Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting. My wife and I both looked at a 700 screen, and it looked plenty clear to us. But we did not compare it directly to a 505 screen. I'm not saying to discount this information, but I would encourage anyone to take a look for themselves, and see if the 700 screen is okay to them.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Having not held or seen personally a 700 I have a question. People are talking about the lights being the issue with perhaps the screen not looking as white as the 505. Is there an extra piece of plexi-glass above the lights sort of like a double pain window? Or, are the lights just above the screen... so, you could block a light with your finger if you wanted to?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Having not held or seen personally a 700 I have a question. People are talking about the lights being the issue with perhaps the screen not looking as white as the 505. Is there an extra piece of plexi-glass above the lights sort of like a double pain window? Or, are the lights just above the screen... so, you could block a light with your finger if you wanted to?

BOb
i had that same thought... it would appear there is an extra piece of plexiglass above the screen, thus no doubt the problems with screen clarity and contrast. (stupid lights !!!)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i had that same thought... it would appear there is an extra piece of plexiglass above the screen, thus no doubt the problems with screen clarity and contrast. (stupid lights !!!)
If so, why would they do that? I don't see any reason for an extra piece. Can it be cut off?

BOb
Old 11-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If so, why would they do that? I don't see any reason for an extra piece. Can it be cut off?

BOb
by the user ?? i wouldn't try it (you may be more intrepid (or insane) than i am). by sony ? i fervently hope so.
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
by the user ?? i wouldn't try it (you may be more intrepid (or insane) than i am). by sony ? i fervently hope so.
No, I mean by the user. Of course, better if sony dropped the extra layer.

I think a hot exacto knife might work here. You first.

BOb
Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #37
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
The biggest problem with eInk on all devices so far is the contrast -- the background is always grey, not white (like a piece of paper).
Whilst a lot of my non-fiction books use white paper, most of my novels (which are mostly in paperback) are on off white, sort-of pale yellow-beige paper - and I far prefer the Sony's grey to that!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
No, I mean by the user. Of course, better if sony dropped the extra layer.

I think a hot exacto knife might work here. You first.

BOb
pfff. yeah okay.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #39
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Can we have step-by-step photos from whoever does do it please?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
If someone sends me one. I will be happy to preform the surgery and document the whole process.

BOb
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
yes please.

(pilotbob ?? if you like, i'll be the nurse and hand you the tools.
"hot x-acto knife ?" "hot x-acto knife...")
Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #42
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I looked at the 700 last night along size with my 505. In person the screen resolution on both devices look the same and just as crisp.

The degradation in the photograph is caused by the plastic covering the 700. Since the human eye is far superior than most digital cameras the reduction in light absorbed by the plastic cover is captured in the digital camera but not to the naked eye.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #43
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well that's encouraging. I was trying to figure out whether the contrast issue was only an optical illusion caused by the glass or the result of an inferior screen. I wish I could go and check it out for myself but the closest sony store to me is about 1.5 hours away.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #44
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:

BOb
It's probably used as a conduit for the light, similar to the lightwedge.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #45
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Where are the pictures?

I'm going to have to see it in person, since the extra glass between you and the e-ink will most certainly make the 700 LOOK less sharp when taking a picture.

I'll let everyone know what I think tomorrow.

Last edited by johnnyr; 11-06-2008 at 08:54 PM.
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote