "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\netevent.dll"
HKR, , TypesSupported, 0x00010001, 7

; Common Sections -------------------------------------------------

[RNDIS_AddReg_Common]
HKR, NDI\params\NetworkAddress, ParamDesc, 0, %NetworkAddress%
HKR, NDI\params\NetworkAddress, type, 0, "edit"
HKR, NDI\params\NetworkAddress, LimitText, 0, "12"
HKR, NDI\params\NetworkAddress, UpperCase, 0, "1"
HKR, NDI\params\NetworkAddress, default, 0, " "
HKR, NDI\params\NetworkAddress, optional, 0, "1"

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%SourceDisk%,,1

[SourceDisksFiles]
usb8023m.sys=1
rndismpm.sys=1
usb8023w.sys=1
rndismpw.sys=1
usb8023k.sys=1
rndismpk.sys=1

[DestinationDirs]
RNDIS_CopyFiles_98 = 10, system32/drivers
RNDIS_CopyFiles_ME = 10, system32/drivers
RNDIS_CopyFiles_NT = 12

[Strings]
ServiceDisplayName = "USB Remote NDIS Network Device Driver"
NetworkAddress = "Network Address"
Linux = "Linux Developer Community"
LinuxDevice = "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget"
SourceDisk = "Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget Driver Install Disk"

//================================================== ========>>>
Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #30
PKFFW
Wizard

Will saving that as a linux.inf file and then following the SSH instructions for Windows XP on the OI site, enable one to set up SSH natively under Windows 7 rather than having to set up the Virtual PC as I did?

Cheers,
PKFFW