Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Kobo Store with Sony reader?

Apologies if this is already covered in a sticky or FAQ. I looked for an answer, but couldn't find one.

I have a Sony eReader, a PRS-950, but I used the Kobo Android App on my phone for months before I got the Sony, which means I have accumulated a bit of a library. I installed the Kobo desktop software on my laptop and signed in to my account and was happy to see that my entire library is there, but I'm not sure how to get the books onto my Sony. Kobo's website was less than informative, and doesn't even list the 950, only the 900. Before I start to play and tweak with conversion software and accidentally over-complicate this, I thought I'd ask around here and see if anyone can help me out.

Is there an easy and obvious way to get my Kobo-bought books onto the Sony reader, that I'm simply over-looking just because I'm expecting this to to be difficult and complicated?

Thanks in advance.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Is there an easy and obvious way to get my Kobo-bought books onto the Sony reader, that I'm simply over-looking just because I'm expecting this to to be difficult and complicated?
Install Adobe Digital Editions and download your ebooks from the website using the "ADOBE DRM EPUB" links? That's what I do.

Haven't installed the Kobo software on my PC so I don't know how that one works specifically or if the books downloaded using Kobo software will work on the PRS-950 after it's been authorized.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait, back up... I can authorize my Sony reader for use with the Kobo store? That would be very smooth and easy if that's the case... If that doesn't work I'll try using the Adobe program you mentioned, if that works for you there's no reason it won't work for me.

Thanks! I'll test things out when I get home from work tonight, and report back on the outcome.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wait, back up... I can authorize my Sony reader for use with the Kobo store? That would be very smooth and easy if that's the case... If that doesn't work I'll try using the Adobe program you mentioned, if that works for you there's no reason it won't work for me.

Thanks! I'll test things out when I get home from work tonight, and report back on the outcome.
I don't have Kobo software installed on my PC. I used Adobe Digital Editions to authorize my reader (PRS-350). What I do is buy Kobo ebooks on the website and download the ebooks via the "ADOBE DRM EPUB" link. Then, I just copy the downloaded ePub files to the PRS-350. That seems to works just fine.

I apologize if I've confused you with my earlier post.

Found step-by-step instructions on the Kobo website:
http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/3826...650-or-prs-350

Same applies for the PRS-950.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-09-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you prefer you can also download the DRM'd ePub's directly into the Sony software instead of using ADE (just open the .acsm with the Sony software instead of ADE).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you prefer you can also download the DRM'd ePub's directly into the Sony software instead of using ADE (just open the .acsm with the Sony software instead of ADE).
That would be handy, if I used the Sony software. Can I do it with Calibre?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
That would be handy, if I used the Sony software. Can I do it with Calibre?
Downloading the file using the .acsm, no. Library management and copying of the downloaded ePub files to the PRS-950, yes. Since the downloaded files have DRM, though, you can't do any format conversions, etc.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

It's embarrassing how easy this was; it just didn't occur to me to try it last night.

All I had to do was plug in the 950 and then start the Kobo desktop app. It loaded, and showed "Device connected: eReader" in the library, and asked me if I wanted to Eject the device or Sync it. I clicked "sync" and the books are now on the 950.

Stupidly simple.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It's embarrassing how easy this was; it just didn't occur to me to try it last night.

All I had to do was plug in the 950 and then start the Kobo desktop app. It loaded, and showed "Device connected: eReader" in the library, and asked me if I wanted to Eject the device or Sync it. I clicked "sync" and the books are now on the 950.

Stupidly simple.
Actually I would say cleverly simple.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually I would say cleverly simple.
Embarrassingly simple!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Wow, I had no idea the Kobo desktop software would sync the library to non-Kobo devices. You learn something new every day!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Wow, I had no idea the Kobo desktop software would sync the library to non-Kobo devices. You learn something new every day!
Sure does. Even the Nook (last I checked).. but of course not Kindle (awww).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
FWIW, the desktop software also syncs perfectly with the android app, but that wasn't nearly as much of a surprise.