Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Wired: The Kindle in the tablet world

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/0...tories+2%29%29
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
If you are serious about long-form reading, the Kindle is an awesome, inexpensive device to enjoy books on.

If you want to read newspapers and magazines, a good sized desktop screen or large screen laptop is ideal.

If mobility and multimedia is important, and you have an affordable data connection, a tablet such as an iPad is a good solution.

Can you read books on an iPad? Sure. Can you surf the web with a Kindle over wifi at the airport? Sure. But neither is optimal nor a good reason to acquire the device for these purposes ... it's just a nice perk.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Well, at least some of the tech media are recovering from the idea that the Kindle is "dead meat" in a tablet world....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Comparing the experience of reading on an iPad to surfing the web on a kindle? Interesting.

The kindle has it's winning points for sure....price, battery life, reading in full sunlight. For some folks, it's eInk screen is comfortable on their eyes while a tablet is not. But that's only some people.

But the iPad is a terrific reader heads up against the kindle for most people in most lighting situations. Not just for color, not just for the web, or magazines. The only scenario where the iPad is a poor reader is in direct sunlight. I read outside in the shade all the time, and for hours on end.

The kindle's new price point will keep them in business.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Thanks for the link. The relevant points, for me, were suitability for sustained reading and the absence of distractions. Old-fashioned, bookish virtues that need rescuing in this era of relentless multitasking.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be a nice virtue perhaps (freedom from distraction), but it is not inherrently a virtue of the kindle. Still have that cell phone in your pocket, tv across the room, soda or beer in the fridge calling your name. Merely reading on a kindle does not free you from distraction.

If you are the type to go find a quiet place specifically to be free of distraction, then you can certainly avoid distracting yourself when reading on an iPad. If you don't have the discipline to read on iPad, I seriously doubt you have the discipline to remove all the other distractions available to even kindle readers.

Lee
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It would be a nice virtue perhaps (freedom from distraction), but it is not inherrently a virtue of the kindle.... Merely reading on a kindle does not free you from distraction.
I believe the sensory deprivation tank is a 3rd party accessory.

The iPad isn't quite as distracting as I thought it was going to be, but IMO it does offer more opportunities for distraction than a Kindle. It may just be a mental thing, but I've found that if I hit a particularly slow patch in a book, I'm a little more likely to switch to "Angry Birds" if I'm using an iPad.....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Doesn't matter whether others can or can't concentrate on a specific device. All that matters is using what works for you.

I don't have trouble concentrating. iPad, Kindle, print, whatever. It's all reading to me.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
but I've found that if I hit a particularly slow patch in a book, I'm a little more likely to switch to "Angry Birds" if I'm using an iPad.....
Or turn on the tv...or go get a beer....or stare off and day dream.

But yeah....it's actually NICE to have Angry Birds at your beck and call, and email, and the internet, and Netflix....

Lee
Old 10-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
David71
Enthusiast
David71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
The Kindle is perfect for me. I simply have no need for a tablet. My Kindle and iPod take care of all my multimedia needs when I'm away from home. Well, okay, my reader gets a lot of use at home, too. Heck, I might make a phone call with my cell phone once a week or so. I don't think I've ever even tried to go online with it.

I can certainly understand that other people have different needs than I do and I respect that. Someone I work with was watching a movie on their phone the other day and I thought that would drive me crazy. I love watching movies at home on the little home theater I've put together but have no desire to watch them on a portable device. I'm just glad that there are options for whatever a person might want or need and hope that continues to be the case.
David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well I've only had my hands on an ipad once. (TY cousin bob) It had exactly the problem I expect all touch screens to have. the screen was covered in fingerprints and smudges.

My jetbook has menu buttons, and side # buttons so I never have to touch the screen, so except for a once a month wipe with a soft damp cloth I never have to touch it.

The two other problems are cost and battery life. 10 hours is ok if you are where you can charge it up every night, and make a habit of doing exactly that. As for cost, cousin bobby had the tricked out ipad that cost over 650$.

You know how many Jetbooks I can buy for that?
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The iPad looks fun, but even if I had one, I'd don't think I'd use it much. I like reading on my Kindle, and I like using my computer at my desk, with my large monitor and keyboard. Maybe it was designed for people with more free time than I have.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
The iPad looks fun, but even if I had one, I'd don't think I'd use it much. I like reading on my Kindle, and I like using my computer at my desk, with my large monitor and keyboard. Maybe it was designed for people with more free time than I have.
L.J.
Maybe. I don't enjoy sitting at a desk unless I'm working. I also make sure I have lots more free time than most people. I highly recommend it, iPad or not, lol.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Maggie, I'm moving in that direction (more free time). Meanwhile, I feel fortunate that I enjoy my work.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
Meanwhile, I feel fortunate that I enjoy my work.
L.J.
Yup, definitely. Love my work. Love my free time. Love my iPad, at least for now, lol.