Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
doremifaso
Connoisseur
doremifaso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2
Some questions before I buy PW2...

I have been using my PRS-650 all along, and I am considering buying the new Paperwhite after doing some research. I am also planning to use the Kindle for Android app, so I could sync between PW2 and my phone. There are some questions that I would like to ask before I actually go buy PW2 though.

1) Using PW2, when you search a word or a phase within a book, is there an option to search the web? Does it automatically jump to the web browser and show the results? What other search options (within a book) is there?

2) In the page navigation pane, there are arrows on the side for you to flip pages. If you hold your press on the arrow, does it flip the page continuously? Or you have to keep on tapping to flip the page? With sony reader, if you hold the press on the next page button, it will continue to flip.

3) How long does it normally take to email your files to kindle? I tried emailing a file to my kindle android app, and it took a long time before it reach the kindle cloud and then some more time to reach my phone. Is it normal?

4) I have converted some books to mobi with Calibre. After I downloaded my files to the kindle android app, I can see the cover art everywhere in the app, except the home page carousel. Do you know why? Is it because the app is fetching the cover art from Amazon instead of the cover art in the file? I also can't see the cover art on my "Manage Your Kindle" webpage. Do they fetch the cover art from Amazon as well?

5) I was adding notes within a book using the kindle android app. After I created the note, it also highlighted the text as well. If I go to View Notes and Marks, it shows both a note and a highlighted section. I was expecting only a note would be created. Is it a known bug? Is it the same for PW2?

6) I heard that it is easier to manage collections with Kindle for PC and then import the collections into PW, so I was testing that out as well. The problem is that I can't see my personal documents under the "Archived Items" category. Those files are in my kindle cloud, and I am certain that my K4PC is connected to the cloud properly. I have asked Amazon Customer support online, and they said that my personal files are not compatible for K4PC. My personal files are the mobi files I converted from Calibre, so I don't see why it is not compatible. I have also uploaded a random txt file, and I still couldn't see it in K4PC. Does anyone have this problem as well?

Last edited by doremifaso; 10-11-2013 at 12:26 AM.
doremifaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
doremifaso
Connoisseur

Some more questions:

7) If I send files to my kindle using the name@free.kindle.com email address, there will be two copies in the cloud. But if I send it to name@kindle.com, there's only one. Also, there's a confirmation email send back to you from Amazon if you use name@free.kindle.com, but no emails if you use name@kindle.com. Do you know why this happens? Which email do you usually use, and why?

8) I notice that when I send mobi files to kindle, they are converted to azw. Is is normal? Why do they do that? Should I just covert my files to azw in Calibre instead?
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
doremifaso
Connoisseur

9) Can I email my files to both the kindle andriod app and PW2 using the same email address? If each device need a unique email address, does that mean I need to email my files to one device, and download from the cloud for the other device?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
1) As far as I can tell, you cannot just search the web from inside the book. There is a box with one tab for the dictionary definition, and one tab for wikipedia that shows up when you highlight a word (see this pic from amazon). You can also translate from the more menu there. ETA: if you're asking about the "search" button on the lower left, the options there are: this book, all text, and kindle store. Internet is not an option.

2) Yes, you can continuously flip pages by pressing and holding the arrows in the page flip window.

3) It seems to depend on the file size and whether it needs to be converted. It usually takes about a minute for me, sometimes a bit longer, but I've never had it take over five.

4) I don't have experience with the android app, but to get cover art on your books on your PW, you will want to add books through Calibre ("send to device"). You can also get rid of the Personal banner via this method. Cover art is not fetched from Amazon. Amazon uses the ASIN to fetch information, and Calibre fills in a random ASIN when it processes the file. Something about Amazon not liking their data used in that way from sideloaded books? Anyway, no. Not fetching from Amazon. You'll need to make sure your cover is correct in Calibre.

5) This does happen, but you can go back and delete the highlight from your notes/highlights, and the note will remain.

6) No experience here, sorry.

7) No experience here, as I don't have a 3G kindle. However, since I don't, mine is only name@kindle.com. Only one copy shows up in the cloud, and I don't get confirmation emails.

8) You can convert to azw if you like (this will allow you to embed custom fonts, for instance), but be aware that Amazon does not support sending azw/azw3 format files through their send to kindle service. If this is your intent, stick with mobi.

9) If you download the send to kindle app onto your computer, you may checkmark multiple devices to send the document to. Otherwise, I believe you are correct.

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-11-2013 at 12:34 AM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
doremifaso
Connoisseur

Thank you for your detailed reply, 7hir7een!! It's most helpful.

I have some farther questions:

2) How about when you are reading a book? Can you flip continuously while reading a book? Is there a gesture for that?

3) Really? It only takes 1-5 minutes for you to send it to your kindle? For me, it took me almost 30 minutes to reach my android kindle app, and the file size is around 1MB. I did some more testing, and one thing I noticed is that if I convert the file to mobi in Calibre using the enable facebook sharing option, then the file can be sent to my app rather quickly, like 1-5 minutes as you said. But if I disable this option, it took around 30 minutes to send it.

New questions:

10) Can I add names or label bookmarks in PW2?

11) In the new page navigation window, is there a shortcut to access the table of contents? Or do you need to go to the "Go to" menu to access it?

12) When reading a book, you can tap on different regions to invoke different functions. When you tap left bottom corner, you will change reading progress. When you tap top right corner, it will go to bookmarks. What happens when you tap the bottom right corner? And what about top left corner? Is there any special function it will invoke?

13) Do you usually keep wi-fi on while reading on PW? If you don't, would it be a hassle to turn it on at the end of your reading session every time to sync the farthest page read with other devices? If you always turn wifi on all the time, how long will the battery last?

Does any one have an answer for question #4 regarding the android app and #6 regarding K4PC?
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

#6: The K4PC and K4Mac apps are NOT compatible with Personal Docs located on your cloud. That means you cannot download Personal Docs located on your cloud to your K4PC or K4Mac app. You can open local copies of Personal Docs, but they won't sync with those in the cloud. It sucks, but that is the way it is.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

#11: No shortcut to TOC in Page Nav window.

#12: Tapping bottom right corner = nothing. Tapping top left corner brings up the Menu.

#13: I keep WiFi on and I don't think it is a huge issue with battery longevity. The light on the otherhand is sucking down my battery in 3 to 4 days of normal reading.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremifaso View Post
Thank you for your detailed reply, 7hir7een!! It's most helpful.

I have some farther questions:

2) How about when you are reading a book? Can you flip continuously while reading a book? Is there a gesture for that?

3) Really? It only takes 1-5 minutes for you to send it to your kindle? For me, it took me almost 30 minutes to reach my android kindle app, and the file size is around 1MB. I did some more testing, and one thing I noticed is that if I convert the file to mobi in Calibre using the enable facebook sharing option, then the file can be sent to my app rather quickly, like 1-5 minutes as you said. But if I disable this option, it took around 30 minutes to send it.

New questions:

10) Can I add names or label bookmarks in PW2?

11) In the new page navigation window, is there a shortcut to access the table of contents? Or do you need to go to the "Go to" menu to access it?

12) When reading a book, you can tap on different regions to invoke different functions. When you tap left bottom corner, you will change reading progress. When you tap top right corner, it will go to bookmarks. What happens when you tap the bottom right corner? And what about top left corner? Is there any special function it will invoke?

13) Do you usually keep wi-fi on while reading on PW? If you don't, would it be a hassle to turn it on at the end of your reading session every time to sync the farthest page read with other devices? If you always turn wifi on all the time, how long will the battery last?

Does any one have an answer for question #4 regarding the android app and #6 regarding K4PC?

Here is a link to the paperwhite user's guide: http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/UserG...erGuide_US.pdf
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote