huffy49
huffy49 began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom, Augen Book, Kindle, and more
Calibre virus?

I've had a lot of trouble installing the latest (0.9.4.1) version of Calibre:
1. AVG says it's infected.
2. It needs UAC disabled to install properly
3. It wants a restart after installation

All three symptoms look very suspicious to me. Anybody experience this?

Also, is there a way to revert to an earlier version of Calibre? I don't trust 0.9.4.1

TIA
huffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Where did you get 0.9.4.1? The latest version i see is 0.9.4 [26 Oct, 2012].

http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would suggest that as long as you got Calibre from the official download site that #2 and #3 are normal and #1 is an AVG false alert. Lots of people use Calibre. If there were really a virus many people would have reported it right away.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've never had the need to disable UAC OR to restart after installing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
Where did you get 0.9.4.1? The latest version i see is 0.9.4 [26 Oct, 2012].

http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
and not a hint of troubles from it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just found a German website offering downloads of calibre, and I do NOT recommend that anyone here copy and paste this link.

Quote:
http://calibre.updatestar.com/en/edit/0.8.43/d81176c212
Norton has red-flagged the site as containing a virus ("Trojan.ADH.2").

This is NOT calibre's website. calibre's main page is http://calibre-ebook.com/ and their download page is http://calibre-ebook.com/download.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use AVG and installed 9.4 on a few systems. Not a wimper.

9.4.1 sounds like a social engineering (malware) job to me
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
...9.4.1 sounds like a social engineering (malware) job to me
That's what it sounds like to me, especially since the calibre web page says that 0.9.4 is the latest version. I sent Kovid a heads-up PM about this thread.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Here's the FAQ entry about it:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....a-virus-trojan
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote