Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Google Play Books app run on Android e-ink devices?
No, it doesn't run/can't be installed. 0 0%
Yes, it does run, but completely unusable as it was designed for LCD screens. 0 0%
Yes, it does run, it's the best app for reading ePub books. 1 25.00%
Yes, it does run, but there're better options with wireless upload/sync. 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #16
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
... the ability to adjust the frontlight below some arbitrary level without darkening the background with black. You see, most LCD screens can dial down the back-light only to a certain level and then the app starts using darker and darker background to turn the light further down on such screen. When the app (my beloved CoolReader) starts doing that on e-ink screen the results are disastrous. And for me light at 20% is way too much under any lighting conditions.
Yeah, that's a valid concern. I know there's an Xposed module to expand configurability of the backlight, it probably would have worked with the e-ink backlight as well, if it wasn't for the ancient Android, not sure if there's an Xposed for Android before KitKat.

Quote:
When I find a book that jumps to the top of my "To Be Read" pile I start an ftp server on my Android device, copy book from PC and switch off the ftp server 30 seconds later.
I'm glad that works for you, to me it sounds like a huge PITA. If you need physical access to both reader and computer at the time of transfer, I would have just as well plugged the reader into computer. I got spoiled by Kindle, where I could push titles from my computer to cloud and then *when convenient* would pull them onto Kindle.

Quote:
Also have a look at OPDS.
Thanks for the tip about OPDS. I totally see how that would be a preferred solution for people with thousands of books (and how Play Books web-site probably is inadequate or significantly less convenient to them).
However, I *only* use the "To Be Read" pile. My grandpa was a very hard worker and an avid books collector, which he hoped he'd read when he retired. Sadly, with his late retirement came old age and many health problems which prevented him from reading almost at all.
So I'm not interested in just collecting the books (even electronic) which I'm not going to be reading right away or at least in the next 6 months. With my modest reading needs OPDS with its burden of using Calibre is definitely an overkill, even if the setup wouldn't take any time at all.

Quote:
Other people like to use Calibre Companion app on their Android devices and run Calibre server on their home PC. There are quite a few people that have static IP at home and run Calibre server on their home computer accessible on the Internet (as long as you know the IP address and port number).
If I ended up running an OPDS server, then rather than keeping an open port on a public IP (doesn't matter static or dynamic), I would have used hamachi. No need to have static IP, remember the ip address and is way more secure.
Ah, ancient Android, not sure if it supports PPTP.

Quote:
Please notice I haven't mentioned using DropBox or other on-line file service to host books ;-)
That's right, but own OPDS server is even worse! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
if that's your user case, then great, playbooks works just fine
Please confirm which device/ROM you have personally tested that.

Quote:
but you originally asked specifically about playbooks on an android (e-ink specifically) and whether or not there were better options
If you cared to read my original post, I specifically asked how well Play Books app works on e-ink Android devices. All the options in the poll are there to confirm wherever Play Books app works or not. If you decide to use last option of the poll as a reason to preach something else, having zero experience using Play Books app on the e-ink Android device yourself, please go somewhere else.

Quote:
I miss an option in the pool:
- I have Android device and I have never bothered to install (or even start, in case it came pre-installed ) Google Play Books
I don't care for that option. As I just pointed out, all the options in the poll are to confirm/deny Play Books app works. If it turns out I can't use Play Books app, I'll look at alternative solutions. May I just note tho, that the Play Books app is a first app in "The big list of apps" thread. I find it surprising that you didn't explore that option (possibly not a replacement of your ways, but out of curiosity and the desire to learn), considering that you're most likely a maven in the e-readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
As far as I can tell it works on my T68 Boyue reader. I just installed it to check for the OP the page turn button and sync etc work. But a regular user might find problems which I didn't find in 10 min of use.
I don't use it as it is not configurable enough when it comes to the look of the text etc. And anyway the page sync requires the wifi to be on which I turn on only when I want to connect calibre companion to calibre.
Thank you so much for checking it out! I couldn't find that specific model tho. So when you say T68 Boyue -- do you mean OnyxBoox T68 which is running some Boyue ROM? Also, did you not have any issues posted below during your 10 minutes use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenween View Post
On my Energy Reader Pro+ (Boyue T62+) the app doesn't work well: after a few turn pages the margins get shifted and the next page starts appearing on the left side of the screen.
Thank you so much for checking it out! As I'm planning on getting T63, your hardware is probably closest. As reported here, the version of the Play Books app matters. Which version of Play Books did you try? Was it older or newer than 3.5.15? Can you please try 3.5.15 (there are many sites which host old APKs, this link worked for me).

Last edited by stangri; 12-09-2016 at 04:39 PM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #17
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
I can't tell if you're just intentionally being obtuse, or if english isn't your native language

you specifically wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it does run, but there're better options with wireless upload/sync
but then complain about "better options with wireless upload/sync"
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2016, 03:41 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Post Removed due to guideline violation --

Please refrain from calling other members trolls as this is against our guidelines. Thanks. Also please be aware that any member may post in any thread their opinion on a subject matter. Let's keep it civil. Thanks.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-10-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:03 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I don't care for that option.
I find it surprising that you didn't explore that option (possibly not a replacement of your ways, but out of curiosity and the desire to learn), considering that you're most likely a maven in the e-readers.
We are talking about e-ink Android devices.
What I saw on a non-e-ink devices was enough to satisfy my curiosity .
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #20
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I missed typed I meant boyue T62
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #21
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
If you can sideload Play - you can get Google books. I've sideloaded once, onto a Chinese tablet. Google uses the one ring format - almost everything is tied to your Gmail account.

I like Android, but I don't like Google. I've looked at what is available on the inkBOOK and decided I didn't want most of it. Did D/L a couple of the readers, didn't like them and deleted. The reader on the book is just fine. I don't need the fonts. We did typesetting in design, but it's for my reading pleasure so pretty and new typefaces don't apply. I'm happy with what I got.

I prefer to buy from independents as much as I can. I absolutely hate seeing "recommended for you" 99% of the time, it's wrong.

With Google Books - there's a list of all books on your dashboard. You get a couple of freebies from Google, and you can't delete the damn books from your Google account if they are not the type of literature you want. These probably keep getting added to top seller lists which is not fair.

Last edited by Alpha o; 12-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #22
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
If you can sideload Play - you can get Google books. I've sideloaded once, onto a Chinese tablet. Google uses the one ring format - almost everything is tied to your Gmail account.
Google Play app lets you just buy the books. If you try to access the 'My books' area, they tells you to download the GBook app. Since it's such a circular ecosystem I was hoping they would have at least implemented some way to send your dowloadble files to the GDrive account directly, rather that run circles if you haven't access to the app

Anyway, Play Books v. 3.15.5 has not the same issue, but the page buttons works only if you have the 3D effect for page turning activated (which on e-ink is terrible), else you have to go via touch screen.

I decided to uninstall it also because it requires Play Services to be used, which is suspected to cause the sistem to randomly reboot while the device is asleep. I had found a way around to using GBooks ny downloading them via Browser to Aldiko, though.
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #23
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
I can't tell if you're just intentionally being obtuse, or if english isn't your native language

you specifically wrote:

but then complain about "better options with wireless upload/sync"
Oh, the irony! Talk about being obtuse! Talk about poor command of the language!

Quote:
So I'm wondering if anyone had used the Google Play Books app on their e-ink Android devices and what has experience been like.
Quote:
That's why I'm looking for the feedback specifically on Google Play Books.
Quote:
I'm soliciting feedback on wherever it (Google Play Books) works.
Quote:
If you cared to read my original post, I specifically asked how well Play Books app works on e-ink Android devices. All the options in the poll are there to confirm wherever Play Books app works or not.
As I just pointed out, all the options in the poll are to confirm/deny Play Books app works.
If it all is still too subtle of a hint for you -- I don't care *at all* for the opinions of people who haven't used Play Books on e-ink device.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #24
stangri
Addict

OK, so after long deliberation I've ordered T63 and about a week later (impressive amidst holidays) it arrived to my door.

Play Books was a breeze to install and use after I side-loaded Play Store. Everything works just fine -- books upload/download, sync (I can continue reading on my phone or tablet where I left off on T63), page turns (and they are much-much faster than I expected with the animation effects turned off).

Not sure which version of Play Books I ended up with (whichever was the latest at the time), but everything works on T63 just as well as it did on the proper Android devices.

The great thing of using Play Books is that it allows you to manage screen brightness from the app, without leaving it. It's not e-ink friendly tho -- when you start pushing slider to the far left, it does start to darken the color of the background, however there's plenty of adjustment available before it gets to that point.

Play Books is infinitely superior to any other reading app.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't care for that option. As I just pointed out, all the options in the poll are to confirm/deny Play Books app works. If it turns out I can't use Play Books app, I'll look at alternative solutions.
Play books is pre-installed on my Yotaphone 2. So I guess it has to work to some extent. There are only a few apps pre-installed, most of them related to the second e-ink screen (on Yotaphone called always-on-screen).

I tried to use it, so could report my experience here. In order to read the book the app wanted to upload the book somewhere first. I refused to allow that, the app refused to display the book for reading.
For me the app HAS to work off-line and can't require that I upload the book somewhere first. Google knows waaaay too much about me as it is.
*Now* I remember why I gave up after first few tries to use play books in the past (on a non-eink devices).

Please note that YotaPhone 2 is the best of two worlds. On one side you have beautiful, responsive, full HD AMOLED display so you can use any android app without any limitations, on the back you have the e-ink display (sadly without a front-light) for reading books. You have special YotaReader optimized for use on both screens, but you can display ANY Android app on the e-ink and work with it.

Last edited by kacir; 01-10-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #26
stangri
Addict

Quote:
Play books is pre-installed on my Yotaphone 2. I tried to use it, so could report my experience here.
Thank you for your detailed reply.

Quote:
For me the app HAS to work off-line and can't require that I upload the book somewhere first. Google knows waaaay too much about me as it is.
To me this sounds like a silly concern considering how much other information is collected by various domestic and foreign actors from your mobile devices.

Quote:
Please note that YotaPhone 2 is the best of two worlds. On one side you have beautiful, responsive, full HD AMOLED display so you can use any android app without any limitations, on the back you have the e-ink display (sadly without a front-light) for reading books. You have special YotaReader optimized for use on both screens, but you can display ANY Android app on the e-ink and work with it.
Yeah, it was a serious contender for me, also because it still supports Qi-charging which was dropped from Nexus/Pixel line as of 2015.

I was concerned about:
1. Price for the original one with support for domestic LTE networks. AFAIK the "clone" ones do not support the same bands as the original.
2. The e-ink screen is small for a full-time reader and like you pointed out, no backlight on it.
3. Long-term updates/support if it was used as a primary mobile device. I'm more concerned about updates patching known bugs/exploits than the big brother snooping on me (reason being, there's little I can do without going to extremes about snooping and there's a lot I can do about being exploit-free).

Ultimately, as I switched to Project Fi I'm limited to nexus/pixel devices, but for someone who isn't limited by the carrier/bands I see how Yota phone could be a great device to supplement a full-time reader.

Last edited by stangri; 01-10-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
To me this sounds like a silly concern considering how much other information is collected by various domestic and foreign actors from your mobile devices.
Actually, there are three silly concerns here:
1. I am seldom on-line with my phone. For making actual phonecalls I still hang on an ancient Nokia that can make and receive calls and send/receive SMS. That is it. It needs to be charged less than once a week and is small enough to be worn on my belt in a luxurious custom-made leather pouch. I will have to start using other device to make calls and it will most probably be the Yotaphone. I still do not plan to purchase a data plan for it. So when I am outside of a [free or my own] WiFi range I am offline and I like it that way. So the app HAS to work offline so that I can start reading a new book when I am on holiday or somewhere outside immediate WiFi access.
2. I do not like the fact that somebody collects data about me. I am not paranoid, but when I have a choice I prefer to stay under the radar. I register each of my Android devices under different name, for example, not used for any other purpose.
3. I often read side-loaded books and I would really prefer not to upload the files on a server that is not under my control. There have been so many *massive* data breaches and thefts recently and so many shocking security holes came to the light recently that I wish to minimize my presence whenever I can without being too paranoid.
Quote:
1. Price for the original one with support for domestic LTE networks. AFAIK the "clone" ones do not support the same bands as the original.
I personally do not care for LTE. I have never been connected on-line using an cellular network on my phone and I do not plan in a foreseeable future.
I have the ability to connect in an emergency, using 3G and pay-as-you-go connection - that connection has a very reasonable cost and is capped to about 50 Euro Cents per 24 hour period. I have never been in an emergency where I needed to activate the service to read an urgent work-related email or look up a train time-table or something.
There are NO YotaPhone clones.
There are just two models - 206 and 201.
I think that 206 is with Chinese LTE bands and 201 is with European ones. 201 was slightly more expensive last time I looked.
YotaPhone 206 costs about 110Euro at the moment. That would be a great price for such a high-end phone even if it did not have the gorgeous e-ink on the back. I could just get one on a whim as a toy and an on-the-move reader and a possible replacement for my trusty ancient Nokia dumbphone.
Quote:
2. The e-ink screen is small for a full-time reader and like you pointed out, no backlight on it.
Yes. But as a device you carry in your coat pocket so that you can read 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there, plus make photos, look up time-tables and have an Android media device it is fantastic.
As my main reader I use a 6" Android e-ink reader with frontlight.
Quote:
3. Long-term updates/support if it was used as a primary mobile device. I'm more concerned about updates patching known bugs/exploits than the big brother snooping on me
I got it with Android 4.4, I think. I have downloaded an update and took a windows PC out of mothballs to update it to higher system, because 4.4 can't be updated Over The Air.
At the moment it has Android 5.0 and there is public 6.0 beta being tested by Russian developers. There is a thread on the XDA-developers forum with many betatesters reporting. You can even side-load the beta at the moment if you like living on the edge. I am happy with my 5.0 at the moment. My demands are modest - the main one is being able to display a book on a front and back display in a reasonable manner.
PLEASE NOTE: an app in a default mode doesn't display text in a satisfactory mode. There is a fast 1bit graphics mode and 16shades of grey mode, plus various levels of refresh and anti-aliasing. I have been playing with the settings and I still haven't found a setting I would be happy with for other installed reading apps, such as CoolReader or AlReader. I wanted to see Play Books, because it is installed by default and I thought it might have better settings for e-ink that I could copy to other apps.
At the moment I am using YotaReader that has reasonable defaults (and *very* few configurable options). But it displays fonts on the e-ink side very well.

I was curious and wanted to see formatting options and the quality of the text on the e-ink side in a Play Books app. Is there a way to display book without uploading it first?
Is there a way to start reading a new, side-loaded book while I am off-line on Play Books?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #28
stangri
Addict

We're getting completely off-topic, but given the moderators tolerance for disruptive behavior of other forum members, I don't see how that could be restrained.

Quote:
There are NO YotaPhone clones.
There are just two models - 206 and 201.
I think that 206 is with Chinese LTE bands and 201 is with European ones. 201 was slightly more expensive last time I looked.
While you're right, I did mean 206 vs 201, there absolutely are yotaphone clones, there's Flag D1 (which is slightly different size), but there was one more, I forgot the brand which was exactly like yotaphone.

IMHO the usage scenario you've described doesn't make you any more safe.