Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
bertbarling
bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle
100% Off Coupon for Empire Zero, a Post-Fantasy ebook (Expires Nov 4th)

Hello everyone!

After almost two years of back-and-forth with various agents, I decided to self-publish.

It’s hard out there, though; harder than I expected. It’s been a few months now and I’ve made, oh, four or five sales in total. So, because of this, I’m trying to expose as many people as possible to my story the only way I know how—by offering it for free.

If you have the time and inclination, please give it a download and a quick look-over. If you think it’s terrible and only read the first couple of pages, please post here and let me know what exactly made you feel that way. And if you get halfway through it but put it aside for something else, let me know that, too, and tell me where exactly you stopped. I’m trying to get better at this whole writing thing and friends & family have been too polite to give me any kind of criticism that I can work with.

So, here's my story's little blurb:

Magic is a near-forgotten memory, its appearance primarily relegated to embellished barroom tales and children’s bedtime stories. The world’s dragon population has been obliterated, long ago driven into extinction by the heroes of yesteryear. Yet, even without dragons, the world still remains one of danger, hardship, and oppression.

Dwarves have taken the highest seat in the social hierarchy, exploiting ogres and gremlins in their prosperous industrial cities as a cheap source of menial labor—a necessity that ensures their world-spanning empire’s continued stability. Most elves now live in exile, banished from civilized lands for their abuse of the arcane arts. Even the orcs are scarcely seen, their race doomed to a slow decline after the eradication of their dragon masters. For the wealthy bureaucrats that now rule the Dwarven Empire, the world is nearly the idyllic paradise envisioned ages ago.

Recently, however, human settlements have begun to appear inside dwarven territory. Many speculate a dwarven invasion of these settlements would have already begun if not for the threat of rare human women, nicknamed “flamedancers,” who inherently command the primal force of fire. It is rumored, though, that the dwarven factory-city of Rosary has developed a solution to this obstacle, and soon nothing—not even the flamedancers—will be able save humankind from destruction.

If this sounds interesting to you, you can "purchase" a copy from Smashwords at

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/240537

and then use the coupon code:

MJ62H

to get the ebook for free (please let me know if you're having any issues here!). This coupon code should be good until next Sunday.

bertbarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was looking for something a little different. I've downloaded it and read the first couple of chapters. I think I'll keep going. Thanks!
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
bertbarling
bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.bertbarling has never been to obedience school.

Cool, glad you've liked what you've read so far! Thanks for giving it a chance
Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks - so far, so good
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Got my copy. Thanks. Sounds interesting
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Cool, thanks for posting this. I've been looking for something to read at work today.
Pete731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
gdimike
gdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't litter

Device: nook classic, kobo Wifi, Kindle, Kindle Touch
Got it, thanks. It's in the in buffer, I hope to get to it soon-ish. I'm in the throes of nanowrimo at the moment.
gdimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Finished it this morning, good book, I left a review on the Smashwords page. I got the book free, but having read it, .99$ is well worth it. Will be buying the second one when it comes out (I hope?)
Pete731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
bertbarling

Hey everyone! I just want to thank you all for giving my story a chance. You're all amazing, beautiful people and I really hope you find something in there that you enjoy. Sorry this "thank you" is so late, but I guess the policy here is that I'm only allowed to post on this board once every seven days
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertbarling View Post
Hey everyone! I just want to thank you all for giving my story a chance. You're all amazing, beautiful people and I really hope you find something in there that you enjoy. Sorry this "thank you" is so late, but I guess the policy here is that I'm only allowed to post on this board once every seven days
Thanking someone - without promotion - is allowed. (Your earlier post was deleted because you combined those two activities.)

Self-Promotion is every seven (7) days. Anything less than that is considered spamming MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote