Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
solloron1
solloron1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Formatting issues

Im doing some tweaking and formatting with the book The Hobbit (it is in epub but converting to mobi, sorry if this is the wrong place). I was taking some things out and making it all look nice with a ncx file.

I was having a really hard time figuring out why the heading 'Chapter I' kept going on a new page, when converted to mobi. I checked the html and all seemed well and it appeared correctly in the web.

So after messing around all day the word 'PARTY' has been giving me issues. I have no idea why. It is the chapter title. It puts the chapter heading on its own seperate page and this is the only chapter that does it. Any reason you guys can think of why this is happening. I've looked over the code and can't find anything that would cause this behavior.

Thanks
solloron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe the fact that it starts with "PART"?

What are you using for converting to Mobi?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
solloron1

Im using calibre
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
solloron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Maybe the fact that it starts with "PART"?

What are you using for converting to Mobi?
I tested it and you are correct. I took the P out of party and there was no issue. Isn't there someway in html you can take a word that is usually considered part of the languages syntax and make it a normal word?

Update:

Even adding the ascii value of an uppercase P and typing 'ARTY' still makes it skip like before.

Last edited by solloron1; 04-12-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try changing the options in calibre, maybe its automatic structure detection is causing the troubles. If you are starting with a well-structured ePUB, I don't think you need id anyway, try to disable it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
solloron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Try changing the options in calibre, maybe its automatic structure detection is causing the troubles. If you are starting with a well-structured ePUB, I don't think you need id anyway, try to disable it.
I figured it out thanks to your excellent advice again. In the detect chapters there was a section that had specific words to take out. And low and behold part is in the regular expression (i think that is what you would call it). I took it out and im good to go. Thanks again.