Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think the outside is leather, not vinyl. It certainly smells like leather. I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship of the case - it's beautifully made, unlike the leather case for my Sony, which was a disaster.
Omg
You always said that Sony leather cover is superb and you like it so much...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Omg
You always said that Sony leather cover is superb and you like it so much...
It WAS good, compared with the vinyl cover supplied with the Sony. I'd recommend anyone to buy it who has a Sony.

BUT, as you know, there were major problems with covers for the PRS-500; they relied on their "alignment" on a connector which was put on the cover by hand, and a very high proportion of them were misaligned, such that one side of the Reader stuck out of the cover. Mine was OK, but many were not.

The cover for the Gen3 is beautifully designed and a million times better .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
I think the outside is leather, not vinyl. It certainly smells like leather. I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship of the case - it's beautifully made, unlike the leather case for my Sony, which was a disaster.
i received my brown cover yesterday after returning the black m-edge to bookeen. i don't think the outside is leather tho'. look close to the cybook logo. a bit of a plastic look there. it certainly is different from the inside which is genuine leather. i had expected the outside to be the same as the inside. so a bit disappointed. but the finishing touch (the brown paint) was well done.

by the way i love the black leather case for my sony 505. no, not the ugly brown one that you get for free...
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
by the way i love the black leather case for my sony 505. no, not the ugly brown one that you get for free...
I understand that the 505 cases are completely differently to those for the 500, which is what I had. The 500 cases were rather poorly designed.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #20
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
i received my brown cover yesterday after returning the black m-edge to bookeen. i don't think the outside is leather tho'. look close to the cybook logo. a bit of a plastic look there. it certainly is different from the inside which is genuine leather. i had expected the outside to be the same as the inside. so a bit disappointed. but the finishing touch (the brown paint) was well done.

Your cover was probably done by a real craftsman. Mine probably by a trainee.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #21
Gerry
Enthusiast
Gerry began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Why did you return the black m-edge? And now that you have seen both how would you compare them?

-Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
philodox
philodox doesn't litterphilodox doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen CyBook Gen 3
PLEASE, someone who doesn't like their leather cover... sell it to me!

All this talk of the cover is killing me.
philodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Why did you return the black m-edge? And now that you have seen both how would you compare them?

-Gerry
i'm carrying my cybook everywhere i go. and with a tight cover it would fit in every bag that i have. the m-edge just didn't. it's bigger and i only wanted a cover for the cybook. and i loved the cybook cover they showed on their website. that's why i ordered that one seperately after i already had the cybook. just a plain cover not something that gave me a chance to take with me a pen, bussinesscards or extra sd-cards.

other than that the leather of the m-edge looked really good.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #24
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I understand that the 505 cases are completely differently to those for the 500, which is what I had. The 500 cases were rather poorly designed.
Hey, I like the original cover that came with my 500 (even though I have ordered the NAEB version of the Cybook - mainly for the dictionary capability).
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #25
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
i'm carrying my cybook everywhere i go. and with a tight cover it would fit in every bag that i have. the m-edge just didn't. it's bigger and i only wanted a cover for the cybook. and i loved the cybook cover they showed on their website. that's why i ordered that one seperately after i already had the cybook. just a plain cover not something that gave me a chance to take with me a pen, bussinesscards or extra sd-cards.

That is the same reason why I wanted the brown cover, because the one of M-Edge looked bigger than the one of Bookeen and that would be a problem. Now I can stick it right into my inner pocket in my jacket.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #26
Gerry
Enthusiast
Gerry began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:

Thanks for the comparison Julia. I agree that it's good to have a smaller cover so you can carry the cybook more easily.
As they say, size does matter!
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It's generally a nice cover - not too bulky, protects the Cybook, and the magnet closing is really neat; no closing flap that is... well... flapping annoyingly. Colour is fine, too, and I can follow those who feel it lends the cybook a slightly oldfashioned feel.

What I do not like at all, is that Bookeen is advertising it as being genuine leather when it isn't. I don't mind nice-looking plastic, which this is, but I don't like to expect leather and receive plastic. That's cheap in any sense of the word.

For those of you who still thinks parts of this is leather; firstly, please take closer look, preferably with a magnifying glass. Secondly, it doesn't feel much like leather to the touch--both inside or out. The tactile qualities are just wrong. Especially the outside looks and feel fake, which I can see that several of you already has noticed. The inside is more subtle, but the apparent thinness of the material, combined with the uniformity of the look, makes me believe that it is imitated leather, too. And if it is leather, it's a cheap quality. The backside of the inside material (if you fold back the top of the 'pocket') is imitated suede for sure. The uniformly silky-smooth feel and the way it reflects light, as well as the way it looks in good lighting under a magnifying glass, is enough to persuade me, but then I have a little experience with textile fibres and how to recognise them.

Since I do need a cover--and this is basically an okay cover--I don't want to take it apart for further testing, but what I can ascertain from touch and look, I'm very, very sure there's used no real leather. I can live with it though, because it works fine as a cover and looks okay--but if it's not Bookeen ripping me off--then someone has ripped Bookeen off.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ea_ View Post
Since I do need a cover--and this is basically an okay cover--I don't want to take it apart for further testing, but what I can ascertain from touch and look, I'm very, very sure there's used no real leather. I can live with it though, because it works fine as a cover and looks okay--but if it's not Bookeen ripping me off--then someone has ripped Bookeen off.
Smell it - you can't "fake" the smell of leather. It's definitely leather - at least on the inside.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #29
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I suppose the outer leather is supposed to look more elegant with its finer structure, but as far as i can tell it is real leather. I agree though, that the inside looks more genuine. I will have someone who should know have a look at the material and ask him what he thinks.

The material itself is too thin though i think. I already have several tiny rips in the outer hull.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #30
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
I agree the Bookeen cover looks and feels very good, (mine is definitely leather) and it resembles a diary. However I am a little puzzled as to why it was designed to double the thickness of the device. The Sony cover, although not leather is rather good too, but it doesn't increase the thickness of the device anywhere near as much.
John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote