Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
JasonAug
JasonAug began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone (Stanza)
Sort by and displaying page number

I was wondering if there is a way to see the length of the ebook without actually opening it. Since size =/= length in ebooks. Also is there a sorting by length option. If not, are there plans to implement these features.
JasonAug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I know there is no way to directly derive the length of an ebook file without actually opening it and parsing its contents. The file size can be a very rough indication, but that can be heavily affected by both how text has been formatted, and also whether there are embedded graphics.

I do not recall any interest expressed by any of the calibre developers in having such a feature. This matters as since calibre is open source, features only get added to calibre if someone is interested enough to work on them. Of course I could be wrong there and your post could spark off interest.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
JasonAug
JasonAug began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone (Stanza)
Normally I never use adobe digital edition (except for books with DRM), but it does have both displaying and sorting by page numbers in its function. Its a shame that seeing page numbers is the only use I have for Adobe DE.
JasonAug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You can always just create a custom column and put the information there. You'd have to manually populate that, though.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre