Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #316
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Far from it. Just not young enough to have been brainwashed. It is acceptable to confine people who are healthy? Against their will? Because they might be infectious sometime in the future? And to do this indefinitely?

Every healthy person is now Typhoid Mary without proof of contagious disease? Until when?
Not because they will be infectious someday. Because asking people to stay at home keeps them from getting infected by those twits who are infected and don't stay home.

As a fine example, we have that 78 year old gentleman who went in to work despite being sick because "he did not want to leave his employer short-handed". His employer was shut down which might have been just slightly worse for production than if he had stayed home, three of his co-workers have died and 102 more have tested positive. As one reporter wrote: "one JBS employee told her they were asked to take off a protective face mask they were wearing, "because it could scare employees.""

In a rather morbid way, it was rather funny to see an American politician trying to use the First Amendment to the US constitution to justify not staying at home—the right of the people peaceably to assemble was being violated. As was their right to qualify for a Darwin award.

Hey,it's not as bad the massive increase in the number of calls to poison control centers after some American politician violated the old saw about it being better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt by suggesting ingesting or injecting disinfectants might be a good way to combat COVID-19.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:52 AM   #317
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You personally know anyone healthy who's been arrested, fined, imprisoned or otherwise hindered in any way for breaking "confinement?"

Yes. I think it's perfectly acceptable to ASK people to shelter in place indefinitely. To limit their contact with others, and to limit their themselves to essential trips. And I think it's quite normal for reasonably intelligent people to see the wisdom of such requests and not resort to inaccurate and hyperbolic comparisons to "confinement" or "imprisonment" when the truth is much more mundane and reasonable than what your petulant idealism wants to try and blow it all up into.
Ah. Now we are "asking" people to stay home? It was called a "stay at home ORDER" was it not? Business were MANDATED to be closed. And people who do not stay home are being called dumb, selfish, dangerous, responsible for deaths, and now petulant. I see beach goers being put in handcuffs, paddle boarders arrested, and people cheer that action. There are lists of fines to try and ENFORCE the stay at home edicts, but not in my state of residence. I don't know anyone arrested or fined because that is expressly prohibited by my states Governor.

If it were only a request, I would have nothing to say here. If it were just a difference of opinions, I would not begrudge or belittle those that chose to stay at home. In fact, I am helping some I care for to stay at home because they believe they need to stay home. As I have said before, it is up to each person to protect themselves as they see fit, not for anyone else to impose.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:12 AM   #318
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
And this thread is called, what, quiet times? Hm.-)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #319
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
They haven't peaked down here. Between April 2nd and April 27th we have more than doubled in cases.
Apache
Could be. The link I gave you is likely the data the Kemp is going off when making decisions. Keep in mind that that the whole flatten the curve is about making sure that hospital facilities aren't overrun, not to eliminate all cases. The hospitalizations is likely one of the big things they are looking at.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #320
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Thread closed. It seems impossible to keep away from politics on this topic for some reason.

Any further discussion of the pandemic should take place in P&R, or in a new thread in the lounge if people promise to keep off politics.
Closed Thread