Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Kitabi
Connoisseur
Kitabi is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
100 million books downloaded from iBooks

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/1...ngs-on-new-pu/

who are these people? don't sound like the folks at MR.
Kitabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
probably the free whinnie the phoo
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
downloads don't equal sales
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
or reads for that matter.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
downloads don't equal sales
Thank you. I didn't see that trick in the phrasing at first. But you're right, if most of them are free books, it doesn't mean the same at all.
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, I downloaded several of the Kaplan freebies (in December?) to my iThing, but they later showed up free on B&N and Amazon, so I never even opened any of the ones from iBookstore.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
I've downloaded some books through iBooks, but haven't done anything outside of checking out how they appear.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
How is this different from the numerous freebie downloads of Kindle books? I've downloaded freebie kindle books, B&N books, iBooks for reading on my iPad. True, I haven't read all of them either. But I do download books that I intend to get around to reading.

It's certainly _AN_ indication of the use of iBooks. And given that I buy most of my books from Amazon (these days) and read them on my iPad -- even iBook sales don't speak solely to the use of the iPad for reading.

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Note that there are 200 million active (CC data) iTunes accounts. So 100 million ebook downloads means one for every 2 accounts. Not a lot at all!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Note that there are 200 million active (CC data) iTunes accounts. So 100 million ebook downloads means one for every 2 accounts. Not a lot at all!
Those iTunes accounts will include people with (pre-Touch) iPods that can't read eBooks.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Those iTunes accounts will include people with (pre-Touch) iPods that can't read eBooks.
True. And even those with such devices might well be staying away from the Apple iBooks store because of the DRM and lack of readers for other platforms (even Mac OS X!)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Wow and how does that compare to the number of book sales from Amazon and Barns and Nobles? Do electronic readers go to electronic book stores for their electronic book or do they go to a computer company? When I started learning about electronic book I emediately associated electronic books with the two dominant book stores in my home town, Borders and Barns and Nobles, however I can understand why others associate electronic books with Apple. Is apple leading in terms of number of ebooks sold? I am rather interested in what can be learned via an analysis of the data.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Wow and how does that compare to the number of book sales from Amazon and Barns and Nobles? Do electronic readers go to electronic book stores for their electronic book or do they go to a computer company? When I started learning about electronic book I emediately associated electronic books with the two dominant book stores in my home town, Borders and Barns and Nobles, however I can understand why others associate electronic books with Apple. Is apple leading in terms of number of ebooks sold? I am rather interested in what can be learned via an analysis of the data.
Amazon don't give out many hard numbers. They have said that since 1st January 2011, in the US, they have sold 115 ebooks for every 100 paperbacks they've sold.

Morris Rosenthal estimates that in the last week of 2010, Amazon sold 3 million ebooks.

Amazon also noted that their top five best-selling Kindle authors have each sold over 500,000 Kindle ebooks each.

NB Apple's 100 million might well include free ebooks, which Amazon's figures don't.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Considering how abyssmal sales have been at the iBookstore, I don't believe this means anything other than PR.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote