Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
iPod Touch

With the unveiling of the iPod Touch and its beautiful high density screen today, a slightly unusual (to the general iPod audience) question jumped to my mind: is there any way to read (non-drm'ed) PDF's on it?

How does the iPhone deal with online PDF's? Is a PDF reader on the homebrew hackers' radar?

While I certainly won't abandon my e-ink (sony) device as a primary reading tool, the high density screen & zoom/pan sound pretty good for reading magazines that publish non-drm'ed versions (like Sci-Am, Eweek, etc).

-adin
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!

Bad form to answer my own question, but I found a couple things that are *close* to what I'm looking for, though I still haven't found a native pdf reader.

It appears that Safari can directly open pdf urls, so you can upload pdfs and read them online.

There's also an ebook reader project on google code called books.app though it only reads text and html (it does do gutenberg html). The lead dev/project owner has grudgingly added pdf to the dev plan, though he made it low priority, so it doesn't appear to be anything that's going to happen soon.

Soonr give remote access to documents & skype, but from their website appears to reformat documents for mobile viewing (free service for now, soon to make a premium paid service). Drat, *so* close.

Is there anything else out there that I've missed?

Last edited by adinb; 09-05-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Excellent! I got sucked in and ordered one of those this morning. My next stop was to post this same question. I imagine there will be plenty of solutions for text files on the ipod in the next few months.

Thanks for the links.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinb View Post
Bad form to answer my own question, but I found a couple things that are *close* to what I'm looking for, though I still haven't found a native pdf reader.

It appears that Safari can directly open pdf urls, so you can upload pdfs and read them online.

There's also an ebook reader project on google code called books.app though it only reads text and html (it does do gutenberg html). The lead dev/project owner has grudgingly added pdf to the dev plan, though he made it low priority, so it doesn't appear to be anything that's going to happen soon.

Soonr give remote access to documents & skype, but from their website appears to reformat documents for mobile viewing (free service for now, soon to make a premium paid service). Drat, *so* close.

Is there anything else out there that I've missed?
If Safari can open PDF files you could try using Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com

One of the available template (A4/Sony/iLiad) might work OK with the iPhone/iPod Touch. You can also create custom PDFs for it. This way it should be easy to get a good looking e-book on your device...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!

Being the owner of feedbooks and all, would you consider making a "locker" for iPhone/iTouch owners to make their own little pdf/html/txt access areas? I could see it as mainly as an area to bookmark/save links to books that you're reading....
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just don't see the point of these new iPods at all. They are clearly ideal for video, and yet they don't have hard disks! Why on Earth make them "flash memory" devices rather than having a hard disk? Video needs large storage capacities far more than music does. Seems crazy to me! The only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps they are basically "iPhones minus the phone"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I was actually more interested in the 3rd generation Nano, hoping that they'd offer a 16GB model. Unfortunately, they went a different way altogether and made it smaller (perhaps too small) and cheaper and added the (IMO rather useless) video playback.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I just don't see the point of these new iPods at all. They are clearly ideal for video, and yet they don't have hard disks! Why on Earth make them "flash memory" devices rather than having a hard disk? Video needs large storage capacities far more than music does. Seems crazy to me! The only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps they are basically "iPhones minus the phone"?
I agree. The new iPod Classic with its 80 or 160 Gb drive is perfect for video, why flash memory for the iPod Touch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adinb View Post
Being the owner of feedbooks and all, would you consider making a "locker" for iPhone/iTouch owners to make their own little pdf/html/txt access areas? I could see it as mainly as an area to bookmark/save links to books that you're reading....
Hmm... a locker ? You mean a page with multiple links ? You could use the favorites to do this I guess...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Durability ans weight. Micro hard drives have a nasty tendancy to stop working when crashing to the ground. The iPod is a device built to give one company in action. This is why I bought a Nano, it's great while I train.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Durability ans weight. Micro hard drives have a nasty tendancy to stop working when crashing to the ground. The iPod is a device built to give one company in action. This is why I bought a Nano, it's great while I train.
I've had a number of hard-disk iPods and never had a failure - they are extremely tough.

This new device would seem ideal as a personal video player, but without a hard disk it's really not going to compete head-to-head against devices such as those produced by Archos.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The lack of a hard disk is realy disapointing. I'm still considering one because of the form factor, touch screen, and hackability.

Perhaps with enough of a demand, they will release a high capacity version simliar to that of the classic. I really wouldn't mind the extra thickness.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
My iRiver iHP-140 is 3 years old and the disk is still in perfect shape.

I understand why having flash memory is important on a small device like the Nano, but with the iPod Touch, I can't imagine myself running while watching some video podcast on it. The iPod Touch is a lot more like an Archos than a Nano...
Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Man o man, that's a sweet device! Guess I can quite complaining about it being locked to a cellphone. I actually watched the video on Apple's website where the seemingly sleeping individual walked you through all the new things they put into it "just for you!" That last one's kind of a joke, like they really added wireless to the iPod for you or YouTube, for that matter. It stinks of a major deal made with Google (esp. since the default search engine is Google, not that I mind since that's what I use most of the time) and yet another way for Apple to milk micro-transactions. I think they kinda stole the idea of wifi from the Zune, but they left out the feature that you can share songs with other iPods; e.g., like the Zune can.

I so want one of these, I just wish it had more memory. Though I'm sure it's a lot cheaper to throw a few SSD chips on board than to have to include a microdrive, not to mention it makes the device a whole lot lighter, thinner, and energy-efficient. It's a little pricey for the 16GB model, though I will get one eventually. I also like the re-engineered Nano; perfect for the gym to the commute to work! Oh man, Apple sure dropped a major cash-cow into the market, and just in time for Christmas (and my birthday!).

BTW Want to see some goofy figures, check out how you can fit more songs on your 8GB Nano than the 8GB iTouch, but less pictures and two hours more video on a device with a larger screen; i.e., higher resolution! Considering how they expect you to get your songs and videos from the same store, I wonder how they tricked this out? Here's the link
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
Presumably the iPod Touch version of Safari can still read PDFs. Unfortunately, the new machine doesn't seem to support email, so one avenue that's proven useful on the iPhone for getting PDF files into the machine is not available on the new device.

I've tested the FileMark Maker hack as another way to view offline PDFs via iPhone Safari, and it seems to work well for smaller files (less than 1 or 2 megs). See a video demo of PDFs on the iPhone.

Last edited by gmanacsa; 09-06-2007 at 04:39 PM.
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

A quick search on Google pdfs on iPhone threw up some interesting links.

There's a link here from David Pogue about reading books on the iPhone:

http://www.oreillynet.com/mmgadgets/..._iphone_1.html

Seems to be that there's an inbuilt pdf reader that is used by Safari as well.

I found a lot of interesting material about pdfs in iTunes (of all things) it looks like you can download pfs in the same way as you download a track - or subscribe to one in the same way as you subscribe to a podcast. Presumably you can then get them onto your iPod touch simply by syncing.

I'd love to see FeedBooks on there!

Here's theComplete guide to pdfs on ITunes. If you're curious you can also try searching for '.pdf' ino the itunes store search ending.

Of course good old basic html is still very much an option as well.

The dilemma for me is whether to get one now or wait for the HD version. the lack of the HD version is a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure Apple will produce one - there would be a hell of a market among photographers especially if they build in RAW support.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote